School

You're My Nightingale

No one’s POV

It was half an hour after Seohyun’s alarm went off did she wake up. Her visions were a blur as the sun’s ray blinded her coming from between her navy blue bedroom curtains. Seohyun’s narrowed eyes scanned the room filled with boxes stacked on one another waiting to be unpacked. She didn’t have time last night to unpack all of her belongings as she had trouble coming to this particular place but she still had to give her gratitude to the wonder boy in sky blue tux that she was able to at least unpack the compulsory items and clothing for today’s school interview.

Wait. School interview… isn’t that… TODAY!

Eyes widen Seohyun jumped out of bed grabbing her alarm clock from under her blankets to take a look at the time.

8.30am.

“Oh no, I’m late!”

The clock flung from her hand and landed on the bed with a crack as she headed for the shower snatching whatever was usable as a towel on sight. With a loud bang that unintentionally woke the whole apartment she took her shower muttering that she was late with every move she makes. She quickly put on her long sleeve black and white stripe shirt and a pair of bleached jeans to match them pulling on her cardigan for the finishing touch. Since Seohyun was used to taking baths without wetting her hair she skipped the drying part and was only left with brushing them.

With a little dap of lip gloss and a spray of perfume she dashed for the door grabbing her black heel along the way and locked the door once she was out. She didn’t even bother to wear her heels as she ran down the hall to the elevator. The elevator doors opened with a ‘ting’ revealing an old granny waiting inside holding two children’s hand at either side. They were wearing the same purple shirt and beige shorts but one of them had on a red cap.

“Haimoni, why is she not wearing any shoes?” the red cap child asked pointing at Seohyun’s feet and pulling at his grandmother’s sleeve.

“Ish! Don’t talk about strangers that way, especially when they’re that crazy,” her grandmother shushed placing her index finger on her lips. If she was trying to prevent Seohyun from hearing their conversation then she did not do a good job.

“Is she a crazy person with no shoe?”

“Taepil-ah!”

They continued to whisper loudly about her. After putting on her shoes, Seohyun turned to look at the boy and his grandmother, they instantly fell shut without a word to utter. Luckily for Seohyun the granny and her grandchildren were off right after that so she wouldn’t have to hear any more of their nonsense not that they dared to make another.

“Come on, come on I’m late already don’t be any slower,” Seohyun was fidgeting all over and was shaking her hands everywhere.

When the elevator finally reached the ground floor, she sprang forward in full speed directly out the door uttering a quick ‘I’m off’ to the ajuma standing behind a huge pot of flowers. If she wasn’t mistaken, they were called Camellia but she didn’t have time to think of that, all there was in her mind was she was late.

“Ouch! Watch where you’re going!” Seohyun heard a voice shout as she suddenly felt a jolt of pain on her head. She didn’t stop running neither did she turn to look at the person, she just quickly muffled a sorry and went on, though she didn’t aspect the guy to hear anyways.

 

Yonghwa’s POV

I woke up with a throbbing headache. The sun seeping from my smoky grey blinds was already burning my eyes dragging me from dreamland. I don’t remember leaving the blinds opened last night. Slowly I opened my eyes adjusting to the surroundings until my vision came clear. An old woman’s face, bros almost meeting in between her eyes with a big frown came in visible fixing her eyes on mine. She seemed angry.

“Yonghwa-yah, wake up you’re going to be late!” she shouted completely taking me in surprise. I jolted backward hitting my head on the wall and rolled out of bed with a grunt.

“Umma what are you doing here early in the morning? No one’s getting married yet,” I whined looking at her in confusion rubbing the back of my head and trying to get back to bed. My mom grabbed me and spun me around to face her. I winced under her grasp.

“Married? You have school today and if you don’t wake up and take your shower you’re going to be late!” she snapped. I only blinked uninterested fumbling with my lower lip.

“So?” I manage to say after considering her word.

My mom gritted her teeth in disbelief. Her face became a scarlet to the rush of blood from anger. I thought I saw smokes come out from her nose and ears.

“YONGHWA!”

I swiftly ducked when mom’s hand flung aiming at my head and stumbling to get away from her before she got another chance to do it again. Grinning, I ran for the shower door and right before I completely disappear from view I gave mom a flying kiss which made her throw a towel to my face in anger. All I can do now is to compromise… well at least for now.

After a -purposely- long shower, I put on my lucky red polo shirt and wore my school uniforms pulling it down to cover up the red lining that was sticking out from under my shirt, took my bag then headed for the door. I didn’t bother combing my hair whiles dry it. I charged for the door and left unnoticed fiddling with the ends of my jacket.

“Man it’s sure cold outside,”

I stopped in my pace to the sound coming from the front gate. My eyes met Jonghyun’s as he stood leaning against the gate. He looked tidy in his uniform tucked in and shiny shoe.

“You do know that it’s against the rules to be wearing that kind of shirt,” he said pointing at the line of red visible behind my collar.

“As if you don’t know me,” I countered utterly amused.

“And yet they never kicked you out,” shaking his head as he said this.

“I’m too cool for them,” Jonghyun only responded with a ‘tsk’ and both of us walked to school.

That day both of us decided to take the long route to school. Not that we’re trying to spend some quality time together but we just felt like it-but it was entirely not my idea in the first place. The walk was very quiet. Jonghyun never talked a lot, I’m grateful for that as I don’t really like answering questions let alone listen to any.

“Ouch! Watch where you’re going!” I felt my jaws clamed against my mouth.

A girl had bumped into me. Mumbling an apology I barely even heard she ran off to the direction of our school.

“Hyung that girl”

“You know her?”

“No but it’s that your jacket?”

Jonghyun pointed at a familiar brown clothing sticking out of her sling bag.

“Yeah, that is… my jacket”

 

Seohyun’s POV

Tapping my fingers, I was anxious to know whether I got it in or not. I was in the principal’s office after undertaking an entrance exam. The teacher had gone with my test paper about an hour ago. She told me she would be back with the result soon but soon in her dictionary seems to be taking too long. Then the door clicked opened and the teacher’s head popped from behind the door.

“Miss Seo?”

“Yes?”

“I’m afraid you’re going to have to skip a grade,” she said as she seated herself on a chair in front of me and smiled.

“Does that mean I got in?”

“Yes definitely. We would surely love to have you with us.”

“Thank you very much! I- I don’t- I appreciate it so much,” I came running to her and joyfully shook her hand making her shake in her seat from the force. She could only nod her head in respond. I happily skipped out of the room not really looking where I was going.

“Ouch! Argh God must hate me!”

I jolted my eyes opened feeling a bulge under my foot. I saw the person was wearing the school’s uniform. I thought I could get a head start by getting a friend now. I was about to say that I was sorry but was cut by surprise at the person in front of me. He narrowed his eyes and a frown formed on his face.

“You again”