Chapter Ten

LOVE

“It’s all so strange.” Leeteuk began as his pointy fingernail from his left hand tapped on the glass of the teacup. He held onto the saucer that came with the cup that he held by his two hands. Just a few hours ago he had arrived at the Palace of Amiopi. He had been kindly greeted by the Amiopian guards and the general, and the advisor Mr. Kim Soo Woong had led him to wherever Prince Kangin was.

The fact that he was going to see him made Leeteuk happy indeed. Leeteuk had always some type of feelings for the particular prince. He didn’t know what it really was until he got a little older. He had asked his tutor, Mrs. Hwang Soo Rhee to clarify what these sorts of feelings truly were. Both two words with the letters L “like” and “love.”

The woman had said that he was too young to use the word “love” except when it came to family of course. When Leeteuk pressured it on saying that his heart beats fast around him or he always seems to be very happy whenever around him but Mrs. Hwang said that he would be able to know if it was actual love when he got even older.

Leeteuk was older than he was then. And he could be for sure none of these feelings never changed, he felt like they hadn’t. Besides asking his teachers and tutors he had read on and found information by himself and he ended up being successful with his research. After reading about young maidens falling madly in love with handsome princes or mysterious men he knew that the feelings he had towards Kangin were accurate.

He didn’t feel this way towards anyone else besides him. His heart still did beat and he tended to get nervous around him; what was he going to say or what was he going to do and was he going to say or do it right? He seemed to always be thinking when it came to Kangin and at times he didn’t know if that was a good or bad thing.

Once being led to the prince, Leeteuk found the heir to the Amiopian throne sitting down on a rock near a small stream. It looked like a beautiful sight because of the full grown pine trees, the clear stream and the sound of the water flowing. It was very relaxing enough for someone to drift into daydreams or even read.

Kangin had lifted his head up from where his eyes had been drawn to the sight of the going stream. He had looked at Leeteuk with a soft smile and approached the two and greeted them. Before he knew it the two were both sitting on a large rock speaking with two cups of tea. Right now the topic of their conversation had been about the elegance of each royal they knew of. Once they had gotten to Leeteuk’s parents the heir of the Delphian throne had started talking about his parents and Kangin seemed to be concerned. Leeteuk liked that he was pulled in—as if he had some interest in this topic as well.

“Have they ever acted the way they are acting now?” Kangin asked, finally saying something. The feminine prince looked directly at him in confusion. Kangin clarified his question to answer the confusion, “The whole neglecting.”

Leeteuk looked down at his hands and tilted his head a bit. “Not really, no.” He tried thinking of times when his parents just ignored him when he was younger. They really didn’t do that or at least he couldn’t remember. There was a difference between not being able to be there and just not wanting to be there—and his parents had time they could spare for sure.

Kangin tilted his own head a bit and thought for a second. He remembered his own thoughts about the queen and he didn’t know if it was his place to say anything. He also wasn’t sure if Leeteuk would even want to talk to him if he were to say something horrible about his mother. Such information he had eavesdropped on was entirely scandalous!

Kangin placed his teacup and its’ saucer right beside him and placed a hand on Leeteuk’s hands that were wrapped in his own teacup and saucer. The feminine male lifted his head with glassy eyes. This seemed to have drained his calmness and happiness. Kangin understood. If Leeteuk’s parents were truly avoiding Ryeowook it seemed extremely wrong. Kangin wouldn’t even think he’d still be living in the castle if his brothers were not being given love by their parents. He understood there was really nothing Leeteuk could do.

It wasn’t as if the prince could force his parents to love the newborn child. And it wasn’t as if he could place them under a spell. They didn’t truly care and love Ryeowook—it seemed, and Leeteuk didn’t want false love being placed on his brother. Leeteuk wanted his brother to be loved and cared for and obviously it was too much for the prince to do on his own, but Kangin could tell Leeteuk didn’t care. It seemed that the only thing that mattered to him was his brother.

“It’s probably…just my own exaggeration and thoughts.” Leeteuk muttered and shook his head. He didn’t want to think that his parents didn’t love Ryeowook. They loved him, at least they showed it but they weren’t showing it to his brother.

Leeteuk had thanked Kangin for the tea and talk and was on his way. He was hoping to just get a talk and some time with a friend. He didn’t know what Jaejoong was up to—he had overheard that Queen Jessica was going to visit there momentarily. As for Yunho, he wasn’t too sure about him either. Leeteuk just wanted to see Kangin. He felt as if he yearned for his presence. It just seemed right every time they were together.

