Chapter One

The First Step

Chapter One

            It had been two whole months since Mark had seen Jackson last, after the meet up with Jackson on the roof of the Wang family library Mark went back home with Youngjae. Things with his parents were still tough and Mark always felt like he was on edge. Sure he felt better now that he had Jackson but Jackson was a whole town over, and to be honest Mark was thinking or rejecting his best friend when he asked him to go back home with him. Mark had literally just gotten Jackson back but Youngjae was right. Mark had problems he needed to deal with and they started at home. Go directly to the source he had said.

            Mark’s last night in Brookfield had been one full of tears, mostly on BamBam’s end. He took a strong liking to Mark and the thought of not having him there was scary, but Jackson had told the boy that they would visit as much as possible. Still they had only seen each other a couple of times and Mark was just itching for Jackson. Mark knew he was just over reacting but the summer was over and he had school tomorrow, and Mark and school just did not get along. Well Mark and people just didn’t get along, it was too noisy there and people just loved to push his buttons. Looking up at the ceiling in his room from the floor Mark sighed, he missed Jackson so much. Tomorrow was going to .

The First Step

            “Mark come on aren’t you excited it’s a new year that means new faces!” Youngjae said, nearly bouncing as they made their way inside Cloverfield High. Marks day was not starting off to a good start. He woke up late which caused his dad to once again have him go off on Mark, telling him about how he thought it was going to be different this year and how he seriously didn’t know what was Mark’s problem, but Mark hadn’t woken up because he stayed up all night. His thoughts of anxiety allowing his inner demons to run wild. Mark tried to call Jackson but he got no answer and when he sent him a quick text the boy hadn’t responded. Maybe staying away from each other for so long really wasn’t going to work out. That thought alone causing Mark to further hate his day.

            Because Mark was now a senior, Youngjae and Mark had got to pick their lockers first. Youngjae always wanted to pick the same ones every year so he dragged Mark into the school and down the hall until they got to their typical locker spot, but something was different this time. The lockers were already open shielding the body of two students.

            “Mark someone took our lockers!” Youngjae said, glaring in the direction of the covered people.

            “That’s okay, weren’t you all about new faces just a second ago?” Mark asked running his fingers through his hair, hiking up his backpack a little. He felt itchy again, the nervous just tickling his skin.

            Just breathe Mark, He heard a voice in his head say. Yea easier said than done.

            “Let’s tell them that’s our spot!” Youngjae said, grabbing Marks hand.

            “What no, that’s rude and I really don’t care that much about a locker Youngjae.” He said looking at his best friend with disinterest.

            “It’s not just a locker it is tradition young man!” Youngjae said, puffing out his chest a bit before laughing at Mark’s expression.

            “I am older than you, how many times do I have to say it.” Mark said before following Youngjae over to the lockers anyway. It was always easier to just let Youngjae have his way, no point in arguing with such a stubborn boy. Mark did not have the energy today.

            “Hey this is our lockers! You guys are gonna have to move.” Youngjae said, placing his hands on his hips. When the first locker closed Mark was surprised to see a familiar face.

            “I don’t see your name on it,” BamBam said smiling big up at Mark. If BamBam was here then that meant?

            Turning around when he felt a pair of arms snake their way around his waist Mark felt the familiar smell that could calm him in an instant.

            “Jackson,” Mark sighed out. He thought he was happy when he saw Jackson again at the library but nothing compared to this reunion, especially after such a tough morning. Mark seriously doubted that Jackson had wanted him anymore but here he was in the flesh.

            “Hey locker buddy, I missed you.” Jackson said placing a kiss on the back of Mark’s neck before releasing the boy.

            Jackson was wearing a white and yellow jersey that had his name on it, along with a picture of a sabre. Mark could recall Jackson saying he did fencing but wow did it show. Over the course of the summer Jackson had clearly tried to put his muscle back on after losing a lot during his coma. He looked healthy and his smile was large, a big smile all for Mark.

            “Markie-Pooh are you surprised? Youngjae helped put this all together along with your brother. He helped convince my uncle to let me and BamBam transfer. We still live back in Brookfield but hey at least we go to school together. Bam and I did a lot of summer school just so we could place in grades properly. I’m a senior like you but BamBam’s a junior.” Jackson said before leaning up to place his lips on Mark’s cheek. Mark however moved a bit, not really comfortable with public displays of affection. Jackson tilted his head to the side but otherwise said nothing.

            “So do you like your surprise present?” BamBam asked, his smile hopeful.

            “Yea, you guys this is perfect. Seriously I’m so happy you’re here.” Mark said.

            “And that’s about as close to a declaration of love you’ll get out of our Mark. Now seriously, I understand why Jackson is messing with Mark’s locker but BamBam why exactly are you in mine?” Youngjae said glaring at the younger boy.

            “I wanted to be next to Mark and Jackson, so you’re just gonna have to deal with it.” BamBam said, sticking his tongue out. As the two continued to argue Mark felt Jacksons breath ghost his ear before hearing the boy say,

            “What’s wrong? I can ask my uncle to put me back at our old school if it bothers you?” Jackson said, lightly rubbing his forehead on Mark’s shoulder.

            “No, it’s fine seriously I’m happy you’re here. I just had a bad morning is all, I’ll be fine don’t worry about me.”

            Jackson tried to smile but Mark could tell he didn’t believe him and deep down inside, he didn’t believe himself either.