I Love You

Beneath the Surface

Sehun woke up slowly, feeling his body hum with pleasure of a well-rested night. The previous had been filled with dance practice, since their comeback was near and everything needed to be as perfect as it could be.

He looked to the side, grumbling a bit when the bright lights coming from outside slipped past the blinds an illuminated the room, to his sleeping boyfriend and warmth spread through him in seconds. He smiled, how could he not? His lover looked so unbelievably adorable: button nose twitching slightly, rosy cheeks, lips slightly parted and his long, elegant fingers subconsciously near those parted lips; Sehun snorted a bit at that, because even when sleeping, Baekhyun couldn’t seem to let go of his habit.

He propped himself up, resting his upper body weight in his elbow and let his chin rest on his palm; he used his other hand to trace random patterns on the , soft skin of Baekhyun’s back, willing some whimpering noises to pass the other’s lips.

Sehun couldn’t believe how far he and Baekhyun had come, from not standing each other, and he was more at fault of that than Baekhyun would ever be because he had been the hostile one, not the smaller man, to actually respecting and caring for each other in such a way. He had never in his life, felt more connected and in tune with somebody than he felt with Baekhyun. The smaller man had lodged himself in his heart and, if he was being truthful, there were little chances of that changing, not that Sehun cared much about it: he was completely fine with that fact.

After a few deliberating moments, Sehun leaned forward to press kisses on the smaller’s shoulder, carefully as not to wake up his lover, however, when Baekhyun’s hand move to his face, rubbing it a little, Sehun knew he was about to wake up. And wake up he did, he opened his eyes slowly, blinking them repeatedly before focusing on the man before him and smiling. And it was breathtaking, it was beautiful and made his heart clench in the best way possible.

“Good morning!” he whispered, leaning to kiss Baekhyun’s neck this time.

“For me maybe, I don’t have practice today because my vocal coach is sick. You on the other hand…” replied Baekhyun still a little sleepy. “But good morning!” he added mischievously before pressing a kiss to Sehun’s lips.

“What are you going to do today then?”

“Jongdae wanted to check a new coffee shop that opened.”

“Is Kyungsoo coming with you?”

“No, he wanted to go and buy Kris a gift. I think Kris saw some kind of shirt that he liked the other day and Kyungsoo wants to buy it for him and he will take Tao with him.”

“Who better…”

“Also, you know that Kyungsoo and Jongdae are still awkward with each other.”

“So, you’re going to enjoy your little break without me?”

“Of course!” replied Baekhyun with a little smirk “But I’ll make sure to drop by and visit you.”

“Much appreciated! Now, stop being lazy and come to take a shower so we can have breakfast before I have to leave.

”I don’t want to.” muttered Baekhyun, draping himself on top of Sehun’s body.

“What do you want to do?” asked Sehun caressing his boyfriend’s back while the other just hummed happily.

“Cuddle with you all day.”

“That sound amazing but I have schedules today. Also, Yixing hyung has ideas to a new choreo, so I can’t really not be there.”

Baekhyun nodded at his boyfriend before standing up from the bed, wrapping a blanket around his body.

“Cold?” asked Sehun, looking at the petite form of his lover.

“Yeah…it’s not the same without being all cuddled up to you.” confessed Baekhyun while blushing a pretty shade of pink.

Sehun looked surprised at Baekhyun; their relationship was based on more actions than words, they bantered more than expressed their feelings, and hearing that surprised him a little bit. He stood up as well, leaving the comfort of the bed and joining his boyfriend, hugging him. Baekhyun looked at him and he looked at him with so much adoration that Sehun almost stumbled back with the force of it. They stood there looking at each other, soaking up the happy and peaceful atmosphere.

Baekhyun gave him a smile, bopped him in the nose before telling him to march to the bathroom.