What I am feeling has truly corrupted my heart and mind, Leeteuk thought as he came to the doors of the Delphian castle. He turned his head back a bit before sighing deeply and entering the castle.

 

 

ღ  

 

 

Cherishing was all he could do and what he would do as long as he had time with Kibum. Day by day, night by night, the boy grew and Siwon felt like he didn’t want to miss any of it. His hyung had told him that Prince Leeteuk had come to visit Kangin in Amiopi a week ago.  Yunho had told him that Leeteuk was only there to have a small discussion with Kangin and nothing much.

Yesung had stayed in the room with Siwon, Changmin, and Kibum. Kangin and Yunho, being heirs of their own realms, had decided to have their own small conversations of their own. Yesung seemed to be showing Changmin something while Siwon was reading a book to Kibum. Kibum was now a year old.

The boy was understanding only a little bit of things, but he understood a lot more of what Siwon was saying than Kangin or Yesung, or any other person. Everyone seemed to notice the connection and strong bond between the two princes, and no one judged or did in front of them or anyone. Queen Ji Yeon and Queen Ji Song seemed to have small conversations about the two, but nothing bad. They thought of such sights were cute and they were just children—this was nothing bad.

Siwon noticed how curious at times little Kibum was. He wouldn’t even be done with the small paragraph and he’d want to know what the next page was about. The Ziroian Prince seemed to think of it as—Kibum was a fast learner. He noticed at times Kibum would stop to look at the paragraph Siwon was reading—just to look at the paragraph; this was something Siwon noticed which was why he did not turn the page until Kibum was already trying to pull to the next page to know what happens next.

Sometimes, Siwon would peck Kibum’s cute rosy cheeks at times. The toddler would look up at him with a confused look which had scared Siwon at first, but just to get a smile next. Siwon seemed to understand a little bit—Kibum was startled by the sign of affection but ended up liking it. Siwon blushed while Kibum smiled and giggled—the younger boy did not understand the Ways of Love and Affection yet. And hopefully when he did, Siwon would be the one he’d share such feelings with.

 

 

 ღ  

 

 

It had taken the two time to realize that they have feelings towards someone. It seemed a little too obvious for whom Kangin liked, but it didn’t take the Amiopian heir to figure out who it was Yunho liked. Ever since they were aware of whom they liked they intended to have small conversations about these feelings of their own. As long as Prince Leeteuk and Prince Jaejoong were not there then they were able to have such conversations.

The two were sitting at the long rectangular mahogany table in the library.  The two were not reading books, even though they had a book or three beside them. There was a board with twelve holes and in their hands were colorful marbles of beautiful outstanding colors. The two weren’t necessarily playing a game due to the fact that they were going to basically be speaking.

But it wasn’t really a game they were going by. They seemed to make up their own game in their own way. The “marbles and board” thing was a game likely taken, but they seemed to just be doing whatever they wanted since they could talk about whatever they wished to discuss about and wouldn’t be judged or get in trouble. Whatever was between them stayed between them and no one else.

“How is everything going on between you and Leeteuk hyung? I heard about your talk with him a week ago.” Yunho said as he concentrated on counting the red marbles of his.

Kangin grimaced. “Who told you that?” He didn’t think about telling anyone.

Your dearly beloved advisor,” Yunho said a mocking voice before placing three red marbles in six holes. He then lifted his head up a bit to look at his friend who was annoyed by this. “I guess you wanted no one to know?”

Kangin shrugged and started focusing on the amount of grey marbles of his. He then replied, “It was nothing no one needed to really know of, but it wasn’t anything precisely bad.” He knew by the tone of his voice and choice of words that there a small clue that he wasn’t being entirely honest. Of course this was something bad!

Yunho chuckled and moved his hands away from the board and crossed his arms and smirked at his friend while looking at him. “If you do not wish to tell me, I will not force you. But please, do not lie. I despise liars.”

Kangin chuckled and rolled his eyes. He was quite aware of this fact. His friend also hated betrayal. He promised to never betray or lie to his friend so he decided to come clean. “I suppose it is—oh never mind! It seems extremely bad, nothing I wish to share though.”

Yunho nodded. “Do not tell me. But I do wish to know from one to ten how bad it is—ten being extremely bad.”

