Chapter 11

Artificial Smiles

Another morning, a new start. That just now was my attempt on being optimistic. But let us be honest. What is so great about getting up extra early to do the homework you did not feel like doing last night and then running to catch the bus, to have an awkward moment where you see Taehyung and are unsure if you should talk to him because of what had happened the day before. Then, you decide to just nod towards him and sit down in another seat and try putting on that stupid tie that just won’t listen to you. All in all, mornings . A lot. With this great, sunny attitude I trudge into class.

“Someone had a good night’s sleep,” Yuri commented. Nara and Soyou look up.

“Good morning to you too,” I grumble and plump into my seat. I hadn’t slept much. A certain boy had kept invading my thoughts. He had followed me home. To make sure I got home alright. It had been so touching. He had been so open towards me yesterday. But today in the bus he only nodded back towards me. Back to his overly cool self.

“What crawled up your pants and died?” Nara poked my shoulder with her perfectly sharpened pencil. I just sighed. No way was I confessing that thoughts of Taehyung had kept me up all night. Neither was I confessing that I had to get up at 5:00 in the morning to do the homework I was too distracted to do last night.

“I got my period,” I grumble. It was not a lie. I really did. And that could be the reason I am even more groggy than usual. Nara patted my shoulder in sympathy. Only another girl could understand the pain and the struggle of being a girl. Guys should appreciate us girls more. They don’t know the annoyance of having a period.

“Hang in there, dear friend,” Nara dramatically sighed and patted my head. I rolled my eyes and shooed her hands away. “Damn, you really aren’t a pleasure to be around during your time of the month!” Nara laughed and skipped back to her seat.

“Hello Class! Today we will be having company. Come on in,” our teacher bombarded into the classroom suddenly, so all the students scrambled to find their seat. Behind the homeroom teacher were around five other students, filing in from the hallway. “Mrs. Lee is pregnant and has therefore stopped working, so they had to be split up between the other four classes. Please welcome them with a warm heart.” I looked out the window, disinterested. It was only my third day here, so I didn’t know anyone anyway. Yuri turned around to me and kicked my shoes.

“Jungkook is joining our class,” she whispers, with an evil grin on her face. I pitied Soyou. “Let’s make sure to get those two together as much as possible.” I sighed. I could already see it in front of me. Jungkook and Soyou, locked inside some closet. Both blushing and stuttering, unsure of what to talk about. I pitied Soyou. She was going to be having a lot of awkward moments. I watched as Nara and Yuri exchanged grins. Those two should be stopped. But who was I to forbid them a little fun? Maybe they really could bring Soyou and Jungkook together.

“Excuse me, teacher,” Nara raised her hand. Beside her Soyou was blushing and kept peeking at the cute boy with the cheek smile who was currently staring intently at his shoes. “Maybe we should change the seating order, so that the new classmates won’t all have to sit in the back and feel excluded.” I giggled as I saw Soyou nod her head enthusiastically. Maybe fate would seat them beside each other?

“”That is a brilliant plan, Nara. Let us follow through with it. Everyone get up and pack your things. I will quickly make slips with the table numbers on them,” the teacher waved his hands at us, hurrying our actions. Nara rushed over to us with Soyou.

“Alright, listen up. We’ve got four chances to seat Soyou beside Jungkook. Whoever sits beside him, changes their number with Soyou, alright?” Nara whispers. Soyou is blushing.

“You don’t have to. Really,” she murmurs. Yuri smiles up at her and zips up her bag.

“Of course we don’t have to, but we want to,” she simply states and got up from her desk. She kicks my foot again. Damn could she stop that? And why was the person behind me breathing so loud? Why were there students here? Why am I in school? Why am I a frickin girl?

“Unnie?” Nara nudges me. I look up.

“Sorry, everything is just annoying me,” I sigh and got up, slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

“Sorry Lucy,” Soyou looks at me with guilty eyes.

