Chapter 14

UouO MEdiA's First Girl Group •´¯`•. ωαя∂εη .•´¯`• | Landing Butterflies, WARdEN

chapter fourteen

━ { Between Navillera and SHUBIRUBIRUB...

{A/N: All language typed "like so" is in Mandarin unless it's a single word or two. Otherwise, assume Korean. "If you see it written like so," the non-italicized word is Korean in-between Mandarin. This format will be more common as Yufei's character is more integrated into the fic. There are times where this will not be true, but these are easy to pick out.}

Sumia tapped her fingertips on the desk in front of her, eyes scanning the papers in front of her cheerily. She was the type of girl that loved to study, and she was wasting no time. After her accident, the girl had been set back an entire year of high school and would not graduate until she was twenty years old. It was embarassing, to say the least, but her guardian-adoptive-mother Hana never made her feel the lesser for it, nor did the WARdEN members. It warmed her heart and she could always put the negative feelings aside for a moment when she recalled all of the support she had received. Even her fans were constantly sending her words of encouragement, reminding her that school wasn't everything. The dancer sighed in happiness, looking down at the neat and highlighted Korean notes in front of her.

Nothing could make her as happy as dancing and neat notes.

She looked up at Yufei who was studying across from her. While she was studying Korean as well, she was studying vocabulary that was going to help her learn the language as a whole. Sumia bit her lip a moment- From the crease in the eldest's brow, it wasn't going so well. With a sorry smile and a nod to herself, she set her own work aside and slid to the other side of the table, placing her hand near the worksheet. Yufei jumped, words caught in as she looked at the maknae in alarm.

"Korean isn't the easiest," Sumia spoke in her second language easily, and some tension eased from Yufei's profile, "Let me help you. This word isn't so hard for you to recognize, right? It's xīngqītiān."

"I know that," The Chinese girl huffed a frustrated breath, "But pronouncing it isn't..."

"Exactly. Say it with me, okay? Ee-roh-yi-eel."

"E...Ee-roh-yi-eel?" Her face was drawn, confused, but Sumia nodded enthusiastically.

"Now just say it faster. Instead of ee-roh-yi-eel, let's say iryoil. Okay?" She purposefully finished her sentence in Korean, hoping to get her fellow dancer in the correct mindset. When she was first learning Korean, Sumia had to be spoken to in a mix of Japanese, her first tongue, and Korean, otherwise she couldn't learn a single thing.

"Iry...No, I mean...Iryoil?"

"Yes, that's right! Sunday~ Are there any other words you're really struggling with?" Yufei watched as the nineteen-year-old leaned over her paper, scanning it without hesitation. It made her nervous, for the other to be so physically close to her. She had yet to really become close with anyone, and Sumia was always practicing for her new subunit. It was just over a week away, Flower's debut, and while the dancer found herself drawn to her fellow foreigner's sweet and kind brand of charisma, it made her nervous. Very nervous.

Take away the sweetness, add more scandals and years, and Yufei could see Sumia as her exactly.

That did not sit well with her.

"No, thank you," She replied in Korean before switching back to Mandarin, unsure how to phrase her next words correctly, "I'll let you get back to your own studying. If anyone else needs me, I'll be in the room, okay? Thanks again."

Sumia let her go with a frown.

---

"Aaaaand...Surprise! Happy birthday~" Soo Jung cheered, clapping excitedly in front of Yufei. She grinned at the girl's caught-off-guard expression, stepping off to the side to show off their birthday surprise, "Manager Unnie told us that is was your birthday. Why didn't you tell us, silly? Happy twenty-fifth, Unnie!"

"I, um..."

"We don't know each other so well, so we only got you a few group gifts," Seulki spoke first in Korean, and then translated herself effortlessly into Mandarin. She gestured towards the chair, "I hope you don't mind marble cake?"

"I didn't..." Yufei paused for a brief moment, searching desperately for the word, "I didn't expect this. I was unsure you celebrated birthdays in WARdEN, so I didn't..."

Miyoung raised her hand slightly from the back of the room. She was away from the others, just barely lit up by the birthday candle lights. The singer looked gaunt, almost haunting, but a tired smile played at her lips, "We always will celebrate birthdays here. I'm sure if you check Insta, the fans will be going crazy with birthday wishes."

Yufei's heart stopped.

"Why would the fans know my birthday?" The words tumbled out in sheer panic, and she could feel herself breaking out into a cold sweat. Yoonmi's expression changed in just the slightest, her eyes suspicious but her body language passive as could be. She cleared to call attention to herself in the now-quiet room. The Chinese woman could have hit herself- The way she had said it sounded too terrified, too abnormal.

