Chapter Eleven

LOVE

A COUPLE YEARS LATER (RYEOWOOK, KIBUM, AND CHANGMIN ARE A BIT OLDER)

 

 

As expected the heirs of each race and realm were expected to see each other more often and they did. It wasn’t only political matters though. Yes, there were times when the parents had started speaking about some sort of issues and their heirs would discuss about it to each other as well. But when their parents were around they spent time together and when they were left alone, there were pairs.

The only heir that was able to attend was Prince Jewel and he was never discussed a lot because of his death. Queen Jessica rarely came to the meeting of the heirs and when she did she didn’t meet up with “children” even though they were a little older now.

“Fire Cats?” Jaejoong asked in confusion as he sat across from Prince Yunho. He was smiling even though he was bemused. He knew a few things about Ziroi, but to him it seemed better to be explained sometimes than to have to read and figure it out all on your own.

Yunho chuckled and corrected him. “Fire-Lions are what they’re called. You know how the Unimonian symbol is a fish, the Amiopian symbol is are boulders, and ours is a flame. But our animal is a lion, the Unimonian animal is a dolphin, the animal for the Delphians is an angel, and then lastly for the Amiopians their animal is a wolf. Notice how Delphians can ride huge eagle-birds? We Ziroians have Fire-Lions.”

“You guys can ride them as the Delphians can ride their birds?” Jaejoong asked curiously, more interested than before.

Yunho nodded his head before explaining himself. “Indeed. At times we even have wages on which Fire-Lion is the strongest.”

“Returning back to the history of gladiators?” Jaejoong asked thinking about the history books he’s read about ancient Greece and Rome.

 Yunho chuckled at his words. He knew well about the men who fought to see whom were the strongest amongst each other. There was a big difference when it had to do with the battle of the Fire-Lions and the gladiators. “No one dies animal or person. Whichever lion cannot stay standing loses. If there is a lion that is really injured we will not leave it on the battlefield to die. Besides, majority of the Fire-Lions get along with each other.”

“So the losing lion loses his pride and strength and the other lion…” Jaejoong asked but didn’t finish his question to hope that the prince in front of him would answer the question.

“The winning lions are usually the first ones we make sure to be mated with the right aged lionesses. With their strength they could possibly breed strong lions and lionesses.” Yunho explained matter-of-factly.

Jaejoong smiled softly and nodded his head. The thought of two lions being mated together and having children made him drift into his own thoughts. But those thoughts were immediately interrupted after he heard his name called by the prince from across him.

“Jaejoong?” The spoken of prince shook his head and gave a reassuring smile towards the other prince. He knew the other was probably worried about him now which was something he didn’t like.

Jaejoong thought about a question that had started floating in his head. No matter how many times he asked his tutor or his parents things had not gone the way he had planned or intended. There should be no problem in asking his friend.

“Yunho ah,” Jaejoong began by calling his name. He was still hesitant about this idea forming in his head to ask certain type of questions. Since Yunho was around his age, perhaps he would answer or know something?

“Yes Jae—Jaejoong?” Jaejoong giggled mentally as he heard the boy’s words. He was about to give him a shortened name—a nickname. He smiled by the thought of them being extremely close that they didn’t have to be so formal together.

Jaejoong looked down at his hands and then lifted his head up to look at the prince across from him. He didn’t smile but he was more confident now. “What do you think about those who lie to others?”

Yunho had frozen in place. His hands, arms, legs, and mouth weren’t moving but neither were his eyes. Jaejoong was staring at time, both those stares he ignored. He didn’t need to think to answer that question. He knew quite well what he thought about those whom lied. He didn’t like it but he thought of why Jaejoong was asking him about this.

He knew his friends would never lie to him. He would hope and pray they would never lie to him. To him loyalty was important—of friends, family, and especially allies. Even during this the whole issue with his mother no one lied to him. His father had told him the truth while the maids and servants wished to avoid the topic for his sake. But it didn’t matter if they were trying to save him from pain or despair—he was going to be told anyways.

