I Am Not Really Sure Of What You Mean To Me But I'll Stand By You

Beneath the Surface

After the funeral things at the dorms were really peaceful, as a matter of fact, no one had fought over the last few days: it wasn’t as everything was back to the normal state, they weren’t, especially considering the fact that Baekhyun and Jongdae were still dealing with their loss and that Kyungsoo’s and Baekhyun’s relation was still strained; even after Jongdae and the wide eyed boy made amends and restarted their relationship, Kyungsoo was still very insecure about the two friends close relationship and his insecurities, despite Jongdae’s many reassurances, made him distance himself from Baekhyun, sometimes making some cruel remarks to the other.

On the other hand, much to everyone’s dismay, Sehun and Baekhyun had now evolved to a stage where both could stay in the same room, for a long period of time, without trying to maim the other, without throwing nasty remarks at each other and even maintaining some conversation, especially if they were left alone, since they had no one else to distract them.

It had seemed that the roles had been reversed and Sehun and Kyungsoo’s point of view, about Baekhyun had been inverted. Once, while alone with Baekhyun and Jongin, the sleepy head who, at the time, was sleeping in Baekhyun’s lap, since he claimed, to everyone who listened, that his hyung was “the best pillow in the whole wide world”, the one who spent time trailing after his hyung all the time for a nap, thing that he was really fond of, much to the older’s amusement and to the maknae’s frustration; Sehun had inquired the smaller about how it had changed his relationship with Jongdae.

“It hasn’t per se, we are still very close and he’s my confident and the best friend I could have ever dream of, however I know that because of me, they fight a lot. I don’t know why though since Jongdae and I explained to him that there isn’t anything going on with us for quite some time but, well, the heart is a fickle thing at times.”

“You don’t seem quite as close.” commented the maknae “In fact it feels like you’re drifting away.”

“Maybe…I just…This is important to him, I have never seen him so smitten with someone as he is with Kyungsoo and I really don’t want to mess things with them. He’s insecure, and has some motives for being so, since he knows my story and Jongdae’s, and if it is best for me to take a step back so that Kyungsoo can be more comfortable I’ll just do it. Clearly they need more time together to really mend things between them.”

“So you just cut out time with one of your best friends?”

“If it is what it takes to see him happy!”

And the conversation had ended there; the two of them stopped their chat abruptly when Kyungsoo climbed down the stairs, looking at them suspiciously before entering the kitchen.

Back to present days, Jongin had been trying to convince everyone to attend Taemin’s party; the SHINee younger member was having his birthday in a few days and had decided to throw a huge party at a nearby club, inviting almost all the people from SM groups, and pretty much just rending everybody flabbergasted at the decision. Some members agreed pretty quickly but others, read Baekhyun and Kris were reluctant, Kris because he was lazy while Baekhyun complained that he was tired and needed the rest.

In order to convince the final members, Jongin had recruited the best of the best, meaning Chanyeol, since the older man could clearly make someone change its mind, if not by the simple fact that he was annoying as everything when he wanted. Strangely enough, it was Kris that convinced Baekhyun to go, using his deathly methods, one night while everybody was eating, after killing themselves at practice.

Kyungsoo, with the help of Tao, had made kimchi spaghetti which was now being served to the members; first the maknaes, Sehun, Jongin and Tao, then the elders, Minseok and Luhan, everyone else had been left to fend off for themselves and get what they could, Yixing and Baekhyun, who had been the last ones to shower, managed to get a fewer scraps. There were not many moments like that, where they all could sit around the table, or in some cases, on the island in the kitchen and eat together, so everyone was particularly excited, talking and eating to each other contently.

“So, Baekhyunnie” started Chanyeol, mouth full of food, turning to grin at the smaller male, who looked at him with raised brow “Have you considered my proposition yet?”

“God Chanyeol, chew first and then speak, I don’t need to see half chewed food falling from your mouth!” stated the older, wrinkling his button nose “And no, I am not going, first because I said previously that I want to use that time to sleep, second, your proposition , carrying me around is humiliating, not a favor!”

“But just think about it, and then you wouldn’t have to tire yourself out, meaning you’ll not need those extra hours of sleep, meaning you can come to the party.”