"Those are in the profiles," The rapper spoke carefully, "It won't be a problem. They probably sent some gifts in the mail as well, but those are vetted carefully. Nothing will happen, so don't worry about anything."

Sumia translated her words.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to sound...Strange. I just, didn't expect it, I suppose," She gave her most charming laugh, and relaxed when they seemed to buy it.

"Well, don't worry about it, like Yoonie said!" Soo Jung placed a hand on her shoulder, "Blow out the candles and make a wish!"

---

Soo Jung sat at the table of the secluded restaurant quietly, inspecting her nails. Jinki sunbae had texted her in the middle of Yufei's birthday celebration, asking to meet him there. It was a surprisingly classy place when she looked into it, and as such she had dressed (x) to suit the occasion. A sleek two-piece outfit, with a cream silk shirt tucked into a high-waisted faux leather skirt. She had paired it with fuzz black heeled boots and simple but beautiful makeup. Soo Jung was a fashionista and her outfits were not to be underestimated. Still, the fact that he has asked her to such a place had her heart racing a little...

But no. Sunbae would have no interest in her, the same way she was interested in him. Since the time they had met with the alcohol incident, they had grown to be such good friends. Even still, her heart decided to play games with her and have her start falling for such a guy...He was a legendary singer, and her dreamy self couldn't help but fantasize romantic scenes. She smiiled, playing with her hair a bit. Soo Jung peered outside of the closed-off area she had been seated at.

No sunbae yet.

Instead, her thoughts turned to the newest member of the band, Yufei. The celebration had been uncomfortable at best, but everyone had tried to make her feel welcome. The five of them had gotten together a week before and brainstormed what gifts to buy her. No one knew her intimately, and Manager Daeun had scolded them when they asked for ideas. Soojin didn't know her much better than the members, and they had been scrambling for ideas. Finally, the group had decided on a small number of fairly generic things to buy. A pastel blue pair of pajamas, a book that was recommended to teach Mandarin-speakers Korean, an expensive pair of headphones (Thanks to Seulki's money), and oragami paper. Soo Jung had noticed the eldest member making oragami figures once a few weeks back, and that was the most personal thing anyone could think of to buy.

Yufei seemed to be offput by the whole affair. Perhaps it had been the wrong choice to make it a surprise? But it was much too late to second-guess. Hopefully her wit had won the Chinese girl over.

"Soo Jung-ah?" Jinki's warm voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Oh! Sunbae, hello!" She snapped to attention and stood immediately, bowing. Her eyes scanned him almost unknwowingly- He wore a dark blue dress shirt with black slacks, shoes, and a tie that all matched together. Soo Jung felt her cheeks flare pink when her eyes returned to his face and he was smiling knowingly at her, "I, uh, sorry Jinki Sunbae. I was lost in thought- You know me, always day dreaming. Though nothing is as dreamy as you."

Ohmy I did not just say that no Soo Jung that was not witty that was flirting stop being witty-flirty please God strike me down-

"I'll take that as the highest compliment I can get, then," He smirked, "I know you love to dream. Go ahead, sit back down. Dinner is on me, so don't worry and order whatever your heart desires."

The vocalist nodded, noticing with a bit of narcissistic pleasure that his eyes lingered over her as well. She knew how good she looked, always spending much time in front of the mirror. Soo Jung flipped through the menu, the silence somehow comfortable despite everything. Despite what her sunbae had said, however, she couldn't just spend his money without a second thought. It would be rude, and she was not rude. Still, to decide what to order...Soo Jung was never good with making decisions.

If she ordered fish, her breath could smell fishy and that would be terrible. Disgusting. But it could be tasty. If the brunnette instead ordered steak, it would be considerably more expensive but delicious and probably amazing. Still, price...Pasta was too messy, right? Oh God, and my drink...She needed to decide what to drink before she should even consider what to eat. If she choose the wrong thing, would her sunbae judge her?

"Soo Jung-ah, you're thinking too hard again. Listen, do you want me to decide something for you? It wouldn't be trouble at all," He assured her before she could object. At her shy lip bite and nod, his grin became even more wide and genuine. Her heart pounded, and felt dry. Jinki motioned for the waitress, who came over immediately, "May we please have a bottle of Clos La Chance Monterey County Chardonnay? I'd also like to order an herb rubbed sirloin tip for myself, and garlic prime rib for her? Thank you very much."