For a brief moment, Sehun thought about how much he loved the other man. That’s right, love! He knew he loved Baekhyun, from the top of his pretty hair to his tippy toes. His petite lover was loud, obnoxious at times, abrasive, with a sharp tongue and little patience for trivial things, but at the same time, his heart was big enough to accommodate the whole world; he was generous, kind, sweet and a very good friend, Baekhyun never minded going out his own way to do something for someone else and every single member in EXO was fond of him. He, himself, included; he was completely besotted, enraptured, in love, whatever you wished to call it. Baekhyun was definitely his world and that made him incredibly lucky; that made him completely happy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongdae sighed for the umpteenth time since he had walked into the coffee shop and Baekhyun felt a wave of worry crash into him. For the last month and a half, Jongdae and himself, had been making real progress in their relationship, sometimes things would get a bit awkward but all in all, they were mostly back to the point it was before. Baekhyun was ecstatic to have his best friend back, his beagle brother back.

“Are you okay?” he asked leaning forward to better look at Jongdae’s eyes “You sighed so many times that I beginning to think that somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean a tornado is starting to form.”

“What?” asked Jongdae looking at him, confused by his words.

“It’s the butterfly effect you know; the flap of a butterfly’s wings can…nevermind!” scoffed Baekhyun noticing Jongdae getting more and more confused. “Why are you sighing so much? I’m getting kind of worried here; it’s not like you at all to be this mopey.”

“I don’t know!” replied Jongdae softly, eyes fixated on his drink.

“Could it be about Yixing maybe?” asked Baekhyun carefully, trying to breach the subject with as much tact as he could, which wasn’t that much if he was really honest with himself.

“Maybe. I wish I knew!”

“What to talk about it?”

“I am just so confused! About everything!” sighed Jongdae “You know I have been spending more and more time with Yixing and, truth to be told, I like it; he’s sweet, he’s attentive, he makes me laugh… all in all, I feel really good when I’m with him. But it seems like that there is a barrier between us at times; I want to tell him that I like him but I can bring myself to do say it. What if I just let myself go into this only to be disappointed in the end?”

“Okay, let’s just put things into perspective! That barrier that you are talking about is nothing but your own fears manifesting themselves. You are subconsciously thinking about what happened with Kyungsoo and scared that it will happen again with Yixing, asking yourself ‘what if’ over and over again and being dominated by said fear. While I do get it, you aren’t really being fair to Yixing. You are not giving him a chance to prove himself when you keep on comparing him to Kyungsoo. They are two different individuals and if you keep on comparing them, you’ll never get the chance to notice what is right in front of you. Yixing is not a man of many words, he is a man of actions, a dancer thing I think, and he clearly likes you. Anyone of us can see it. The little glances, the little touches. You could have so much more than you already have, you have to stop thinking and feel instead. Put all rational thoughts aside and let yourself be happy.”

Jongdae looked at the other male; Baekhyun certainly had a point, in fact, he was completely right, in every sense possible. He had certainly noticed the subtle change in his friend demeanor; he was glowing, radiant. It suited him well.

“You’re so in love it’s kind of pathetic and amazing at the same time.” commented Jongdae loftily.

“The topic of this conversation changed really fast!”

“It did.”

“Are you finally going to talk with Yixing?” asked Baekhyun, voice laced with annoyance as the straw he was using kept trying to get out of his cup, thanks to the bubbles in his drink.

“Should I?”

“You should! I love Yixing very much but he’s oblivious to the most obvious things at times; he probably won’t notice a thing until you tell him.”

“Probably. I’m going to think a bit more about it then I’ll make a decision.” decided Jongdae happily “So, want to tell me what’s that little thing that is going on with Kris and Kyungsoo? I heard things when I got up once to drink water and I know you talked about it with them!”

“I’m not touching that relationship with a ten foot pole painted in gold!” snorted Baekhyun finishing his drink, he made a little face at it, by now his soda was more water than actually soda, thanks to the ice cubes. “You want to know you ask them!”