“Brilliant logic Chanyeol!”

“So you’ll come?”

“No.”

“Come on Hyunnie!” begged Chanyeol launching himself at the other, almost throwing Yixing’s bowl and Baekhyun to the floor.

“Jesus Christ, Yeol! No!” replied the older batting Chanyeol’s hands away from him.

“Why not dongsaengie?” asked Kris from the other side of the table.

“Don’t start with me too hyung. I just want to rest, we have both days off.”

“More reason for you to come, you’ll party one night and rest the on the remaining time.”

“Didn’t you say you weren’t going, just yesterday?”

“I did but then Chanyeol annoyed the heck out of me to come, therefore you should come too so that all of us can suffer together.” replied Kris with a saccharine smile, despite Jongin’s yells of ‘hey! It’s gonna be awesome hyung’.

“Go and be miserable alone!” grumbled Baekhyun who glared at Chanyeol when the younger latched to his side again.

“Do you remember that time I took you out to drink and you got a little tipsy?” asked Kris randomly.

“Yeah…”

“Did you know you say the most interesting things when you’re tipsy?”

“What did he say?” asked both Chanyeol and Luhan, completely interested in the conversation.

“That’s blackmail Kris!” admonished Junmyeon.

“You’re being unfair!” pouted Baekhyun, ignoring blatantly the cooing going around the table at his expression.

“I am being efficient! So you’ll come.”

“Do I have any choice?” asked the tinier male petulantly, petting Jongin in the head when the other complained that he was still hungry and there was no more spaghetti in the pot.

“Not really, not!” shrugged the taller leader.

“Fine, I’ll come.” sighed the little hobbit cringing slightly at the cheers that his friends let out. “You’re awful hyung.”

“Baekhyun hyung, I’m hungry.” wailed Jongin.

“What’s the secret?” asked Chanyeol enthusiastically “Tell me, tell me, tell me!”

“It’s probably the name of someone Baekhyun screwed. We know how he loves screwing others.”

After Kyungsoo’s words, the kitchen went into complete silence, everyone was staring either at Kyungsoo or Baekhyun, completely froze; they didn’t believe how could the heart shaped mouth boy could have said something like that.

Sehun couldn’t either, especially since Baekhyun had been nothing but a good, although annoying friend to Kyungsoo and this was his repay. He felt sorry for the older male, who sat in his seat, jaw clenched and hands balled up in fists. He stood up from his place, placing his bowl of spaghetti in front of Jongin with a forced smile before turning on his heel to leave the room.

“Baekhyun wait, don’t go!” begged Jongdae, his voice cutting through the silence.

“Don’t! Just don’t!” replied the other turning to face them, looking completely composed aside from his red face and white knuckles. “Because if I’ll stay I’ll either say something really offensive or I’ll kick your boyfriend in the mouth. No one wants that, so it’s better for me to go.”

And with that he turned away and marched to the dorms entrance.

“Where are you going?” asked Junmyeon alarmed, since he could see the younger putting on his shoes.

“Out!”

“Where to?”

“I don’t know!”

“When will you be back?”

“When I do!”

The dorm slammed shut, with enough force to make the cabinets rattle.

“Luhan, go after him.” ordered Kris.

“On it.” replied the older boy already on his way to the door, face abnormally serious for such a relaxed person.

As soon as Luhan left the door, running after the younger boy, Kris turned to Kyungsoo.

“Explain. Now!”

“I have nothing to say.” replied Kyungsoo, picking up his chopsticks and continuing eating calmly.

“You just accused Baekhyun of screwing around.” retorted Minseok.

“He screws with other people’s boyfriends.”

“You mean Jongdae? Except for the fact that he wasn’t even your boyfriend back then, I mean.” interjected Sehun

“And why are you on his side? I thought you didn’t like him!”

“He’s a pain in the and an annoying hobbit all wrapped up in a small sized package and I’ve said a lot about him but never once did I accuse him of screwing around!”

“He’s trouble. Knowing what I know now…I bet that’s how he got into EXO!” spat Kyungsoo

“Kyungsoo!!”