Even if there were those lying to him or not telling him anything the truth would be out no matter what which was something no one seemed to ever understand when they lied or kept something hidden. He saw that there was no point in lying because it was going to come out sooner or later. Besides, the lies were always more painful than the hidden truth.

There’s no trust, Yunho thought in his head.

He had heard his name being called and he shouldn’t have drifted into his own thoughts and even when he came back to reality he was ignoring his name being called. He shouldn’t have—Jaejoong probably felt guilty or something and Yunho would never wish for him to feel that way.

 Yunho snapped out of his own trance and sunk back into reality. “Liars are traitors. They think they are protecting someone but they’re…they’re just hurting that person, especially if it concerns that person they’re hiding it from. Maybe it is very important and they are keeping it hidden? It may not seem big to them, but if it isn’t than why are they hiding it? They shouldn’t—” He stopped himself when he realized how far he was going. He felt anger in him. He could only feel pity and sympathy for those who were lied to.

He shook his head and took two deep sighs to calm himself down. Jaejoong was asking for a simple answer, not a lesson. “Sorry about that, I shouldn’t have gone so far.”

Jaejoong shook his head and placed his hands on Yunho’s and smiled sweetly at the prince. “It’s okay. I was simply asking for your opinion and that was what you were giving me. It’s better than I was originally given.”

This confused Yunho and caught his interest. “What you were originally given? This must’ve been on your mind for a while if you asked more than one person.”

Jaejoong snorted. “If you count my parents as two separates than I’ve asked four by now.” This surprised Yunho and Jaejoong decided to clarify who these people were before the other would ask, “My tutor and my parents are the only ones I’ve asked.”

“Why ask such a question, Jaejoong?” Yunho asked.

Jaejoong answered softly but loud enough for the other prince to hear clear and well enough. “I feel like I am being lied to.” He admitted and took a deep breath afterwards. At first he had thought it would be easy to admit, and now it seemed like some kind of weight was taken from him by a little.

He had never told anyone about this before. To be honest he didn’t even think he’d ever share it with anyone at all. He thought he would keep it hidden from anyone. The main feeling he felt and never told anyone had been released from it. It felt all too strange. Too strange, but at the same very good.  He didn’t feel like he was alone. He felt like there was someone there that would understand.

Jaejoong heard the difference in Yunho’s tone when he had talked about what liars were to him. It seemed to Jaejoong that either he was once lied to badly or he just knew so much and didn’t like liars.

I guess we have more things in common than I had thought, Jaejoong thought in his head as he kept his hands Yunho’s. It felt comforting, he didn’t feel alone.

“What? Jaejoong…I’m sorry, but…how?” Yunho was utterly confused. He didn’t expect anyone to lie to Jaejoong. He has always been an innocent nice young boy. He found that there was no reason to lie to him.

“I can see it; I don’t think…I know. The lie that is hidden I do not know what it is, but it is hidden from me. My parents are not comfortable to answer to my question—no one is. If I were to ask Kangin or Leeteuk they wouldn’t avoid my question. They would simply give me an answer because they have nothing to lie to me about. My parents could’ve been lied to but that wouldn’t have affected them into just not answering. They are hiding something.” Jaejoong said.

“I’m sorry about that.” Yunho said in sympathy. He could only imagine how weird it must be for Jaejoong to live in a home where he does not feel right or comfortable. “Do you wish to know the lie?”

Jaejoong kept his eyes down. “I-I don’t know any more or at least…I don’t know why or the secret. I would like to know what it is if it is really worth hiding to them, but I would also like to know why they did it.”

“What if…” Yunho began and found his question trailing off for a second. Perhaps there would be a time when Jaejoong would be given two choices instead of one. “What if they would answer your questions?” Jaejoong’s head lifted and his eyes met Yunho’s.

“What do you mean?”

“What if they were able to answer? If you were to confront them and they would answer.” Yunho clarified his question, hoping he didn’t lose Jaejoong in the process.