“You’re no fun!” pouted Jongdae playing with his empty cup.

“I know I’m not!” joked Baekhyun before an idea crossed his mind “Say Jongdae, what do you say we buy some refreshments and some snacks and take them to our lovely boys?”

“Sehun and Yixing?”

“Of course.”

“What about Luhan and Jongin?”

“Minseok hyung texted me earlier, he said that he was going to check up on Jongin after he went to the gym. Luhan can fend off for himself, he barged into mine and Sehun’s room without knocking…again!”

“So?”

“I was almost !” whined Baekhyun.

“And Sehun was too?” asked Jongdae with a smirk trying to bait the older man.

“No, he had just finished dressing himself,.” replied Baekhyun confused before understanding what the other was trying to do. “Go to hell, Jongdae!” he grumbled, standing up from his seat, ignoring Jongdae’s cackles behind him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sweat was running down Sehun’s back and he was completely out of breathe when the door of the practice room opened up and his petite boyfriend peeked inside, Jongdae in tow, which made Yixing, who was fiddling with his phone, smile like a lunatic.

Jongdae immediately skipped towards the older man, a grin on his face and a bottle of an energy drink ready to be delivered to his hyung. Baekhyun shook his head in amusement and walked in his lover’s direction, playfully throwing himself at the younger man, who encased him in a hug.

“While I love you launching yourself at me, like a tiny little rocket, I really am very sweaty at the moment.”

“I don’t care.” replied Baekhyun quickly, before looking around. “Where’s Jongin?”

“I don’t know, that traitor left with Minseok hyung a while ago. He insisted so much on practice and then just ditched it in a blink of an eye.”

Baekhyun laughed hard at that, head tilting back with the force of it.

“Oh just let them be. They are in love.”

“Does being in love mean that you can skip practice?” asked Sehun jokingly “You don’t see me doing it!”

The older male hummed slightly, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips, while he leaned into Sehun’s body, eyes locked with the younger’s, soft and docile.

“Did you have a good time with the beagle?”

“I did. It was fun. I brought you bubble tea, it’s in my backpack. We talked a lot but I missed you.” muttered the smaller male, looking embarrassed at the admission.

“Want to go out somewhere tonight? Just the two of us?” asked Sehun quietly gazing at his petite beau, who had his eyes closed, looking completely content and comfortable.

Baekhyun opened his eyes to look at the taller; he looked surprise at the sudden invitation and a little bit excited; Sehun could relate, their schedules have been crazy, preparing for another comeback, so aside from sleeping in the same bed and sharing practice rooms, Sehun and Baekhyun hadn’t spent as much as time together as they would like. But then, his lover’s eyes became worried.

“I would like, you know I love spending time with you but aren’t you tired? You’ve been saying that your shoulders hurt. Shouldn’t you rest?” he asked, concern taking over his features.

“I’m perfectly fine. And I really want to spend some quality time with you.”

“Then I would love too!” replied the other, a dazzling smile whipping away the worried look on his face.

“And I suggest that we go now before Jongdae or Yixing notices us, which I personally think they won’t since they are so lost in each other right now that even an earthquake would fail to distract them.”

A small chuckle and a kiss was all the warning that Baekhyun gave him before grabbing his hand, fingers tightly interlocked, and pulling him along, both of them running out of the practice room, not minding the yells coming from both his teammates or even the odds looks they received while they run through the corridors.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun was calmly drinking tea in the kitchen after dressing himself for his and Sehun’s night out. After running away from Jongdae and Yixing, they had making a small detour, because Sehun wanted some more bubble tea and when they got to the dorms, Tao had helpfully informed them that there was a line to take a shower and they just were the last ones, gloating like a cat who got the cream, teasing the couple that they should have arrived earlier. However, what Tao did forget was the fact that the majority of them were couples which reduced the waiting time by quite a lot. So, in the end, they didn’t have to wait much longer.