“Okay that is more than enough. You, Do Kyungsoo, are a sick bastard.” growled Sehun earning himself a few gasps. “Baekhyun was, first and foremost, always your friend, he did what he could to help whenever he could and this is how you repay him? Pat in the back for you if you think so. Then when all this started, not only he had the decency of talking to you to clear up things but he also backed away from your boyfriend, who is one of his best friends, to not cause problems between you which, by the way Jongdae, you are a retarded for not defending your friend against the offenses that were thrown at him. For the record, I still want to smack that tiny midget to pieces most of the times but even I admit that he has an outstanding sense of loyalty and he’s annoyingly true to himself, so he would never to something like that!”

“Defender of all things Baekhyun, are you now?”

“Someone as to since you are attacking him without a valid reason; I’m kind of disappointed, I wish that he would’ve kicked you. You deserve it.”

“Without a reason?! He slept with my boyfriend!!”

“He slept with your boyfriend before you were even his boyfriend, also that is still not a valid reason, you’re just being a jealous who’s acting all dramatic and miserable because he can’t fathom that we wasn’t the first person his prince put his eyes upon! Grow up!”

“Jongdae!” called Kyungsoo looking at the other male “Are you listenening to this? Why aren’t you saying something?”

“He isn’t going to say a thing! Didn’t you notice how quiet he is?” asked Sehun mockingly “He is going to stay tight where he is, without saying a word to his boyfriend who is busy bashing his friend; the one he promised to always have his back. Bravo to you Jongdae, you must be proud of yourself.” And damn if Sehun was not eager to throw that jab at Jongdae, who was watching everything unfold and said nothing.

“Why would he say something about that lecherous boy?” spat Kyungsoo.

“Stop it Kyungsoo.” everyone turned to look at Jongin who, contrary to his normal cutesy and adorable self, looked extremely upset and serious. “You are being mean to Baekhyun hyung just because you don’t like that he had something with Jongdae and you are letting jealousy cloud your better judgment. Jongdae likes you and Baekhyun is your friend, despite whatever you might think, trust a little more in them. And Jongdae hyung, Sehun is right, I thought that Baekhyun hyung was your friend, you shouldn’t let anyone talk about him like that. It’s bad enough that he listens to this all the time.”

That little whispered comment at the end caught the attention of everybody.

“All the time? What are you talking about?” asked Yixing gently coaxing the younger male.

“There are some trainees, at SM building, that are saying mean things to Baekhyun hyung.” explained Tao, sharing a look with Jongin. “I think they are jealous and upset over the fact that Baekhyun hyung debuted and they didn’t.”

“And what are these things that those people are saying?”

“They are saying that Baekhyun hyung only debuted because he slept his way to the top and sometimes they make really inappropriate suggestions to hyung.”

“Like lewd suggestions. And once, one of them tried to hyung!”

“What did Baekhyun do?” asked Junmyeon, worried, knowing very well that the shorter male have a bad temper when irked like that.

“Nothing, he just shoved him aside. He knew you wouldn’t be happy if he did something. He just grabbed us and left.”

“Did you know about that?” asked Junmyeon to Kris.

“No, I did not. When did this began?”

“One, maybe two months ago.”

“Why didn’t he say anything?” frowned Junmyeon.

“As if you don’t know how Baekhyun is. He won’t say anything because he doesn’t think it’s necessary. For some stupid reason, he already thinks he’s not as good as we are; I’ve seen him almost every day this week training after hours. Do you really think he’ll say something?” pointed Minseok out with a sad smile. “That’s Baekhyun; he won’t say a thing even if it’s killing him.”

“I want to talk to him though, he cannot be submitted to these kind of behaviors, I won’t allow it!” interjected Junmyeon. “We have to talk with him.”

“Agreed, just not today.” stated Kris “However, Do Kyungsoo, I really want to have a private conversation with you and with Jongdae tonight. Junmyeon will be there too, as will Minseok and Luhan as soon as he arrives. We have a lot to discuss.”

“I don’t think we have.” replied Kyungsoo in an even tone of voice.

Strangely enough, it was Junmyeon who was set off by that comment.

“You will come and we will discuss what we have to discuss whether you like it or not, even if I have to pull you into the office, kicking and screaming like a five year old.” he said, leaning forward on the table, to look at Kyungsoo, directly in the eyes, with a no nonsense kind of voice.

