Chapter III Part II

Nightmares from My Past

“You dreamt it again?” it happens every single year.

“Yup.” I don’t have any appetite to eat at all.

“You have to.” I should do a change. I know that.

“Go to school?” I said in a high voice.

“After school, you can go visit him.” Worst day of my life.

On the way to school:
“Amma, let’s go straight to the cemetery.” I have to look cute to please her. But the problem is, she’s not Oppa. It only works on him.

“Anio, you need to go to school.” Not looking at me straight in the eyes.

“Mom don’t do this.” We are already at school. 

“Be strong my baby girl.” Do I really have to?

“I just can’t believe that my mom did this.” I was walking in the hallway talking to myself. But I notice that no one is around. It’s super quiet. I went out to find that they are inside the auditorium.

“Sorry I was late.” But the thing that I saw surprised me the most. “What are you guys doing?” I really know what are they doing but I don’t understand.

“Yeon Young what are you doing here?” I saw the principal on the stage.

“Studying?” literally. “Do you do this every year?” I should be happy because they’re giving respect to my brother that much. But at the same time I feel dumb not knowing this all along. Maybe this is the reason why Mom wanted me to go to school today.

“We’re sorry.” For what?

“Kumawoyo.” In a low voice. But I did join them.

The ceremony continued and I have to force myself not to even cry. But then…

“Yeon Young-sshi come here.” He was asking if I could join him on the stage.

“Waeyo? Can’t I just stay here?” Everyone was looking at me.

“Come on. It’s your first time since 5 years ago.” Do I have to?

“So? What should I do?” he pass me the mic.

“Your message to your brother.” My message?

“Uhm, Oppa. I still can’t let you go. I still want you back. All I wanted to say is that…” a drop of tear was form. “I’m sorry. But what I’m saying is that ’A promise is a promise’.” Then I gave the mic back and run off.

What was I doing? How can I possibly move on from this nightmare? Would someone just help me? Save me? But one fact, I can’t be help. A promise will be broken.