Chapter Twelve

LOVE

“Always there for you and he continues to be there for you, my dear.” Queen Kim Ji Yeon, his mother, used to tell him and he believed her. He was now in the empire of the Ziroians. He enjoyed the kindness of the people. They were not at all rude to him but he was told because he was a royal person—a very important person is what Advisor Kim Soo Woong had told him.

He was also greeted in a nice tone by the Royal Ziroians: King Jung Woo Young and Queen Jung Ji Song. Like always, at the king’s left side of his throne was his eldest son, Prince Jung Yunho, standing tall and straight like a noble person.

Kibum was not alone as he had arrived in Ziroi. His family was coming along with him as well: his parents, King Kim Bae Wook and Queen Kim Ji Song, and his two older brothers, Prince Kim Kangin and Prince Kim Yesung. He was aware that his older hyung, Kangin, would be likely talking to Prince Yunho. He hoped he could spend time with Siwon, if the prince wasn’t busy and if he too wanted to play with him. He knew Changmin would likely want to as well.

To his surprise, he saw his favorite prince entering the throne room with his younger brother at his right side and a tall handsome young man at his left. Kibum was young, but he knew who the man was. It wasn’t just Siwon’s words and explanations but he knew since there was someone there for his brothers’ and him. A man was to be with them at all times—he was their personal bodyguard.

Kibum liked his personal bodyguard, Ji Jin Hee. The man was very kind and even if he couldn’t answer some of the boy’s questions, he would be able to give him some answer besides nothing. Sometimes, the servants and maids would avoid him and just stay and remain quiet. Siwon’s bodyguard, Jo In Sung, was a very nice and kind man as well. He did not avoid Siwon or Kibum, but he too answered them in his own certain way.

After the whole greetings and embraces, the kings and queens had left the room to tend somewhere else with their own political matters. As always, the two heirs were expected to be alone and speak of what they wished to. Kibum did not know where Kangin and Yunho headed to when they wanted to have alone time—he did not understand their actions. His Yesung hyung would just tell him countless times that they would read history books, write on parchment, talk about whatever, or play a game containing marbles. Kibum believed there was something more, but he did not protest and did not ask any further.

Yesung and Changmin had ended up following behind Kibum and Siwon. The older boy was leading them to the Battleground of Claws and Fangs is what Siwon and Changmin called it. Neither Yesung nor Kibum understood this, but they had gone along with the Ziroian boys—they would know what they were doing.

The bodyguard of the Ziroian royals’ was following along, but not Mr. Jo Jin Hee—he was ordered to stay where Kangin and Yunho were—there would be a pair of eyes on the heirs and a pair on the other four. The two Amiopians were surprised to see they were lead into a building that looked exactly like the Colosseum in Rome, almost identical the difference was the building was a complete circle; it did not look like a big chunk was chipped off. In the entrance of the building were two metal sticks stuck to the ground holding lit two torches. It was still the daytime, but the Ziroians still had the torches lit. Inside sounds of cheering and shouting of enjoyment and excitement. What surprised Kibum and Yesung were the sounds of roars that belonged to lions?

Once they entered they came to a small fence that would not be able to keep any animal like a lion from escaping. There were about twenty rows that went around and the center of the building was gated, of course, but it too was as light and weak as the fence. Siwon and Mr. Jo led the three boys from behind to the first row and even though it was crowded, everyone scooted away since they were aware of the royals.

“What is this?” Yesung asked in amazement.

Siwon smiled brightly and replied. “This is our own little colosseum I guess you can say. This is where Fire-Lions fight to see who is the strongest.”

“Like the gladiators?” Kibum asked with excitement and happiness in his eyes as he looked at his best friend.

Siwon nodded his head. “Sort of, there are no men fighting each other or against any animals whom are stronger than they. We make sure none of the Fire-Lions injure each other. If they do we make sure to patch them right up.”

“Not at all compared to what happened in Rome’s colosseum. It seems to be way safer here than it was there.” Yesung chimed in with a calming tone.

Kibum watched in excitement and amazement as he watched each Fire-Lions battle off each other. He noticed the differences between the lions and the battle between lions long ago. He had read that lions fought each other to see who would be the king of the pack. This was different. He saw the efforts each lion placed in their attacks, but they did not have hate or bloodthirst in their eyes or attacks.

One was trying to win though. But after the first round of Fire-Lions, no harm was done to the lions. One of them had been accidentally hurt and a group of Ziroians had come to check on the lion just to find out it would not be doing any battles for at least four days. No lions died neither people this was better than the fight to the death battles men fought in Rome thousands and thousands of years ago.