“Do you think they would? I mean just to hide it and after confronting them they would? I don’t know if it’s that easy, Yunho ah.” Jaejoong said.

Yunho wished it was that simple, but they both knew it wasn’t. He too didn’t believe they would release out two answers they were hoping to hide for however long they wished to hide it. Life was hard itself, and he knew Jaejoong would likely not get what he completely wanted. No one did, or at least not everyone. That was just a fantasy or dream everyone filled in their heads. Nothing real, of course.

Yunho shook his head and merely shrugged. “I don’t think it will be that straightforward either. Maybe they will only answer one question? What they hid from you or why? If so, what would you choose? Is your heart yearning for what were their deeds or why they did them?”

The words of the heir of Ziroian King Jung Woo Young made him feel different than he had before. He knew well that his parents were possibly not even going to answer anything. There was a possibility that they were going to avoid him more and just tell him that he was crazy. There was no guaranteed way that this would all turn out. If anything Jaejoong would just have to say something and see what his parents’ reactions were? He wondered if they would even treat him the regular way they had.

Would they abandon him?

Would their love and care for him continue?

Would they even want him as their son and heir anymore?

He didn’t know what would happen if they wouldn’t want him anymore. He couldn’t imagine a life without his parents. Was this even supposed to be how it was? Was this God’s wishes? Was this right or wrong? Just so he could have a care and home? Was this his payment or debt? In order to pay them back, would he be lied to?

But he wondered what was it that he wanted? He knew the reasons to why they would lie to him; to protect him, not be in trouble, or any other reasons. If they wanted to protect him it had to be something big and it would still be big if they didn’t want to get in trouble? What could he do if that was their reason? By not getting in trouble, it couldn’t just have to do with him. There were others that they wouldn’t want anyone knowing as well.

He would be lying if he told anyone and himself that he didn’t wish to know what they were hiding. How big could it be? How important could it be if it was worth keeping hidden? Was it worth it though? If he knew this secret how much could it change things? Perhaps it would only change him? The secret could be too big, and hurtful it would make him isolate himself from the rest of the world. What if the secret would turn him into what he fears to be? Maybe the pain and hurt that was placed upon him from knowing the secret turned him into a harmful person? If so, he would be alone. He had been alone with knowing there were lies and he would alone not even know how bad he had become.

Not knowing the secret though would do something to him as well. If he did not know he could hate his parents or others. And if he chose not to know what the secret or lie is, if he were to choose the reason why what could it be?

This decision made him worry. It made him confused and scared. The possibility of being consumed and turned into something else created shivers to run up and down his back. He felt cold indeed, no warmth even if he was sitting across from the person he wished to see every day. Perhaps he was already consumed?

 

 

 

 ღ  

 

 

Leeteuk did not speak of the problem with his parents with anyone anymore. He had kept it locked up inside his own head and heart. He didn’t know whether this was a good or bad thing to do. He wondered what on Earth would happen if others seemed to notice. What would they say or what would they do? How would they react?

He had no clue what would happen and he didn’t know if he wanted to know or think about it. For now, Leeteuk and Kangin did not speak of Queen Kim Ji Ling and how she was starting to act around Leeteuk and Ryeowook.

Ryeowook was a little older now which was something to be merry about. Leeteuk was definitely happy about his brother growing each and every day. But even though it was something to be joyful about it made Leeteuk think. Would Ryeowook remember the distance from his two parents and notice the only one there were nannies and his older brother?

Leeteuk knew Ryeowook deserved the world. He was an innocent child who didn’t deserve to be despised or ignored. He didn’t know what it was exactly that was going on. He hopes it will pass soon—that it was something only momentarily, nothing permanent.

He was watching as Ryeowook was playing with his little giraffe plush doll. Leeteuk smiled as he remembered when he was that small too. He was just a toddler, Ryeowook wasn’t a baby anymore. He didn’t need to sleep in a crib anymore—now he had his own bed.

