Chapter Twenty One

The First Step

Chapter Twenty One

            Waking up this morning BamBam was actually really excited. It had been a whole week since Youngjae and himself had turned in their first English assignment which they had gotten an A on. The teacher had even told them they should enter the short story into a local competition. To celebrate, Youngjae had said that he was going to take BamBam to an amusement park because the boy hasn’t been to one in so long.

            It took a while for him to get the okay for him to go however, his Uncle and Aunt weren’t the problems however but it was Jackson instead. He was proud of his younger brother but he still thought going to a jam packed, and noisy place like that wasn’t good idea. BamBam still had nightmares and sometimes when he heard something really loud he would get scared, and cling to Jackson or whomever was close enough.

            Jackson trusted Youngjae but he didn’t want to risk something bad happening to BamBam, not again. BamBam was stubborn though and after crying to Mark about how much Jackson well, it was safe to say that BamBam got his permission which Jackson mumbling something about cruel little brothers and scary boyfriends.

            BamBam had stood in front of his mirror for ages trying to decide what to wear. He wanted to look like an adult, but if he dressed up to much Youngjae would think he was weird. It was hard being the friend of someone older than you. Youngjae was already eighteen while BamBam was still just sixteen. He didn’t want to seem like a baby in front of the older man. Spotting Jackson BamBam called his older brother over with a blush on his face.

            “Jackson….I don’t know what to wear.” BamBam said watching as his older brother narrowed his eyes at the younger boy. Mark was in his room waiting to watch a movie with him and Jackson really wanted to get to doing that.

            “Isn’t what you’re wearing fine?” Jackson asked, shoving some popcorn into his mouth from the bowl he was carrying.

            “What no these are my pajamas! Jackson I’m serious help me find something.” BamBam said feeling less embarrassed and more annoyed. Isn’t this what big brothers were supposed to do, help out?

            “Oh um I don’t know some jeans and a shirt sounds like a good idea, why are you trying to dress up it’s just an amusement park. Unless you’re trying to impress someone? BamBam don’t tell me I have to fight Youngjae now, I actually like him and Mark would beat me up if I hurt his friend. You know what maybe you shouldn’t go after all.” Jackson said nodding to himself before laughing when BamBam threw his shirt at him.

            “Never mind! You are seriously the worst.” BamBam said before turning beat red when Jackson said, “Do I need to give you the talk?” as he walked down the hall.

            Deciding to do as he normally did, BamBam picked out a normal school outfit, but ironed his shirt to make it look better. This would just have to do. He wasn’t trying to impress Youngjae he just wanted to look nice…it just so happened that Youngjae would be there when it happened.

            As BamBam finished messing with his hair he got a text from Youngjae that said he was on his way with a little smiley face at the end. For some reason BamBam couldn’t help but smile like an idiot at that. If anyone asked he wasn’t happy because it was Youngjae he was just excited to go to the amusement park.

            Once Youngjae arrived Jackson kept giving Jackson strangle looks at the boy before Mark hit his arm and whispered something into his ear that had Jackson smiling sheepishly. Youngjae said goodbye to his other friends and got inside the car with BamBam before heading off. As they drove towards the amusement park Youngjae asked, “Did I do something to make Jackson angry, he kept looking at me funny?”

            Looking out the window to hide his face BamBam said, “O…Oh no it’s just that he was watching a movie with Mark so when you came over I guess you interrupted them. Jackson’s pretty possessive.”

            “Yea well Mark was mine first so he can get over it, but let’s forget about that we are celebrating an awesome win! That idea you had about the ghost boys was amazing BamBam.”

            Blushing BamBam shook his head, “N…No it was your description that really helped the story come alive.”

            “Please words mean nothing without a plot and you my friend wrote an amazing plot. Who would have known someone so small would be so smart!” Youngjae teased, earning a small hit to the arm.

            “I’m not small!”

~The First Step~

            Once they got to the amusement park BamBam had dragged Youngjae all over the place trying out all sorts of rides. BamBam had never laughed so much in a while. He couldn’t remember the last time his face hurt from smiling so much. Everything was going beautifully until BamBam heard a loud snapping sound. BamBam quickly reached for Youngjae’s arm and looked up embarrassed at the older man but gave no motion to release the boy’s arm. When BamBam felt Youngjae brush him off he felt his stomach twist uncomfortably until he watched as Youngjae linked their fingers together, “Let’s go.” Youngjae said leading him towards some food carts. They ate and walked around, never releasing hands. That was until someone called Youngjae’s name. Turning around they came face to face with Yugyeom and some of his friends. 

            “Aw look you’re on a date with the brat!” Yugyeom said looking at the two of them, laughing with the rest of his group. Youngjae sighed as he dropped BamBam’s hand which did something funny to his stomach again but he ignored that because this seemed serious.

            “Do you have nothing better to do than pester me. You know a guy might think you still have feelings because you won’t leave me the alone.” Youngjae said, arguing with his ex. Boyfriend. BamBam tried to pay attention until he heard another loud sound, sort of like an explosion. Looking up at the sky, BamBam saw another firework go up into the air before bursting, making him yelp.

            “Wow your boyfriend is scared of fireworks, can he be any more of a baby? What is he scared of the dark too?” Yugyeom said but BamBam could hardly hear the words as his mind was focused on the crashing sound. H…He needed to get away. He was scared and he needed to go away. Rushing away from Youngjae’s side BamBam just ran, bumping into a few people but he couldn’t help it. Suddenly everything was so much louder in his ears and he could hear the sound of breaking glass, screams and he could taste blood in his mouth.

            Finding a small spot by what was probably a fake tree BamBam sat down and shoved his head between his knees like Jackson had told him to do when he got scared. He just needed to breathe. He wasn’t in any danger, he just needed his head to understand that. BamBam cried out when something touched his shoulders and was quick to wipe at his damp eyes to see Youngjae. He didn’t look mad or anything just concerned. Sliding down next to BamBam Youngjae said, “Sorry I probably should have thought of a better place to take you. I forgot they were doing fireworks today. I must be a terrible date huh?” Youngjae asked, smiling softly at the boy.

            “D…Date? I thought we were just celebrating together.” BamBam asked sniffling.

            “Well we were, are celebrating but it’s just me and you so that makes it a date. Why did you not want to go on a date with me?” Youngjae asked, pretending to be hurt.

            “No! I mean, that isn’t what I meant. I mean yea I wanted to go on a date with you, but wait this isn’t coming out right-” BamBam said before shutting up as a pair of lips carefully pressed his.

            “So which is it?” Youngjae asked simply to which BamBam said, “Y…Yea I want to date you.”

            “Well good because then that kiss would have been really awkward if you were gonna say no.” Youngjae said sliding closer to wrap his arm around the smaller boy.

            “Jackson’s probably gonna kill me now isn’t he?” Youngjae asked staring ahead at the few fireworks that were visible.

            Smiling BamBam said, “Totally.”