The waitress walked away, and Soo Jung could feel her heart drop into her stomach. She sighed through her nose, but only smiled at Jinki's questioning look. No, this was probably exactly what she thought it was, and it made her feel...Sad. Every second that passed cemented her thought that Jinki was going to ask her out, and she was unhappy with that. Did she want to? Yes. Jinki, he was so her ideal type in so many ways. Innocent, in a sense, warm and humorous and mannerly. He was talented and he treated her well. But Soo Jung, she was just starting in the idol world. Her career was just really beginning- Forget being an ulzzang back in Japan. That was nothing compared to this. Jinki was a top idol, legendary and from the KPOP company. A relationship between them? Hello scandals she and WARdEN could not afford.

The silence was much less comfortable the more she thought, and she could not look him in the eyes. The wine was delivered and poured in the same quiet atmosphere, and the vocalist felt guilty with how quickly she downed it. Liquid courage, even if it was just a bit of wine. It was something rather than nothing.

Her eyes slid shut. The pineapple and apple tasted strongly. It was unique, unlike any other wine she had tried before. Even a hint of lime juice and coconut. The almost-tropical flavors gave her a foreign feeling, and she floated away inside her mind. She could see a scene play so clearly- It was her on stage, with her bandmates. They were dressed in gorgeous white dressed, fancy and beautiful and oh so teary-eyed as they accepted the award. A Daesang, perhaps? The six of them were side-by-side, smiling at each other, the crowds roaring at their newfound success. Some song that had yet to be written played in the back of her mind, and it was their's- Hers. The fantasy was beautiful...

But there was a reality she had to return to, and did when she felt Jinki's calloused hand on hers. His strong brown eyes were soft with affection.

"Off in dreamland, again?"

"Sunbae, why are we were?" Soo Jung demanded. He started, pulling his hand back. She didn't let up, keeping her determined gaze on him. Jinki seemed to curl into himself for a moment, unsure of himself. She almost felt guilty about it, but he recovered quickly- Or so Soo Jung thought, until she saw the self-depreciating smile directed at his crossed legs.

He sighed, "I'm making you uncomfortable."

"No," She countered, "I'm just impatient."

"Then I'll get to the point, if that will help?" He took a sip of his wine before looking at her earnestly, "Soo Jung-ah, I really like you. A lot. You have such a great personality, and you dream so vividly it sometimes feels like I'm right there dreaming with you. And, that's just it- I want to be. I want to dream by your side, and be a part of your dreams. You're independant but clumsy, and you make your cheer so quiet sometimes. It's so unique. I really hope you'll accept my confession, Soo Jung-ah. I want to date you."

Okay, maybe I wasn't nearly as prepared for that as I thought, The brunnette placed hands on her warming cheeks, Because that was even better than anything I dreamed off. But, still, I just...I need to nip this in the bud. Well. I should have done that with myself a long time ago.

"Jinki Sunbae, I can't accept your feelings," Soo Jung forced herself to speak through her own cracking heart, "A relationship isn't realistic for me right now. Seulki and Jonghyun-ssi? They can work out just fine. She was built for hardship, and they've known each other for so long. But us two? We only met so long ago, and my career has hardly begun. I'm gaining traction solo-wise too, not even just group work."

"I understand where you're coming from, but please reconsider," The hustle and bustle nearly drowned out his low, quiet voice, "I want to help you shoulder the burden that this life we've chosen holds."

She shook her head with a pained smile, "I can't."

"But I believe you can," The man insisted, but not rudely so. Soo Jung felt the tears pricking her eyes at the manners he still showed, "It may not be easy, but what is these days? And, I didn't take you out to dinner to guilt you into this. Even if I did, it clearly isn't working."

A laugh bubbled almost desperately out of . The corners of his eyes crinkled.

"Soo Jung-ah, I truly care about you. I want to take things slowly, keep it out of the public. Even after all the times we've met up, no one has ever reported us together, right? So now add the label of dating. Exclusive. What really changes? Just our feelings inside. That's what matters, and if I am right, your feelings are like mine," The two allowed the conversation to fade away, each nervous but unwilling to break the fragile feelings of the moment.

I can't believe I'm doing this.

Her hand moved through the air, faltering just before reaching him. When she met his eyes, Soo Jung grasped his hand. She took a shuttering breath.

"When you say it like that, how could I possibly say no?"

---

The plain bowl of rice and chicken sat daringly in front of her. No one else was home- Miyoung had wormed her way out of group practice by stating she felt ill. It wasn't untrue, and apparently her appearance supported this. Soojin had ushered the other members out quickly, pressing a kiss to the top of her head before asking her to eat and get some rest. The noise that was typically present had ceased immediately upon the door closing shut, and she had simply sat in the chair for a long few moments. She savored it. Perhaps feeling ill wasn't quite right, but she did have a pounding headache and Miyoung wanted some sort of release of the tension. The lack of sound helped.

