Chapter Twenty Two

The First Step

Chapter Twenty Two

            Mark had been so happy to find out that his boyfriend was doing amazing on the school fencing team. Fencing put a smile on his face and anything that made Jackson happy made Mark happy. Mark had been so proud of his boyfriend when he made it to the first championship and he had really wanted to go with his boyfriend but he knew Jaebum and Jinyoung were too busy to take him. Mark was lucky to find out that the school was having a trip to the competition but slots were limited and you needed parental permission.

            Mark had been one of the first people to turn in his slip, and he was also the first to be rejected.

            “I’m sorry Mark but it has to be signed by your parent, your brother doesn’t count because he isn’t listed down on the paper work. You’re just going to have to ask your mother or father.” The annoying office attendant had told him, the smell of her cigarette and coffee breath nearly chocking him.

            “B…but you know Jaebum, you worked here when he went to school why doesn’t it count? Can’t you like make an exception or something. I really have to go on this trip!” Mark said angrily.

            “Rules are rules you get no special treatment, now if you don’t have any other questions I’ll need you to move you’re holding up the line.” She said but there wasn’t even anyone behind Mark. Snatching the paper from the counter Mark hurried away, trying to hold back the sting of tears.

            He wanted to see Jackson, he wanted to support his boyfriend but to see his mother and father after everything that happened? Perhaps he could catch his mother before his father got there, surely she could sign it for him?

            Walking down the hall Mark got a text from Jackson that asked,

            Did you get the okay?

            Getting ready to type out that no, he in fact did not get it Mark stopped. Jackson was doing everything in his power to make Mark feel less crappy every day and Jackson was still dealing with his own demons. Jackson put Mark first and it was time he did the same. Sending back a text that read yes Mark closed his locker and exited the school to head for the bus stop, it was time he went home to face his demons.

~The first step~

            Mark was surprised when his key still opened the front door of his childhood home, he would have thought his father would have changed the locks by now. Stepping inside the house it didn’t even feel like his home anymore. Everything looked the same but it was still so foreign, Mark did not belong here. Mark walked around to look for his mother but she was nowhere to be found. Coming back from upstairs Mark heard a noise and followed it to the living room where he came face to face with the one person he did not want to see.

            “What they hell are you doing here boy? School isn’t over yet, sheesh you cut class too no wonder you’re so stupid.” The man huffed out.

            Trying his hardest to stay level headed Mark asked, “Where’s mother I wanted to ask her something important.”

            “Something important enough to skip school? What the hell is it?” His father asked but Mark ignored the question.

            “Do you know where mother went or when she’ll get back, I can come back later.” But his father just glared hard at the boy, making him feel much smaller than he was.

            “She went to the market to go pick up some things, your brother I coming over for dinner again today to discuss you actually. Mark you mooching off of Jaebum needs to stop right now, that boy is important and you being there is only going to bring him down.” His father told him as Mark looked shocked. Jaebum had said that he wanted Mark to be there, but if that was true why was he asking to talk about it.

            “Y…You’re lying Jaebum likes having me around.” Mark tried to say but his father just out right laughed at him.

            “Who would like having you around? You are nothing but a complete waste of space so why not do your brother a favor and move out so that he can actually live his life in peace. Jaebum needs to focus on work and marrying a nice girl and having his own family. He can’t do any of that with you dragging him behind. No one will fall in love with him if he has you around twenty four seven. You are nothing but a parasite to the boy.” His father said, his toxic tone churning fire in Mark’s veins. The cold from his words only made Mark’s body warm up with anger.

            Nothing he said was true was it? Jaebum had Jinyoung and he loved him. Jaebum smiled when Mark did something amusing, hell even Nora liked Mark. He wasn’t a waste of space…or was he? The voices in his head were doing nasty things to Mark’s mind. He felt scared and pent up…why had he come here in the first place again?

            “I…I need you to sign something for me…” Mark whispered out ever so softly. He needed to stay calm for Jackson…

            “Sign something? Is that why you’re looking for your mother, well spit it out boy!”

            “Y…Yes! I need someone to sign this slip for a school trip I would like to go on. I got Jaebum to do it but the school said it didn’t count. Just sign it so I can leave.” Mark said, his voice only wavering a bit.

            “What do you need to go one some school trip for, what you need to be doing is studying so you can be more like Jaebum,”

            “Y…You know what forget I don’t need you to sign it, I’ll figure someone else out.” Mark said, ready to leave before hit did something stupid like hit the man.

            “Typical, whenever something gets to tough you just chicken out, you’re such a little I bet Jaebum has to cut your food up for you!” His father yelled, which made hateful tears spill from Mark’s eyes.

            His father was right, he was weak….he was useless…he was a waste of space…. Mark stepped back only to be met with something solid. Was there always a door here? Looking up Mark saw His brother and he looked livid, or as livid as Jaebum could look when he was faking nice.

            “Oh son when did you get here? I was just telling Mark that it was time for him to come home.” His father said smiling at the boy. Jaebum leaned down and whispered, “Go get Jane to sign the slip and wait for me in the car, do not leave the car do you understand?” Jaebum asked, not waiting to get an answer before walking over to his father and punching him square in the jaw.

            “I’ve been waiting to do that for years,” Jaebum said staring down angrily at the man.

            “If you treat Mark like that ever again I will ruin your life. You are my father but I have no respect for those who belittle others just to make themselves feel any more like a man.”

            Jaebum’s father yelled a list of profanities but Jaebum simply walked away, pausing to only look at his step mother and say, “Jane…you disappointed me. You should have done more, Mark deserved better.” Before walking away to drive his shaken up brother home. It was time Jaebum acted more than an older brother, it was time he became Mark’s guardian.