After five rounds of battles, Siwon had led him to where the Fire-Lions were kept. This kind of had Kibum a little bit of anxious, but at the same time he was really excited. But he could trust Siwon and he knew the prince would protect him no matter what.

They entered a room full of many stalls. Each door to each stall was a small gate something that a lion could easily get out of. To Kibum’s surprise none of the Fire-Lions were even tied. They could easily escape. Kibum was quite curious how no one was at all worried.

Kibum turned his head to Siwon, whom had looked at him with a smile. “I have a question, Wonnie.”

“What is it, Bummie?” Siwon asked.

Kibum’s eyes removed from his favorite prince and landed on the stalls of the Fire-Lions. He then looked back up to Siwon. “The stalls are quite small, but the animals are fierce…how is no one worried?”

Siwon chuckled lightly. “Lions back then were very ferocious. No lion would’ve kept their calm or be on our side, at least not the ones back then. When the regular times were no more and the Commonwealth was created many things changed drastically. Animals are not our biggest worry anymore. We have tamed lions and they were born to only know and do well. We protected them and they protect us—they will listen to us because they know we are their friends.”

Kibum was still a little too young to understand everything yet, but he knew things. He was confused about how things once used to be. He was quite aware that how things were then were extremely different than they are now. It kind of made him wonder if things were better then or now. He did not know, and he did not ask for anyone’s own opinion.

“Do you want to see a Fire-Lion?” Siwon asked, Kibum’s thoughts being interrupted and making a little worried.

“Huh?”
“A Fire-Lion, do you want to touch one?” Siwon asked, repeating his question in different words. He seemed to sense a little bit of Kibum’s fear. Kibum had nodded his head and tried remaining calm.

The two had stopped at a regular small fence and the lion looked quite different than the other lions. He noticed the lion did not have a mane like all the lions had. It took a while before he noticed it was not a lion. It was a lioness. This surprised him, but his surprise was drain out of him when Siwon opened the fence and entered the stall.

“Come on, Bummie.” Siwon called out, holding his hand out.

Kibum gulped and walked towards Siwon and stood beside him. The Ziroian prince approached the lioness and smiled as the lioness nuzzled into the prince’s neck. Kibum was surprised and he was no more utterly scared or nervous. He was confused.

He hadn’t noticed that Siwon had taken his hand and placed it where the lioness’s head was. The lioness bent her head down a bit. Kibum wasn’t scared or confused. He was surprised and happy. He smiled as he noticed the lioness was not at all going to attack.

“What’s her name?” Kibum asked out of the blue as he continued to the lioness’s head.

“Hana.” Siwon answered.

 

“Wow, she's really pretty.” Kibum said as he looked at how calm the lioness was.

 

“You think so?” Siwon asked, curiously.

 

 Kibum nodded his head. “Yup! Does she like me?”

 

This didn’t take time or thinking for him to answer. Siwon knew well enough that Hana indeed loved the company of children. Of course she would like Kibum. Who wouldn’t? “Yes...she likes you a lot, like I do.”

 

“Does she like me as much as I like her?” Kibum asked with a joyful smile.

 

“She's a Fire-Lion and my pet...whatever is mine likes you or is yours, my beloved.” Siwon answered. His father seemed to not mind him having his own Fire-Lion. A lot of people owned their own—Yunho and Changmin would have their own as well.

 

“Beloved...?” Kibum asked, he was confused.

 

“Yes, do you know that that means?” Siwon asked. He was aware of how young the boy was.

 

“I...I don't think I do...can you tell me...?” He only heard little things, but never had he heard of the word beloved.

 

“It means a person that is much loved, loved a lot.” Siwon said.

 

“Are you beloved ones...Queen Ki Ah? And...and Princess Jiwon!” Kibum remembered those names and he felt slightly sad. He felt sadder now, but he couldn’t talk anything back. He didn’t understand.

 

“Yes...” Siwon said softly.

 

“Is there anyone else considered as your beloveds?” Kibum asked, a little happier that his favorite prince had answered.

 

“You...” Siwon said softly while a sweet smile.

 

“...Huh?” Kibum was confused. But he did not say anything.

 

Afterwards the two left Hana and the stalls of all of the Fire-Lions and walked out of this part of the building. They returned back to where the others were. Kibum was sad to find out it was time to return to his parents. They went back and Kibum was happy that Siwon was holding his hand during the way. He had a good time indeed, today.