Still. The food taunted her.

The sight made her nauseous, and the triple threat played with her hair nervously. Maybe upset? She couldn't tell anymore, but a drip of sweat ran down her back and made her shiver. Miyoung's freshly cut hair brushed her cheeks and she ran her hand through it yet again. Her hand shakily reached for the chopsticks Seulki had dropped by her before leaving. She shook her head and picked up a generous bite. The trembling of her limb knocked most of the food off almost instantly. Miyoung gasped, putting down the remainder of the bite before resting the utensils on the rim of the bowl. Her leg bounced. She pulled out phone out, typing a quick text to Jaebum.

To: Mr. Im Jaebum (JB sunbae!!)
From: Miyoungie WARdEN
Jaebum-ah, how are you today?? Is your schedule busy??

To: Miyoungie WARdEN
From: Mr. Im Jaebum (JB sunbae!!)
Never too busy for you! Why, do u wanna meet up?

To: Mr. Im Jaebum (JB sunbae!!)
From: Miyoungie WARdEN
No, I just wanted to ask. >:( Don't tease me!

Miyoung took a calming breath. She could do this. It was just a little plain food, and Jaebum was there to talk her through it, even if he didn't know it. Everything was okay. If she could just eat this, she could text Jaebum for a while and go to bed. Miyoung wouldn't have to face anyone for the rest of the day, she could get more sleep than ever and maybe finally shrug off the heavy feeling she'd had for weeks- No, months. It consumed her, wrapped her up in in a heavy fur coat that didn't keep her warm as much as freezing, but it was just as weighted. Her exhausted eyes flicked up to the mirror, taking in her haggard appearance. Imperfect. Again.

Unworthy. Again.

"It's just rice and chicken, dummy," She reminded herself aloud, trying to build the courage, "You can eat this, Kwon Miyoung. You must be better. Piano...Piano, you didn't need as much energy to do. Piano doesn't even matter anymore. Why do you keep thinking about the damn piano?"

She angrily wiped at the tears that burned her cheeks, heaving breaths making her chest ache. Piano this, piano that, she was like her parents. Her parents, that forced that kind of life on her. That suffocated her in expectations and forced her talent to become a curse of sorts. Grow up. Move on, she scolded herself.

To: Miyoungie WARdEN
From: Mr. Im Jaebum (JB sunbae!!)
Me? Tease u? Never!! Keke~ Ooh, ooh, Miyoungie, I heard rumors of a new subunit and I see you got your hair cut.

To: Mr. Im Jaebum (JB sunbae!!)
From: Miyoungie WARdEN
I cannot share company secrets~ ;) Do you like my hair tho?

To: Miyoungie WARdEN
From: Mr. Im Jaebum (JB sunbae!!)
I love it.

Another steadying breath. Another attempt at grabbing a bite with her shaky hands. This time, she successfully brought the chopsticks to , and chewed on the bland food. watered unpleasant and sharp, making her sick to her stomach, but she swallowed it with little hesitation. Her eyes read the text again. I love it. Jaebum loved her hair. That, that was enough for that moment. She quickly downed another few bites, shooting playful texts back and forth with the man who had become one of her closest friends. From their initial awkward shirtless-backstage meeting to their unexpected photoshoot, the relationship hadn't exactly progressed smoothly, however...It was good for her. He made her smile more often than not. Having a friend like that? It was good.

Piano? Screw that. Miyoung loved to sing and dance. Perhaps she didn't like to rap so much, but no matter. She was damn good at her job and she was proving that to her parents with WARdEN's success from Red Light on. That era had defined their future success, and six wins with Navillera? They were working their way to the top, and that was something Miyoung could be proud of. Now she was the leader of their new subunit, and she was going to do well. Everyone had faith in her. That's what they told her, and Miyoung was going to take their word for it. She stubbornly shoved another large bite of food into . Flower was going to be another success, and she was going to make sure of it.

 

(author's note) Wow, a ~3600 word chapter. Can you tell I'm getting into it?? I felt like this was all important stuff to talk about but didn't fit into the previous or next chapter, so it all went together in it's own. Hopefully Yufei's character is a little more fleshed-out and less side-character like! I felt like she was just pushed to the side as a secondary so I tried to bring her into focus.

 

Otherwise, we saw Sumia talking a bit about her past, Soo Jung getting together with Jinki (!!), and we really saw Miyoung's internal struggle, along with her struggle about her parents. Hope you enjoyed, tell me what you think!