“Nono, not you. Of course I want you to sit next to Jungkook!” I quickly correct the misunderstanding. Someone as sweet as Soyou could not annoy me. Even when I was on my period and craving chocolate.

“Alright, come up and grad a slip. No switching!” the teacher proclaims and holds up a bowl full of paper slips, setting it dramatically on the teacher’s desk. Students push to get a slip. Nara and Yuri throw themselves into the group, trying to get slips. I hung back with Soyou. Pushing and shoving was not my style. I could just take the last slip. Soyou seemed to be of the same opinion. Jungkook came out of the group of kids, with a slip gripped in his hands. He recognizes me and comes over.

“H-hey, remember me?” Jungkook stutters and shyly smiles. Soyou tenses up next to me, and begins fidgeting with her blazer.

“Yeah, you fell on the track. Jungkook, right?” I pretend to not quite know him. “What number do you have?” I innocently ask. NO, dear Jungkook, I am not trying to set you up with my friend. Kekeke. He opens up his palm and flattens the crumpled slip of paper.

“Nine,” he says.

“Oh really? That is cool. You have a seat right in the middle of the classroom. I hope you get to sit beside people you know!” I smiled at him. All I was thinking of was the number nine. If he was right in the middle, then there were four seats where Soyou could sit to be beside him or behind/in front of him. This raised our chances of getting a seat beside Jungkook!

“Well, I don’t really talk to many people. I only kinda know you and those from my class from before, but I don’t really talk to them. They don’t like me or something,” Jungkook mumbles, looking around at the scurrying students trying to find their seats and comparing numbers.

“What? How could you think that, everyone likes you. You are so sweet and kind, how could they not.” I looked at the petite girl beside me, in shock. Her eyes became even more round, realizing she just said that aloud. Jungkook was taken aback, and nervously let out a little chuckle.

“Meet my friend, Soyou. She is really nice, and you would be lucky to be seated next to her,” I introduce Soyou. Nara and Yuri would be proud. My matchmaking skills were on point.

“Soyou, Unnie!” Nara skipped up to us. We got you guys your slips as well. Let’s see if one of us is seated next to-“ Yuri nudges her from the side and points with her chin towards Jungkook. “…Jungkook,” Nara’s voice faded away.

“Hello? D-do I know you, since you seem to know my name,” Jungkook sweetly asks. “I am sorry, but I don’t remember y-you. Could you help me out?” Nara quickly gains her composure and smiles up at him.

“No, I just know you because you are poular and gossiped about a lot,” she said. I laughed, seeing Jungkook’s horrified expression. He was going to have to get used to Nara’s honesty. I know, buddy, it can be mindblowing. Nara doesn’t seem to notice though and keeps her smile on. Soyou became beet red in embarrassment though.

“Well, I will go sit down at my desk then before the teacher scolds me,” Jungkook said, and gave a weak wave. Yuri and Nara waved back, all innocent. As soon as he turned his back they became businesslike.

“So what number does he have?” Yuri whispers, looking at me. I told her nine. Nara and Yuri unfolded all our slips and looked.

“Five, twenty, fifteen and seven. Dammit!” Nara grumbles.

“Ugh, I got number eight again,” a boy beside us complained to his friend. Nara perked her ears and snatched the number twenty.

“Psst, Jiro. Wanna trade? I have number twenty. It is in the back of the class, so you can always sleep during history,” she grins wickedly at him, not really giving him a choice as she gently pries his slip from his fingers and replaces it with the twenty. He can only nod, captured by her smile. She turns back around to us and proudly holds the number eight in the middle for all of us to see. “See?” she says, and flips a loose strand of hair behind her. “All it took was a little fate.”

“You call that fate? You stole the eight from someone else,” I teased. She just rolled her eyes and placed it in Soyou’s hand.

“And why the number twenty? I wanted that one to sleep undisturbed!” Yuri whined. Nara gave her the seven.