The dorm door opening and closing brought their attention to the doorway and Baekhyun shot right through the hall, climbing the stairs and probably going to one of the bedrooms, while Luhan entered the kitchen.

“Is he okay?” asked Junmyeon immediately while Jongin stood up from his place.

“Not really okay, although he does play things off nicely. He didn’t speak much but vented his anger on a lamp post nearby, he didn’t go very far, which by the way, I think he should ice his hand, otherwise he’ll have a massive bruise on his knuckles tomorrow.” commented Luhan nonchalantly, earning a disbelieving look from the elder males at the table. Then, he turned to Jongin and a little more gently he proceeded. “I think some cuddles would do wonders for him. Up to that Jongin?”

The bronzed skinned male nodded quickly before disappearing from the kitchen, being quickly followed by Tao. Chanyeol made a move to stand up as well but Yixing grabbed him.

“If you think I am going to clean up all of this alone, you are very wrong. Plus, it’s your day to wash the dishes.” he told the other with a saccharine smile, making Chanyeol pout.

On the other hand, from the corner of his eye, Sehun could see his eldest hyungs, his two leaders plus Jongdae and Kyungsoo move towards the office. He sneakily ran from the kitchen, avoiding any domestic task that Yixing might had in store for him and went to his bedroom since he wasn’t in the mood for TV after all that had happened. He was thoughtful enough to take a pack of frozen peas with him. As soon as he opened the door to the room he shared with Jongin and Minseok, he found Baekhyun lying on Jongin’s bed with Tao and Jongin all wrapped around him. 

“Kyungsoo hyung was really mean to you.” he heard Tao muttering.

“I don’t like him!” grouched Jongin nuzzling Baekhyun’s neck, while the older rubbed comforting circles on his back. Why on Earth was Baekhyun comforting the younger ones when he was the one that should be upset was a mystery to Sehun.

“Don’t say that, neither of you; even if I am not getting along with Kyungsoo at the moment, our fights are our fights, you should not be taking sides. I do appreciate that you’re here comforting me but I expect you to be polite and civil toward him, okay?”

“But he said mean things.”

“Like I said, this is between us, so please no more animosity needed. Also, he always treats you right.”

“But…”

“No buts Tao. Just, please, no more okay?”

They both nodded slowly before Tao looked up and saw him.

“Sehunnie!”

That did draw enough attention on him, making Jongin and Baekhyun look in his direction. Truth to be told, Jongin gave him a disinterested look, which to hell with him since Sehun was a very interesting person, but Baekhyun’s eyes lingered on him; his hyung look very tired and in need of a good rest.

“Sehun? Is everything alright?” he asked, tilting his head to the side and batting Tao’s head out of his field vision.

“Just brought you this, for your hand; Luhan told us about it.” he muttered handing the bag to Baekhyun. When the smaller failed to place it correctly on top of his hand, because he hadn’t had that much space to move, Sehun moved a little forward to put the bag in the proper place.

“You two are so civil to each other nowadays, it’s so weird!” commented Tao while Jongin continue to ignore him, halfway to dreamland, which didn’t surprise Sehun the slightest, since the other really loved to sleep.

“Yixing called you to do the dishes.” said Sehun with a mischievous tone of voice, knowing fairly well that Tao had a deep respect for Yixing, sentiment also known as fear, since the other had made him clean the kitchen, all by himself, once, when he had failed to wash the dishes and clean the table when it was his turn. Tao’s eyes widened after he heard that and he bolted from the bed elbowing Baekhyun in the ribs, yelling a ‘sorry’ before leaving the room in a hurry.

“Yixing didn’t really call him, did he?” asked Baekhyun with a little smile playing at the corner of his lips, eyes trained on a dozing Jongin; he actually wasn’t sure if the plump lipped boy was already asleep, Baekhyun wouldn’t put it past him; if there was anyone who could sleep through a hurricane that someone would be Kim Jongin.

“No, but he doesn’t know that, does he?” smirked Sehun letting himself fall into his bed.

“I guess he doesn’t.” replied Baekhyun before turning serious “How did things went when I left? I shouldn’t have reacted that way but…”

“No buts,” interrupted Sehun “you had all the right to say what you did. He was talking trash and he needs to be put on his place. I am kind of disappointed how a tough little midget like you didn’t say worse to them. Or you saved your worst for me?” he asked playfully.