He had decided to come downstairs because Sehun was being, well, vain as hell, and was spending a whole lot of time picking his clothes and styling his hair. Thankfully, to everybody’s shock he had to guess, in their relationship, Sehun was the fashion junkie while Baekhyun just picked something that went well together and put it on.

“You look really nice.” commented someone making Baekhyun jump.

“Jesus Tao, don’t do that. You scared me.”

“Going out?” asked the oldest maknae, looking at him up and down.

“Yeah, Sehun and I are going out tonight.”

“Oh, so that why you look so good!” replied Tao wiggling his eyebrows, before grabbing Baekhyun’s mug and chugging the tea, while the older shot him a nasty glare.

“Ready to go?” came a voice from the kitchen entrance.

Baekhyun was elated to see his boyfriend and damn if he didn’t look handsome; Sehun was handsome but today he had taken it to a whole another level.

 “You look gorgeous Baek.” complimented Sehun kissing the smaller male.

“You saw me dress.” laughed Baekhyun “But so are you. You look very handsome.”

Sehun smiled and delivered multiple kisses to Baekhyun’s lips, pausing only to bite playfully at the beauty mark on the corner of the other’s lips.

“Oh you two are going to be all gross aren’t you? I’m out of here.” complained Tao scurrying off the kitchen.

“You enjoy torturing Tao a little too much.”

Sehun smirked a little before grabbing Baekhyun’s hand and leading him out of the kitchen.

Just as they were finishing putting on their shoes, Tao’s voice made itself be heard.

“Uh…Is it normal for Yixing hyung and Jongdae hyung to be cuddling each other and kissing in front of the TV?”

“Yes!” came Jongdae’s indignant reply while cheering and catcalls could be heard from various rooms on the dorm.

“Finally!” yelled Baekhyun earning himself a ‘shut up’ from Jongdae’s, before leaving the house

“I like the fact that nobody is even shocked at this point. They just cheer.” commented Sehun in wonder making Baekhyun giggle while they closed the door behind them. “Ready?” he asked looking at the smaller male.

“As long as I’m with you, I’m always ready!” replied Baekhyun, eyes shining brightly in the pale moonlight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The night had been absolutely great and Baekhyun had an amazing time, the best time he had for a long while, or at least the best time he has since their practices had increased and his time together with Sehun had lessened. His boyfriend had always thought outside the box and this night had been no exception; he had taken Baekhyun to a pizza place where they both demolish the biggest pizza ever between the two of them; then after a walk along the river, Sehun had rented two bicycles and they had merrily pedal away, laughing and trying to outdone each other. They had stopped by deserted basketball court and decided to rest a bit, sitting on the cold stone bench.

“Having fun so far?” asked Sehun looking at a rosy faced Baekhyun.

“Yes!” replied the other excitedly.

“That’s nice. I wasn’t sure if you would prefer me going old school, you know, dinner at fancy, elegant place, then a walk under the moonlight with violins playing and all that.”

Baekhyun smiled softly at Sehun; he could tell the other was nervous about displeasing Baekhyun in any why but the taller man was just being silly, in his opinion.

“You’re being dumb. You know I don’t care about those things, what’s important is that you’re here with me. That and that you cared to do this for me.”

Sehun hummed slightly, extending and arm and putting it around Baekhyun’s shoulders, bringing the male closer to him. Very gently, he kissed the other’s forehead, marveling, for the hundredth time at the softness of the skin. Baekhyun laid his head on Sehun’s shoulders, nestling himself comfortably on the other’s side, completely familiar with the body next to him.

“It’s nice to spend a night with just you; no I love the other´s but I could use some time without someone…”

“Luhan and Chanyeol you mean!” interjected Sehun.

“…barging into our room.” finished Baekhyun.

“It is nice. You’re my favorite company.”

“And you’re my favorite person.”

“I actually have something for you.”

