Chapter Five

The First Step

Chapter Five

            At exactly six o’clock Jaebum rang the doorbell of his father’s home. He no longer had a key because he said it did not make him feel like an adult to be able to come inside whenever. His father had smiled at him so much that day Jaebum thought his face might rip. When Jane, his step mother opened the door Jaebum gave her a kiss on the cheek before handing the woman a bouquet of flower. His father had said not to bring anything but Jaebum knew Jane adored lilies so he stopped by a local shop before coming over.

            “Oh my Jaebum did you get taller? And that you for the flowers they are absolutely beautiful.” Jane said before moving to allow her step son inside.

            Jaebum followed her into the living room where is father was seated, looking over some paper work.

            “Oh son you’re early, or as I like to say being early is being on time. While being on time is?”

            “Being late, yes I remember father.” Jaebum said before taking a seat. Jaebum had turned his phone on silent before entering the house, but not before he got a text from Jinyoung saying, “You can do it! I also made cake so don’t die.”

            Jaebum truly had the perfect boyfriend, and if he was being honest with himself he really thought Jinyoung was the one for him. Each time he thought about proposing though he could just hear the voice of disappointment from his father. They both worked at the same corporation building in different sectors and his father really wanted Jaebum to get married soon and have kids. Passing on the legacy as he put it. Jaebum wasn’t even sure he wanted children, Jaebum had a cat because they didn’t require very much unlike a child who cried and needed things twenty four seven. Jinyoung had never really brought up having children but he had a feeling he would probably want one or two. Jinyoung loved children and being an elementary school teacher only proved that. Jaebum loved to see Jinyoung so happy when he talked about the silly or cute things his students did. Jaebum might not really want children, but he wouldn’t mind have some with Jinyoung.

            He knew he was being a tad unreasonable when he kept telling Jinyoung that no, he in fact did not want to meet his parents. Jaebum was just trying to protect the boy’s feelings, as well as his own . Jaebum was strong in many aspects of his life, but when dealing with his father he was as weak as it gets. It was always best to follow the man’s orders, it made life so much easier.

            “Where’s Mark?” Jaebum asked casually, he had wanted to know what this dinner was about as soon as possible. Jaebum did not like being blindsided and this felt like a situation he should go cautious into.  

            “That boy just sits up in his room all day long, he never does anything around here.” His dad huffed out.

            “Now that can’t be true, Mark told me that he helped you power wash the house?” Jaebum said trying to subtly help his younger brother but his father just grunted.

            “The boy’s useless,” His father said.

            Just before Jaebum could say anything he saw that Mark had come downstairs and was staring at the two of them. Had he heard everything? Mark seemed indifferent to the situation and just shrugged his shoulders before heading for the dining room

            Once Jane called everyone to the dining room the room was filled with the sounds of passing plates and dishes, no one speaking much.

            “So,” Mr.Tuan said, wiping his mouth of some stray grease before clearing his throat. “As we all know Mark’s birthday is coming up and he’s turning eighteen this year. I have an announcement to make about that. Mark,” There father said looking at the soon to be birthday boy. “Throughout these past few years your behavior has gotten worse and worse. I thought going over Jaebum’s house for the summer would help you but I was clearly wrong. I have caught you not in your bedroom many nights and I don’t even want to know what you are doing all hours of the night.”

            Jaebum looked over with his eye brow raised but Mark just kept a straight face. Mark had a tight grip on his steak knife, the end part of the blade dangerously close to the boy’s tightly clenched hand. Jaebum wanted to tell Mark to stop that but his father was speaking. Jaebum took the selfish, lesser of the evils and stayed quite along with his step mother.

            “Mark if I see you act up even a little bit, after you turn eighteen you are no longer allowed in this home. I’ve spoken to your mother about it countless times and we feel that you need to learn things out the hard way.”

            Jaebum looked shocked at his father. Yea Mark acted out sometimes but to kick the boy out? He had just started high school but by law their father wasn’t wrong. Jaebum looked at Mark to see the boy smile. His clenched hand slowly dripping red. Jaebum felt sick, he should have made the boy drop the knife.

            “Is that all sir?” Mark asked, is voice eerily calm.

            “Nope that’s all,” His father said before shoveling more steak into his mouth.

            “Mother may I be excused?” Mark asked, his body stiff.

            “Honey you’ve hardly touched your dinner, finished eating first.”

            How could they say that to Mark, how had they not noticed the boy was literally bleeding right in front of them. When had this house become so frozen in time?

            “Please mother…I have to use the bathroom, I’ll be right back?” Mark asked pushing back his chair back a bit.

            “Finish your food Mark,” His father barked, and that was the last straw.

            “I’m sorry is it a crime to take a piss in this house now? You gonna kick me out for being human dad?”

            “Mark!” His mother scolded but Mark just pushed his chair back, the wood clanking on the floor before rushing out the room.

            When their father stood up Jaebum said, “It’s fine I’ll calm him down, he’s just a little caught off guard is all.”

            When Jaebum went to go to Mark’s room he saw that the boy had his bedroom window open, he had left and to be honest Jaebum wasn’t even surprised because Mark was living in a mad house.