“The truly nasty comments are mine and your thing. I wouldn’t dream of cheating on you with somebody else.”

“Jongin’s sleeping?”

“I think he is.” replied the older with a yawn.

“Aren’t you going to sleep? You seem kind of tired lately.” mumbled Sehun turning on is tablet, hoping to play a little before going to sleep, avoiding eye contact after he realized he practically admitted he had been watching the hobbit.

“I am but I don’t really want to go to my room right now plus, if I move, I’ll probably wake Jongin, he’s a deep sleeper but not that deep.”

Sehun seemed to realize Baekhyun’s implicit words; the older didn’t want to go to the room he usually shared with Jongdae and Chanyeol, Jongdae being the main reason if he was the one to assume.

“Okay…” Sehun hesitated a little before continuing “You want to use my mp3 player for a bit?”

Baekhyun seemed surprised at the other’s offer but accepted nonetheless, putting the earbuds on his ears, allowing his body to relax and smiling at the younger man.

“Thank you.” he whispered before returning to his activity of rubbing patterns on Jongin’s back.

“You’re welcome.” whispered Sehun completely mesmerized by the other’s small but beautiful smile for a minute or two before turning his attention to the screen of his tablet, heart beating way too fast for his liking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun didn’t really know how much time he spent playing games but his attention was diverted when Minseok entered the room, looking worse for wear.

“Hyung?”

“What are you doing maknae? It’s late you should be sleeping.”

“What time is it?”

“Midnight and something.”

He watched as his hyung changed to his nightwear and walking around from side to side, cleaning things up until the older’s eyes fell on Baekhyun and Jongin.

“How long as he been like that?” he asked pointing at the two.

Sehun looked at the bed next to his, finding Baekhyun deep asleep, lips parted and face relaxes, sat propped against the headboard, his grip tight on Jongin and on the mp3 player in his hand.

“I don’t know. He was already like that when I got here; the only difference was that he was awake. I guess he fell asleep listening to music.”

“That’s really no position for him to sleep. I’ll wake him up…”

“No!” interrupted Sehun, grabbing Minseok’s arm “Don’t, he’s tired just…let him sleep!”

Minseok gave one long look at the maknae, scrutinizing him from head to toe, before nodding.

“At least help me take of his coat and put him into a laying position.”

Sehun moved out of his bed and help his hyung do what he asked, gently slipping the earbuds from Baekhyun’s ears, earning himself a soft noise from the other. Without making a noise, he grabbed a blanket from the dresser and covered Jongin and Baekhyun with it, mostly because he was aware of the older’s lack of resistance against cold temperatures, not that it was the case but Sehun thought it was better safe than sorry.

“Growing fond of him?” asked Minseok as he slipped into bed.

Sehun, however, chose to ignore his hyung and lay down on his bed without bothering to answer, turning off the lights.

“How did your talk with Kyungsoo go?” he asked instead.

“Don’t change the subject maknae; I’m not the first person to notice, you don’t argue anymore, you stick up for him, calm him down when needed. It’s like you are very in tune with his needs and he tends to gravitate more towards you these days. Is it something going on with you two?”

“Goodnight hyung.” replied Sehun, once again ignoring the question.

“You know that it is okay for you to like him, don’t you?”

“Goodnight hyung!” repeated the maknae, while Minseok sighed and muttered something under his breath, before shifting slightly and stilling altogether.

Sehun couldn’t sleep; he couldn’t take his mind out if hyung’s words or the fact that he actually liked Baekhyun’s smile. He admitted that he didn’t saw the older as his enemy anymore but that left him with a bigger question that he wasn’t sure how to reply:

 

“If he’s not my enemy, what is he to me?”

 

 

 

A/N: As I post this, it is, in my country, already the 13th of July, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!! This is my little present for you all, I hope you like this chapter. This chapter is a filler one, it sort of prepares you for what is going to happen next episode! Be aware then ^^
I hope you like it, if so, read, enjoy and let me know okay? ^^
Lots of love and awesome cuddles for you all, have the most magnificent day ;)