Baekhyun turned curiously at the other, watching him take a box from the pocket of his jacket. Sehun opened the box and picked a thin white gold bracelet from it. He took Baekhyun’s wrist in his hand and clasped the bracelet around it. He lifted his own sleeve to show the older male and exact same bracelet sitting on his own wrist.

The smaller male turned to look at him surprised but before he could say anything, Sehun started to speak.

“I know this is not much but I saw it and I thought of you and that it would be nice to have a couple’s item, something that I can look at and be reminded of you no matter where you are or am I. Something more than the fantastic memories that you gave me throughout these wonderful moments we have been together. I know I we had a really rocky start, mainly because I was a brat and you were a sassy hobbit, but I’m glad that we could get pass that and got together. I don’t say it often enough but you are the best thing that happened to me in a long time. When I think of all the hardships I went through training I realize that that is overshadowed by you. I’m not the kind of person who is extremely romantic, you know that, but once I think that you deserve it, you deserve all the romantic and cheesy moments, the sappy words and affection. This bracelet is only a small why of showing you that I care and that you mean the world to me and that I’m trying to make you happy.”

Baekhyun felt like he couldn’t breathe; Sehun’s words touched it him in a way he couldn’t really describe. He let a finger slid across the bracelet on Sehun’s wrist before looking at him.

“You’re silly. I know all of that; I know you’re not very romantic nor do you say those awful cliché phrases that we hear on movies but, truth is, I don’t really need any of those things to be happy. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate you trying, Sehun, but you don’t need to, not for my sake. Even when I was falling for you, I had an idea of what you were and the type of lover that you would be and being with you only showed me that I was absolutely right. You are neither those things, but you’re sweet and gentle, you are patient with me but don’t let me get away with bull, you are concerned but never overstepped boundaries. You tease me and make fun of me and I’m completely fine with that. You are my perfect oxymoron and I wouldn’t want you any other way, despite what you may think. You make me happy; in fact you make me the happiest and you don’t even have to do anything other than existing to accomplish that. You’re my home.”

Sehun cradled Baekhyun’s face with his hands, thumbs rubbing circles on the soft, pale skin, and brought the other’s face closer to his, lips just an inch apart from each other’s.

“I love you.” he whispered, enunciating each other clearly, making sure Baekhyun heard every single, word.

“I love you too.” whispered Baekhyun back before moving his lips that final inch and connecting their lips in the softest, most heartfelt kiss possible.

When they parted, they smiled at one another, so bright and dazzling that could outshine the moon. Baekhyun let himself fall into Sehun’s embrace and nuzzled the other’s neck, feeling so happy, so warm and so full of love that he doubted that anyone in the world was feeling the same as they did.

“Want to head back?” asked Sehun softly, almost choking up in his words, the feelings just sizzling inside of him making him feel loved and happy.

“Let’s just stay here a little bit more.” replied Baekhyun with another kiss to his lips.

Silence filled the air but it was a comfortable one; it was the kind of silence that only happened when two people knew and loved each other so intensely that all the words were unnecessary to express what was already tangible.

Sehun looked at the tiny male in his arms and thanked every deity possible for allowing him to have a chance at being happy. But most of all, he patted himself in the back praising himself for being able to see beneath the surface because that had given him the chance to have the most amazing person by his side; because it had gave him Baekhyun; his favorite person in the entire world; his happiness.

 

 

 

A/N: Aaaaaaaaaaand it's done. I am having mixed feelings here. It's so bittersweet! I want to thank each and every single one of you that has been reading this story and commenting on it and just supporting it. It means a lot to me, in a way that I can't describe. So thank you, with all my heart.

I am working on a new story, as some of you already know, which should be out in a couple of days. I'm also going to do a one shot story (probably one shot) side story to this one, with XiuKai as the main pairing, since it was a request from lovehyunstal, that I simply can't deny! ^^

I wish you all the best! Have a wonderful day! BE HAPPY! <3