Chapter Twenty

The First Step

Chapter Twenty

            A few days into Mark’s stay with Jaebum he got a phone call from his step mother stating that his father wanted to speak with him. Jaebum was already having trouble with a new project he was working on at work and he was still trying his hardest to let Mark know that things were different but the boy was either too scared to talk about the subject with Jaebum or Mark would just flat out lie and say that he was fine. Sure Jaebum saw Mark smile a lot more than he used to but Mark still had more rough days than not. He just wished the boy wouldn’t worry so much…wouldn’t cry so much alone in his room.

            Jinyoung had told Jaebum that he needed to be patient and that Mark would come around but Jaebum had been patient all his life, had been silent all his life and he absolutely hated it. His patience was running low and something needed to give or he was going to lose it.

            Jaebum had called his father and told him that he would so up at the house after work but to expect him to be a bit late to which his father had a few choice words about punctuality but Jaebum could really careless. When he did arrive however, Jane welcomed him in with a warm smile and said that his father was in the study. Jaebum returned her smile and made his way to the study.

            “There he is! Jaebum son how are you doing, I’m so proud to hear about your promotion, you’re the team leader now in your division correct?” His father said patting his back before taking a seat in front of him.

            “Um yes father thank you, Jane told me you wanted to discuss something with me?” Jaebum said getting right to the point. He did not want to be here any longer than he had to, he wanted to see is caring boyfriend, his adorable cat and well Mark too.

            “Oh now come let’s talk about other things first, let’s leave talk of that nuisance for later. In fact you should stay for dinner!” His father said, smiling before coughing a bit from years of smoking.

            “I’m sorry I can’t stay very long I have to get home to help Mark with his homework and I already have dinner arrangements with someone.”

            “My, that idiotic boy can’t even do his own homework by himself? He should not be bothering you when you have such an important project to be working on, and a dinner arrangement? Jaebum have you finally found a sweet girl for yourself, what’s her name?” His father asked but Jaebum swallowed hard before saying,

            “No, it’s just with a friend of mine and Mark is actually very smart he’s taking advanced classes this year.” Jaebum said but his father just rolled his eyes.

            “That boy couldn’t find his way out of a paper bag! You really should send him home, I don’t want him bothering you any longer.”

            “Mark isn’t a bother father I like having him around, we never really got along as children, this is a chance for us to get closer.”

            “Why would you want to get closer to such a useless thing? The best thing Mark is good for is something to ignore.” His father said, which had Jaebum balling his fists at his side.

            He knew talking like this would only make the man angrier and that talking to his father was basically talking to a brick wall so Jaebum ended the discussion quickly saying he did not want to be late for his dinner.

            On his way out the door Jane apologized and said that his father was just upset because he had a bad day at work but Jaebum ignored the excuses, that talk might have worked when he was a child but no longer.

            “How’s Jinyoung doing?” Jane asked on the front porch which instantly made Jaebum happy. Just the sound of his loves name brought a subtle smile to his face. When Jaebum was still in high school he had told Jane all about Jinyoung before making her promise to never mention it to his father. Jane wasn’t a cruel woman but she did lack confidence in herself to leave his father. Jane was the only one he could rely on about being gay and he was grateful she was there for that.

            “He’s doing well, we actually live together now. He’s really happy to have Mark staying with us and so am I.” Jaebum said.

            “I…I’m sorry I couldn’t be a strong enough mother for Mark. I love him I really do but…well you know how your father can be at times. He’s usually really sweet but Mark just makes him so angry.”

            “Jane, I’m not the one you should be talking to about this. If you want to be a better mother you should speak with Mark yourself, but I will tell him you said hello okay?” Jaebum said before placing a kiss on the woman’s cheek. Jaebum watched as she waved goodbye as he headed home, to the people he truly cared about.