Chapter Six

The First Step

Chapter Six

            It is safe to say that dinner finished early. Jaebum had told his father that he had to leave sooner than expected to do some paper work for preparations for tomorrow, his father was more than happy to dismiss him for that, not even asking about Mark. Jane looked like she wanted to say something, but weak people have closed mouths Jaebum figured.

            Jaebum quickly got into his car and drove around town a bit, in search for his younger brother. It didn’t take long however because Jaebum knew a lot of Mark’s childhood hiding spots. Pulling his car up to the nearby park Jaebum found Mark sitting on a bench, his knees brought up to his chest and he was shaking subtly. Jaebum figured it wasn’t from the crisp night air.

            Jaebum walked over to his younger brother and took a seat next to him before poking the boy’s side, “Mark, you can’t say out here like this, I saw your hand bleed. It’ll get infected if it doesn’t get cleaned properly.” Jaebum said, nudging the boy once more.

            “Are you here to take me back home?” Mark asked not bothering to lift his head as he sniffled softly.

            “I don’t think that’s the best idea right now, you can come to my place as long as you don’t mind Jinyoung being there. He kind of moved in with me.” Jaebum said, smiling at the memory of when he asked his boyfriend to move in with him. Jinyoung had been running around the kitchen like a chicken with its head cut off. He was trying to make a special dish for their one year anniversary and apparently Jaebum didn’t have what he needed. Jaebum was busy working on a project for work so when Jinyoung kept complaining about not having Oregano Jaebum had just said, “Well why don’t you do all the shopping, you practically live here anyway.” Jaebum hadn’t realized what he said until Jinyoung started crying and saying yes yes yes, he’d love to move in. Now it was like the house was actually a home.

            “I don’t mind Jinyoung, he makes really tasty cake.” Mark said laughing a bit.

            “Alright, let’s get you home then, Jinyoung would love to see you.” Jaebum said and when he got home he certainly wasn’t wrong. Jinyoung had practically screamed when he saw Mark. Jinyoung adored Jaebum’s little brother even sneaking little pictures of him to post on his social media page. His favorite photo he took was a photo that he snuck of Jaebum and Mark sleeping happily on the couch together. Jinyoung had crouched down in front of the two to take a selfie with them, naming the caption First family photo. Thank god Mark didn’t know about it, Jaebum wanted to keep as much embarrassment away as possible. He did have the photo framed in their bedroom however, what could he say? Jinyoung had an eye for photography.

            As Jinyoung patched up Mark’s hand in the kitchen Jaebum tried to explain to Jinyoung what happened and when he mentioned that Mark might get kicked out Jinyoung jumped up excitedly and said, “He can live with us.”

            Mark smiled at Jinyoung but after his hand was patched up asked to go to his room. They left the guest bedroom the same in case Mark had ever wanted to spend time over but by the way Jinyoung was bouncing up and down on his heels Jaebum had a feeling Mark’s residence might soon be permanent.

            Once back in there bedroom Jaebum landed onto the bed with a sigh. He felt completely lost as to what to do. He didn’t want to displease his father but the way he treated Mark was unacceptable. No wonder the boy lashed out so much, who wouldn’t in a situation like that?

            “I really think Mark staying with us is a good option,” Jinyoung said cuddling up to his boyfriend, running his fingers through the older male’s hair. Jaebum leaned into the touch letting Jinyoung’s fingers sooth him.

            “I know you want kids, but a teenager Jinyoung? I don’t know…”

            “Aw come on he’s cute, just like his brother.” Jinyoung said placing a kiss to Jaebum’s temple. “Mark probably doesn’t understand what family love is supposed to feel like. Right now he’s vulnerable so why can’t we show him what a happy family is supposed to look like?”

            Sighing once more Jaebum closed his eyes, he knew today was going to be a bad idea, but with Jinyoung at his side it didn’t matter. Jinyoung was right, Mark probably didn’t understand how love was supposed to feel and that alone was sad, but would Mark even want to stay with him, they hadn’t particularly gotten along over the years.  Deciding to ask Mark in the morning Jaebum finally feel asleep, wrapped up around the warmth that he had grown addicted to.