Chapter Thirteen

LOVE

“Things seem quite fine for now.” King Kim Shin Young said in a calmed down.

“Do not say things like that. In a few days we will have to leave again.” Queen Kim Min Jun said, full of worry.

 

He remembered hearing those words from his parents. None of this surprised him either. He was quite aware of his parents’ trip they took every year. They left early January to return early February, they indeed took a while. Likely to raise no suspicion they made sure to not miss his birthday.

Jaejoong always wondered why they left and where to. No one would tell him though, so he didn’t waste his time to ask. He had an idea that this was a part of the secret they hid, but he wouldn’t guarantee that. He didn’t want to guarantee it either. As much as he hoped the only thing connected to the lie or secret would be words only.

He had missed the presence of someone in particular. He missed his friends, but he also missed Prince Jung Yunho. Ever since the two had become friends there was no one else’s presence he needed or yearned for. After telling Yunho his thoughts of people lying to him, he could—he wanted to see only him.

Jaejoong liked how things had turned out. They were friends, they were comfortable with each other’s presence, and…Jaejoong felt free around him. Yunho had showed Jaejoong the other stuff that went along with his want of finding out what everyone was hiding. It was terrifying, but it was quite helpful. He felt like Yunho was his map, his guidance—his light in the World of Darkness.

He knew they couldn’t visit whenever they wished or wanted, but perhaps they could try something else? There were Net Pads and computers of course, but no heir had time for those. He was constantly studying things of how to rule his realm and take care of his dear beloved people he would rule over sooner or later.

Jaejoong had just been simply writing on pieces of paper. He was finishing off an essay his tutor had assigned for him. This had given Jaejoong an idea on what they could do for communication. He had started writing off to the prince first and then Yunho understood everything completely.

 

ღ ღ ღ

 

 

Dear Yunho,

I know we cannot see each other much. I miss you, my dear friend. It badly that there is no way for us to see each other more since we are crowded with the work of our responsibilities and duties for our realms. It feels unfair for us dear friends not being able to see each other. I hope you can enjoy this type of communication too. Even if you do not, I will continue on writing letters.

Sincerely,

Prince Kim Jaejoong.

 

 

Dear Jaejoong,

It seems that we have many connections and we share the same thoughts. I do too, my dear beloved friend, feel that it is not fair for us to communicate more. I wish that our parents could crash more “heir time” for us. If I could, I would choose for a whole year of “heir time.” It would be very pleasing to see your presence every day. I hope you feel the same too, and I do enjoy writing to you.

Sincerely,

Prince Jung Yunho

 

Jaejoong hadn’t really expected for Yunho to really reply.  He knew when he was writing the letter he had hoped for the other to reply. He had hoped this wasn’t a stupid idea of his. After asking the Royal Unimonian messenger to send the letter to Prince Yunho, he had been anxious and worried. Did he seem…stalker-ish? Was this something weird?

The next day the messenger had come back to Unimon with a letter from the other prince. Jaejoong had held the envelope in his hand and continued it. He was scared and worried to how the latter had replied. He had thanked the messenger and ran to his room where he could hide his feelings and reactions—good or bad.

He was blushing when he had read over the letter. He was surprised. He was happy. He was bashful. His eyes continued to scan the words written on the letters over and over. The fact that Yunho called him his dear beloved friend made him blush even more. Jaejoong understood beloved meant, but that didn’t mean Yunho was referring to anything. Perhaps he was being nice with his words?

No matter what the words had meant, romantic or not, the two princes did not stop writing to each other. They found this a good way to communicate and they did not want to stop.

For a long time these two communicated this way, even when they were just in front of each other.

 

 

 

ღ ღ ღ

 

 

 

He had no idea how long he could take it. He had no clue to how long he could hide these feelings of his. He didn’t know if he could or want to anymore. His mother had told him that it was his choice if he wanted to say something or not. But she had warned him that there was no guarantee that the result of his choice would be good or bad. Even though Kangin didn’t want things to turn out bad, he knew whatever happened it would affect his life completely.

If it went bad there was a possibility he could isolate himself from everything and everyone. But it’s not like he could isolate himself from people or things—he was an heir to a realm. The person he liked was an heir too—both realms were allies, so they would have to communicate with each other even if one of them wished to ignore the other.

But if went good then it would do the same. It would affect both of their lives. He couldn’t wish for a happy ending, he knew things weren’t that simple. Besides, many people who had lovers didn’t have it easy—it wasn’t fair if God made it fair for only him. It wouldn’t be right at all.

It takes courage for these types of things,” his mother had told him. He always found her as the right person to go to for advice. She did give him good advice and she was the only person he could talk to and she would understand in some sort of way. She also did not push things on him. She would stop speaking if she needed to or if Kangin told her to and she would perfectly understand. He wasn’t a man yet, and he could take things by steps.

If there was a saying he liked was, “Get it over with now, than later.” If he hadn’t liked that saying he wouldn’t be doing what he was planning to do. He would scream and complain about the huge sacrifice he was making if he did not want to live up to that saying. But it would be easier for him to know the experience of “having romantic feelings” towards another.

He jumped out of his skin when he heard the door to the conference room door open. This room was used for the royals to discuss political matters—the heirs discussed such things in the library while their parents discussed important matters here. This was very important to him indeed.

His two brothers had asked him what he was doing or what he was going to say to Leeteuk. He had told them there were important things they needed to discuss. And of course being curious and worrying, they asked what kind of matters. He just told them they were really important and he left them confused.