“And that is why you get the seven. So you will not sleep, but be forced to stay awake in the front of the class.” Yuri groaned. Nara was so businesslike, Yuri didn’t dare talk back to her. Nara handed me both slips. “Which one?” she askes me.

“Hey! Lulu gets to pick?” Yuri exclaims. Nara raises one perfectly plucked eyebrow at her. Yuri grumbles and begins moving towards her seat. I giggled. Those two… And Soyou was just the slip with the number eight on it lovingly. I nudged her.

“Stop doing that, it is just weird. Go sit down and talk to him!” I whisper. Soyou looks up at me in disbelief.

“Talk to him? ME?” I sigh and took the fifteen.

“I think you should sit closer to Soyou and Jungkook, Nara,” I say. “You know, to make sure the whole matchmaking thing works.”

“Good thinking, Soyou will need to be forced. She is way too shy when it comes to Jungkook,” Nara nodded and picked up her bag from the ground. I watched the three of them. Yuri was next to the an empty desk beside the window. Beside her was Soyou, who was beside Jungkook. He glanced over at her and tried to smile, but she hid behind her hair in fright. I laughed to myself. Nara moved over to her desk with grace, and slid onto her seat which was right before Jungkook. And me? I made my way to the back of the classroom, the second to last row, being the loner that I was. When everyone was settled in, there were still two slips and two empty seats. We looked around, confused. Who else was coming?

“Sorry for the tardiness,” two students stumbled into the classroom, out of breath. One was Eunji, and the other Taehyung. Both pulled out the last two slips and unfolded them. There was a hush in the classrooms. There were two empty seats for the Ice Queen and Ice Prince. One was beside Yuri, and the other behind me. Taehyung looked up and scanned the classroom. His eyes stopped when he reached me. He then looked over me and made his way down the aisle. Eunji followed him. Taehyung passed the window seat. Eunji stopped in front of it and glanced at Yuri.

“Taehyung?” she called out. Everyone watched, holding their breath. Taehyung looked back, and raised an eyebrow. “Can we switch seats?” she holds out her slip towards him. He looks down at his slip and back to me.

“No switching!” the teacher commands. Taehyung shrugs and makes his way to his seat. He settles in. I can feel his eyes on me. I run a hand through my hair, cursing at myself for not having brushed it this morning. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around.

“Today, lunch, library,” he curtly says. Everyone gasps. Of course, they had to have heard. Then Eunji sighs and slides onto her seat, right beside Yuri. A murmur goes around the classroom. This will become some juicy gossip. Yuri and the Ice Queen, former best friends, now seated together. Was it fate. I saw Yuri squirm in her seat, and shoot daggers over at Nara. Nara mouthed sorry and then turned around to face the front. Yuri turned around to me. `Í have it worse´ I mouthed over, pointing behind me. She rolled her eyes and wiggled her eyebrows. I groaned. Why was all of this happening to me today of all days? As if my period wasn’t torture already.

“Well then, I hope you are all pleased with your seating neighbors,” the teacher clapped his hands together, ending the topic. Eunji raised her hand. “Yes, Eunji?”

“I am not happy,” she simply states. Yuri’s shoulders slumped.

“Well, that is too bad. There will be no switching,” the teacher replies. “Now, let us begin with Math!” he merrily says. “Everyone get out your math books and turn to page…” I zoned him out, and watched Yuri’s head slowly sink onto the desk as if to sleep. Eunji glances over and they have eye contact for a moment before she rolls her eyes and gets out her math book. Yuri´s head lifts up and she grabs her math stuff and looks at the board. I wonder what will happen with those two in time. I avert my gaze to Jungkook and Soyou. Soyou keeps glancing over at him. That adorable girl. She should also concentrate on Math though! I feel a kick at the back of my chair. Taehyung leans over.

“Better pay attention, Lucy. You are going to have to explain all of this to me later,” he whispers. I groan and hit my head on the table.

“Everything alright, Lucy?” the teacher asks.

“Yes, teacher, everything is great,” I brightly reply. Everything is just frickin great.