I Despise You

Beneath the Surface

Sehun spent a really abnormal time watching Baekhyun. Tao joked and said that he had an unhealthy obsession with the older male but Sehun vehemently disagreed: how could he learn all of Baekhyun’s bad habits if he didn’t watch the other?

Out of all things that Baekhyun did, Sehun paid the upmost attention when the older left the house, along with Jongdae, on their free time. The duo would always leave the dorm in the afternoon, before dinner, only to return to the dorms very early in the morning.

In his mind, it was clear that two people, such as Baekhyun and Jongdae, were party animals: both had the endless amount of energy, they had a ‘I-don’t-care’ attitude and an all around wild behavior. They really had no filter and were wild children, even their manager had said so. Therefore, it was really obvious to Sehun that both of them spent all of their night on clubs, wasting money, grinding against strangers and getting drunk. He would know since he had done the laundry a few times and had smelled the pure stench of alcohol of their clothes almost immediately.

He had inquired Kyungsoo about it but the older just brushed him off. For a while he entertained the idea of asking Chanyeol but the other was a blabber mouth and there was no doubt in his mind that he would run to Baekhyun to tell him about his inquiring and Sehun did not want that, not even close. 

Naturally, he asked the next best person, which meant that he went to Junmyeon, since momma Myeon always knew everything.

“Hyung.” He called one night when he was helping Junmyeon cleaning the dishes.

“Yes, Sehunnie?”

“You know about Jongdae hyung and Baekhyun hyung night out? The one they do every week?” he asked receiving a small hum in acknowledgement. “Don’t you think you should stop that?”

“What do you mean?” Asked the other carefully, stopping whatever he was doing to look at the younger.

“Won’t it attract negative attention for us?”

“Negative attention?”

“Yes, as in bad publicity.”

“No, not at all. I think it's the opposite actually!” Replied Jungmyeon with a delighted smile.

“How can you say that, hyung?” Asked Sehun absolutely scandalized. “Are you being serious right now?”

“I don’t get it Sehun! What are you talking about?”

“I am talking about the fact that Jongdae hyung and Baekhyun go out and party all night. They come home reeking of alcohol and you tell me you find that okay?”

“Sehun, I think…”

“No!” Cut Sehun, too irked to even try to be polite. “If I want to go out I am immediately prohibited, because I am too young, because it’s too much public exposure and because, unintentionally, I can bring unwanted attention towards us. When I do manage to go out I have to take a chaperone and those two simply can go and be wild and neither you nor Kris say anything!”

“What’s going on?” Asked a voice from the kitchen doorway.

Sehun turned to the voices to see Baekhyun and Luhan, both sporting bubble tea on their hands. Baekhyun looked at the scene with a raised eyebrow while Luhan coolly drank his bubble tea.

“None of your concern!” Spat Sehun.

“Ouch maknae, that hurt.” Commented Baekhyun dryly, bringing a hand to his heart in mocked pain, before turning to Junmyeon “Is everything okay?”

“No, it’s not!”

The maknae turned towards Junmyeon and, for the first time, he saw docile momma Myeon looking angry as ever.

“Can I help?” Asked Baekhyun taking a sip from his bubble tea, while Luhan draped an arm over his shoulders, watching the scene amusedly.

“No, this is a thing that I have to deal with Sehun and Sehun alone but thank you for the offer.” Replied Junmyeon with a smile.

“This exactly what I am talking about. Do you realize how much you baby him? You baby him even when he and Jongdae hyung spend their nights on clubs!”

“Spend the night on clubs?” Parroted Luhan, both eyebrows rising comically.

“Yes, or you think I would be oblivious to his and Jongdae hyung’s escapades to go clubbing?”

The sentence earned him a deathly silence but, a few seconds later, Baekhyun was laughing hysterically. They all stared at him like he was a lunatic.

“That’s the best thing I've heard today!”

“Don’t worry Baekhyun, I’ll talk to him!” Whispered Junmyeon, thinking that the other was angry at Sehun’s clear lack of respect at him.

“Don’t worry Junmyeon hyung! There is absolutely no reason for you to say anything to the maknae!”

“But he was disrespectful…”

“No, he wasn’t. He was just being a brat who, as usual, thinks he knows everything when, in good reality, he doesn’t! So please, don’t bother yourself on my account!”

“I don’t know? I don’t know? I do the laundry! I know you always smell like alcohol when you come from one of your trips.” Interjected Sehun angrily. ”Instead of training and trying to get better, since your trainee period was so short and you clearly need to improve to be on point with us, you go around drinking and partying! You really ought to do more than you do. It’s bad enough that you lack the skills to even join us in the first place, let alone the fact that you’re not even trying! You’re the worst!”

“Are you done?” Asked Baekhyun in a bored tone, even though everybody could sense the sharpness and cold tint that was present in his tone of voice.

“No, I have much more to say to you…”

“That was rhetorical because, to put it frankly, I have absolute zero interest in what you have to say to me. You really, what was the word you used, ought to come down from your high horse from time to time because I don’t know what is up with the air up there but it is making you delusional. You clearly have no notion about the world around you and yet, here you are, talking about things you have no clue about,nor did you ever! So, please, do yourself a favor: shut up and stop making a brat out of yourself.”

Sehun was quite shocked. Normally Baekhyun wouldn’t respond to him in such way, however he must’ve pushed some buttons to annoy his hyung in such manner that the usually cool and relaxed Baekhyun his heel and left the room.