Kangin looked anxious. “Is there nothing higher than ten?”

Yunho’s eyes widened and he indeed looked shock. He was possibly just joking a while ago, but hearing this definitely made him worry. For a second he felt like he hadn’t pried on the conversation between the two princes. Besides, it wasn’t his business.

“Do you wish to avoid this topic?” Yunho asked as his eyes landed on the board and the marbles. He didn’t want to hear bad news unless Kangin was okay with telling him.

Kangin was in thought. He told his friend a lot of things, more than what he told his parents, especially his mother and brothers. He decided for now it was probably best to keep his mouth shut about this. If Leeteuk told him things got worse than he’d let a few things out to only Yunho. The Ziroian heir knew how to keep a good, huge secret.

Kangin shook his head. “I’d prefer not.”

Yunho nodded his head in understanding. He perfectly understood. It must be really bad, but some things were meant to be shared while others weren’t. “Perfectly understood…so what is it you wish to speak about, my dear friend?”

“Things do not change.” Kangin said simply.

Yunho took one red marble and placed it in one of Kangin’s holes and the other prince placed his marbles in where Yunho’s had been. Yunho nodded in agreement to Kangin’s words. “It is probably because you have fallen hard in love with Leeteuk hyung.”

Kangin snorted. “Love? What a weird word.”

Yunho tilted his head, “It seems to be weird to you? The word is perfectly fine, at least for the definition. You know, I thought things were extremely weird at first. Now, I like it. I feel happier around Jae.”

Jae?” Kangin chuckled and noticed how informal the prince was towards the Unimonian heir. “Nicknames I hear? You two must be extremely close!”

“I wish. I apologize for being quite informal, wasn’t proper of me.” Yunho muttered loudly. He knew he was apologizing to the wrong prince though. The two would not be in the library if the other was there.

Kangin nodded his head and moved his hands away from the board and marbles. His eyes landed on the other marbles there were together. Each marble resembled a realm; grey being Amiopi, red representing Ziroi, blue being Unimon, clear being Delphia, and green being Maynown. There were only heirs for Amiopi, Ziroi, Unimon, and Delphia though. There had been Queen Hyohyeon and then Prince Jewel but those two were not in this world anymore—in Heaven now watching them. There was Queen Jessica, but that woman was never in their topic unless if they were insulting her or saying how she’s one of the worst women in the entire world. There was also a black marble which to Kangin represented the past group of the Commonwealth: Aelyn.

But Kangin knew that his friend was aware of what his race had done to that other race. Kangin didn’t know how Yunho’s family felt about this since they weren’t born when the Aelynian Realm had crumbled. Kangin felt horrible as he read the Asian Commonwealth Codex—many drawings of the aftermath between the Ziroians and Aelynians. The violence between the two races had been extreme. He felt bad for the race that had faded and died, but that he did not share with anyone. Everyone was entitled to their own thoughts of course.

“May we find sanctuary?” Yunho muttered.

“Sanctuary? This isn’t some battlefield.” Kangin said in disbelief. He knew this whole feeling was quite hard to deal with, especially to keep quiet and safe from anyone else knowing.

Yunho chuckled, “After reading many stories you would wonder the tragedies.”

“They’re just stories, Yunho hyung. Nothing true, just written by random people who I don’t even think were even fully sane.” Kangin said. The stories he read were indeed full of sadness which made him worry. He didn’t want to believe in anything going bad.

Yunho smiled weakly and looked at the other marbles. He took one blue one in his hand and stared deeply into the pretty dark shade of the blue. The color reminded him of the Ocean. And the Ocean reminded him of only one person in particular.

“It is only reality for not things to go the way we wish for them to go.” Yunho whispered.

Kangin had heard his friend’s words. His eyes traveled towards the clear marbles but he did not pick one up. He looked down and his eyes traveled back and forth towards his own grey ones and the pretty clear ones. His eyes ended up staying at the grey ones.

“Perhaps it is not meant to be?” Kangin asked.

Yunho shrugged, still holding onto the blue marble and thinking about a beautiful smile from a beautiful prince. “Who knows? Whatever happens will happen, we could not avoid it.”

“And if we wish to avoid pain and hurt? We really can’t do that either, can we, Yunho hyung?” Kangin asked.

Yunho smiled sadly. “We will have to wait and see.”