He felt a little guilty leaving them all alone. He’s been doing that awhile and it saddens him that he notices that now when his mind will be really busy. He knew only a little bit of what happens when he’s gone. Of course, his brothers are left alone playing with Siwon and Changmin, and Ryeowook too. Right now, it was only a small visit Leeteuk was making—no need for Ryeowook to come. Kangin wondered how the little boy was doing. Wondering was all he could do though.

When he saw the figure of the most angelic angel he smiled. Who wouldn’t or couldn’t smile? Who wouldn’t be affected by this beauty? To Kangin, he was the most precious pearl in the ocean. Excluding his family, Leeteuk was the next important thing to him.

The two shared and hug and greeted each other.

“Hello my friend.” Leeteuk greeted.

“It’s good to see you, it really is.” Kangin whispered only for Leeteuk to hear.

Leeteuk giggled and the two pulled away and took a seat in chairs across from each other. “How have you been?”

Kangin felt touched. He always wondered how his family and he were doing. It saddens him that he never asked about Leeteuk’s family. “Good, really well. Siwon and Kibum spend a lot of time together.”

“Do you wonder about them?” Leeteuk asked with a soft smile. Kangin could only imagine what he was referring to.

Kangin released a nervous chuckle. “I would hope not…but, who knows? Queen Ji Song and my umma talk so much about the two—it seems to be their main topic. I do wonder, but I suppose the two just created a strong bond. I hope it never breaks.”

Leeteuk nodded his head.

The topic of Siwon and Kibum made him think about a different, but similar topic. “What about Yesung and Ryeowook? Ever think about their relationship?” Kangin noticed the change in Leeteuk’s face. But the smile was still there, just Leeteuk’s eyes turned from sadness.

“I do wonder about them.” Leeteuk began and tilted his head a bit before continuing on with his own words. “But I can’t see anything bad and do not disapprove of their relationship. Just as much as you support Siwon’s and Kibum’s, I support Yesung’s and Ryeowook’s.”

Kangin nodded his head. “Good and how is your family?”

Leeteuk’s saddened eyes turned glassy, but he did not shed any tears. Kangin wished he could hold the prince as he cried on him—he’d allow it. “They’re fine, especially Ryeowook. A nice, gentle boy he has turned into.”

“With the brother he has, how else would he turn out?” Kangin asked and felt like he didn’t say the right thing. There was a small glint of change in Leeteuk’s eyes. He didn’t question anything. Leeteuk giggled lightly and nodded his head.

“What…what was it you wanted to speak about?” Leeteuk asked, changing the topic right away.

Kangin chuckled nervously and gulped hardly. He would likely mutter some nonsense and be breaking off many drops of sweat because of his anxiety. “Um…some feelings have been formed due to the time we have had together.”

Leeteuk’s eyes widened by such words, he understood some things, but not all. “Huh?”

“U-um…uh, why wasn’t I prepared for any of this?” Kangin muttered under his breath, too quiet for anyone to make anything out of his words.

“I’m sorry, what did you say Kangin?” Leeteuk asked, confused.

“I...I have feelings for you I must confess! I'd die without telling you! I've been embarrassed I mean I would've been if I had told you earlier, though I probably should've...but I have feelings for you!" Kangin spoke quickly. He heard himself panting; he didn’t expect it to be that bad to confess. Perhaps it wasn’t? Maybe it was just bad for him alone.

 

“Die?" Leeteuk asked.

 

“I had to tell you...I must. I can't...no one keep such things to those they have feelings for. It's...it’s too painful!" Kangin said, still speaking quickly.

 

“I have feelings for you too.” Leeteuk said, almost as quiet as a single whisper. But Kangin heard him well.

 

“You...you have feelings for me???" Kangin asked, confused. He was having a panic attack.

 

“Yes. I have a feeling about you that I've never felt with anyone else. I feel like you're the only one I'll ever feel like this for. My heart beats fast when I'm with you...I know what it all means. These feelings I have developed for you are deep and real." Leeteuk explained, he was not lying or joking.

 

“My feelings for you are real too." Kangin said. He didn’t know what to do next.

 

“I didn't say they weren't. May I tell you something?" Leeteuk asked.

 

“Uh, sure. As long as you're not telling me how this was all a lie or joke." Kangin said, feeling stupid all of a sudden. Why would someone lie or joke about this?

 

“I wouldn't do something like that. It's about me." Leeteuk said.

 

“Oh um...sure!" Kangin said, feeling less afraid now. He felt himself calming down.

 

“I'm not someone who's not deceiving." Leeteuk said.

 

“Not deceiving? What do you mean by that?" Kangin asked. He was quite confused. Leeteuk was an angel to him.

 

“Having me as a friend or more than a brother...I would say I'm not an easy person to be with." Leeteuk said. He didn’t think any of this would be easy, but it was good to know he wasn’t the only one feeling this way.

 

“What do you mean by that?" Kangin asked.

 

“I'll be nice to you and accept you, but I can't promise that I won't disappoint you." Leeteuk explained.

 

“Disappointment is what you see when you fail or do something wrong...what would you do wrong in a friendship or relationship?" Kangin asked.

 

“Not satisfy or make my friend or lover happy." Leeteuk said.

 

“And why's that?" Kangin asked, curious and confused.

 

“Not all friendships or relationships work out...not all turn out to what you want them to be. Please...remember that...and people make mistakes, I can't promise you that I won't..." Leeteuk said.

Kangin reached out for Leeteuk’s two hands and smiled gently. “No one is perfect, I know that Teukie. We both aren’t.” Leeteuk smiled and pressed a gentle, soft peck on the latter’s cheek. Kangin had no idea how this day could get any better than it already was.