Leeteuk would head there all night to sing a lullaby or read or tell a story to his little brother. He didn’t know what really went on when Leeteuk wasn’t in his room or in Ryeowook’s at nighttime. At times, he had homework. This homework meant he wasn’t to go to sleep—he was forced to study and know about many things about ruling the realm of Delphia. As in heir, he had to take this seriously of course but he felt like his heart was elsewhere.

“You have your attentions set on your brother.” King Kim Il Hoon said in an unpleasant tone. Leeteuk knew his father was rather disappointed than glad that he loves his dear brother.

Leeteuk sighed deeply. “I love my family and Ryeowook is a part of our family—why wouldn’t I be welcoming and set my attentions on him?”

“He is none of your concern.” King Il Hoon said as his eyes were removed from the manuscripts he was looking at to his son’s eyes. “You have lessons to be learned in order to be able to rule your kingdom.”

 

His kingdom.

Leeteuk despised thinking about that memory. It was the night before when he had the discussion with his father. He was aware of what was to become of him. He knew what he had to do to make his parents and others proud. But while he was working to make them proud, they did not impress him.

His parents were not bad rulers, but they were not precisely the best remodeling parents. But he could not do a thing. It wasn’t as if he could ignore them—they were sticking to him. They always reminded him about the realm he would rule and his duties and responsibilities of being a prince and soon the King of Delphia.

King Il Hoon and Queen Ji Ling were worse than what he was expecting. Sure he knew the avoidance his parents were creating towards Ryeowook. They weren’t even eating at the dinner table anymore like they had used to. When Ryeowook was a baby the only one who was with him during meals was Leeteuk. Now their parents were still ignoring eating at the dinner table and it was only sometimes when Leeteuk was able to eat with Ryeowook.

 

“He is my brother though and he is alone,” Leeteuk had begun in his brother’s defense. Ryeowook wouldn’t understand since he knew nothing of this conversation, “How can I just allow him to be alone?”

“You have responsibilities you must tend to for you do not have time to tend to anyone or anything else. Work is all you must focus on, Leeteuk. Your brother isn’t going anywhere. But your reputation will as a king.” King Il Hoon said.

Leeteuk shook his head. “You’re wrong. He can change if he has no one. The brother I know and have won’t be the same if this continues. He must know there is someone there for him.”

“He won’t be a lonesome soul. There are nannies and his tutors and teachers.” King Il Hoon said calmly.

“You are wrong again! The nannies, tutors, and teachers will not always be there, father. What am I or he to do when they are gone? A child should not be alone.” Leeteuk explained sternly.

King Il Hoon was now staring at him with anger and annoyance. “Like I said, you must worry about your kingdom.”

“I love my people, but I too love my brother. I would sacrifice myself for both—die for them. They deserve that.” Leeteuk said.

“Your brother or your people? Which is more important to you, my son? Do tell me.” King Il Hoon said, amused with the position he was placing his son in.

Leeteuk had glared deadly at his father. “I will not choose what is more important to me.”

 

After that he had stormed out of the library where his father and him were working and discussing manners. Leeteuk could not deal with that. It was too much. He knew he couldn’t choose which one of them was more important to him. It seemed too impossible. It would probably be an easier thing to choose from if it were his parents. But it seems as if they had chosen their paths before they were given the two options to choose from.

Leeteuk would be able to understand that he would need to work in order for his realm and people that made sense. That work was placed on each and every heir that would be coming of age to take the throne and crown in a couple of years. But he knew it was amusing for his father to force his son from spending quality time with his youngest son.

This confused Leeteuk dearly. He could’ve sworn his father was happy the day his mother had announced that she was pregnant. He remembered the smile on his face. Where had it gone? A couple of days after the birth of Prince Ryeowook, the king wanted to be away from his family. King Il Hoon ignored Ryeowook and at least talked to Leeteuk but this didn’t make things any better.

The sight of Ryeowook’s figure running towards him made him snap out of his thoughts. All he could worry and think about was his brother. He really wondered what God and the future held out for his brother. Whatever it was, he only hoped that Ryeowook would not be alone.