Reluctant

You're My Nightingale

“Yonghwa-yah!” a short woman in her 40-ties voice could be heard booming the whole house. Yonghwa wriggled under the cover of his bed hearing his name being called. He pulled the cover tighter around his body shifting to find a more comfortable position as he felt his body ache. He didn’t want to leave the alluring warmth of his bed for the cold air in his room and he didn’t see he had to anyways.

“Yonghwa-yah, wake up already!”

His mother shouted banging the door and barging in furry. Her eyes widen as she laid eyes in her one and only son’s messy room. His dirty clothes were everywhere around the room making it hard to walk without stepping on them, his books stumbled upon the floor and papers were scattered covering bits of dust bunnies hidden from sight. His mother only shook her throbbing head. When Yonghwa didn’t respond his mother marched up to him and pulled his blanket shoving him off his bed. Yonghwa was rolled off with a thud and he grunted.

“Ouch, umma that hurts”

“Wake up we have to get your tux prepared”

“Why in the world and heaven should we do that? Dad is not even getting married yet.” Yonghwa groaned lifting himself from the floor dusting invisible dust off his shoulder. His mother eyed him in disbelief as she saw he still had his t-shirt from yesterday on him, looks like he didn’t even bother to change in his night garments and went straight to sleep after their midnight conversation.

“Your father is not the one to get married but his friend’s daughter is and you are going to be there next week. We’ve talked about that last night remember? Or were you already half dead by then?”

He scratched the back of his head trying to redeem his memories of last night’s conversation and raised his head as he remembered.

“Oh, so it’s next- NEXT WEEK?!” he beamed his eyes widen in surprise at the word ‘next week’. His mother shushed him for being too loud in the morning as he might disturb the neighbours.

“But umma I have a singing competition next week I can’t possibly make it”

“Well you’re just going to have to make it then”

“Umma~” Yonghwa grunted but his mother ignored him and continued cleaning his room. Though Yonghwa never stopped whining and complaining his mother took no notice of anything he said focusing only on picking up his clothes and things lying on the bedroom floor.

“…and its next week”

His mother stopped her work at the simple sentence. She looked at him finding him fidget slightly as their gaze met.

“What about if its next week?” she asked keeping her eyes locked on him. An awkward silence took place in between them then Yonghwa decides to answer her.

“Well… that’s like seven days away we still have lots of time to prepare”

“Well I doubt that you will be prepare in JUST seven days,” her voice low and seemingly a little shaky. She didn’t want to sound disappointed of her son. She tried to hide the disappointment in her voice but weather if she failed or succeeded only Yonghwa knows. She knows better than anyone to procrastinate whenever it comes to picking up the RIGHT clothing’s or tuxedo in this case for her son. Yonghwa is the pickiest person on earth maybe even in the whole galaxy. He only wears branded things and refuses to put them on if he found it stained or has the tiniest hole on them. Everything and every attire must go his way and to his likings if not then they’ll just be thrown out. It was as easy as that.

“Hurry and get ready then come down and eat breakfast,” Yonghwa’s mother turned her gaze away with a sigh focusing on everything but her son. Yonghwa only stared. He knew his mother more than anyone and he knew that he had disappointed her in every way possible.

“Umma I-”

“What is this thing?” she cut him off as she bent down to pick up a small black square plastic and held it up for them both to see. Her eyes widen with furry once again as she registered the word ‘’ printed on it.

“What were you doing with this? You didn’t think of actually-”

“No umma, I would never do that”

“Then why is it here?”

“It’s a friend’s and he kind of dropped it and-”

“Why is it still here? You should’ve thrown it away ages ago!” she beamed and with that she scrunched the and threw it into his dustbin keeping her glare at him.

“I was going to but-”

“You were going to but didn’t,” she cut him with a stern look plastered on her face. Her voice filled with flare and anger.

“You’re not listening to me umma!”

Yonghwa’s mother raised her index finger signalling him to shut his mouth which instantly did.

“How dare you rise your voice against me, I will not tolerate nor listen to your- your- whining any longer. You WILL get ready and come with me to get your tuxedo weather you like it or not and you WILL come to the bridal shower next week understand?!” she snapped.

Yonghwa gave a deep sigh. He was used to her getting angry at him but this was actually the first time she snapped and came bursting like fire. His dirty clothes piled up in his mother’s arms and practically kicking the dustbin his mother walked out of his room muttering her displease under her breath. As the door behind her clicked Yonghwa flung himself back onto his bed resting his hands on his forehead. He sighed then groaned loudly throwing his hands and legs all over, hitting and twisting on his bed. He exhaled loudly as he stopped out of exhaustion. Slowly taking his breath, Yonghwa blinked too taken aback to the previous fight.

“This can’t be happening”

Yonghwa could feel his eye lids become heavier to the swaying of the morning breeze playing with his hair as they make through from his opened bedroom window. He began to shut his eyes and-

“Yonghwa-yah, get up already and go shower!”

“Then again I could be wrong”

Reluctantly getting up of his bed he took his shirt off and snatched the towel from his chair then went to the toilet with a grunt.

 

*******

hey! umm... sorry if it's not good... but i hope you like it~

and please comment !