“Wow!” Whistled Luhan “You really know how to put your foot on your mouth don’t you?”

Sehun was about to reply to the other but Junmyeon didn’t let him. With an angry visage, the leader just yanked him out of the kitchen.

“Where are we going hyung?”

“You and me, we need to have a talk!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon took Sehun to an empty room upstairs and immediately turned to the younger.

“I am so disappointed in you that I don’t even have the words to express it.”

“What did I do?” Protested the maknae, pointing at himself.

“Don’t try and act innocent! You are fully aware of what I am saying. I really don’t know what is the matter with you and Baekhyun but you are being excessive: all the comments, all the little jabs and attitude. I don’t know what you have against Baekhyun but please stop with all this nonsense. You are accusing him of things that make no sense and you expect people to take your side? He might not show it but it hurts him to hear some of those things.”

“See? That’s exactly what I am talking about. You all defend him all the time, it’s like he can do no wrong and no matter who the right people are, they just can’t win against him because his word is the law! Why does nobody tells him to train harder? Why can he interrupt practices when he’s tired and we can’t? Why does he have a special treatment? That is what bothers me: the fact that he is privileged in this group. I thought that was supposed to be equality between us!”

“You really shouldn’t talk about things you don’t know. You assume too much and give people little opportunity to show you what they can be! There is a lot that is going on with Baekhyun…”

“Such as?” Asked Sehun equal parts angry and curious.

“Things that I will not tell you, since it is Baekhyun’s business. If you’re curious ask him!”

“Like hell! I won’t ask him!”

“Then you’ll never know, simple as that! But, really Sehunnie, stop with this. He doesn’t deserve half the things you throw his way and he deals with it graciously. Enough is enough!”

“I think you are too blinded by whatever charm he lays upon you!”

“You’re being immature!” Gritted Junmyeon, slowly loosing his patience with the younger.

“And you’re being blind, but I’ll prove to you that all of you are wrong and the biggest mistake that SM ever did was to put that midget into our group. He hasn’t done a single thing to reach to our level! He’s a pathetic excuse for a person and a poor excuse of an idol.”

Junmyeon face hardened and a furious glint appeared in his eyes.

“Have you ever thought that he didn’t train as much because he didn’t need too? SM saw something in him that was well worth and so do I and everybody else. And you know what else? Maybe it’s us that need to rise up to his level, not the opposite! Think about it!

With that Junmyeon left the room, leaving a shocked and boiling Sehun behind him. The maknae sat down on a bed and clenched his fists tightly.

“I am going to prove to you all. Just you wait!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was one of those nights, one where Baekhyun and Jongdae used to get out of the house at night and returned in the early morning. As soon as Baekhyun left the dorm, without Jongdae who, along with EXO-M had flown to China to participate on a TV show, Sehun immediately ran to the entrance, put on his shoes and a jacket and left the dorms after the older man. Chanyeol and Jongin had been his allies and they agreed to cover for him, even if he did lie about the situation, telling them he was meeting someone, something that Chanyeol had about.

He moved quietly through the masses of people in the street, despite the late hour, and always made sure to keep Baekhyun in his field of vision, which was difficult since that damned person was so short. He was slightly caught off guard when he bypassed a particular area known for its nightclubs and he was even more surprised when Baekhyun kept walking into a hospital building and got inside.

“What is heck is he doing at the hospital? Is he sick?”

Sehun was so confused. Hs hyung hadn’t been sick; if anything the little hobbit had been energetic and disgustingly cute these last few days. He actually felt a twinge of guilt: what if Baekhyun was really sick? He hadn’t been the kindest person lately…okay, he had been a little harsher than normal towards Baekhyun but, in his defense, he seemed fine!

The maknae followed his hyung through corridors and watched as Baekhyun greeted nurses and doctors left and right, until he reached a big room themed as a underwater world and got in. The squeals and shouts that were heard next made the younger male curious, so he approached a window and peered inside. There, in front of his own eyes, was his hyung being suffocated to death by at least a dozen of children, who clung to him tightly, obviously delighted. When Sehun looked closer, he could also see a large smile painted on Baekhyun’s lips.

“Oppa, are you going to tell us a story?” Asked a little girl with pigtails and a nasal cannula.

“Of course I am! I promised, didn’t I, Miyoung-ah?”

The little girl nodded enthusiastically and gave Baekhyun a hug and a little kiss on the cheek.

“Today is Seojun turn to pick the book.” Announced Baekhyun watching carefully as a little boy in a wheelchair picked a book from a low shelf and handed it to Baekhyun, who sat on the floor, making all the kids sit down too, near him.

A little girl, petite and skinny, no more than five years old, picked a plushie from the pile in a corner and unceremoniously sat on Baekhyun’s lap. Said male opened his arms to welcome her as she adjusted herself. The little girl didn’t have any hair and Sehun realized that the must have been getting treatment for cancer: his heart went immediately to the brave little girl who had been giving a harsh task to surpass at such young age.

“You’re going to help oppa read Chunja?” Asked the older male while the little girl nodded tiredly into his chest, her little mask covering half of her face.

“Seojun picked such a good story too. I am sure you have heard it before, the story of Heungboo and Nolbu! Shall we begin?” He asked receiving many nods and a few particularly loud ‘yes’ from the little ones. He smiled softly and then began to read the story: “Once upon a time...”

“He is amazing isn’t he?” Asked a voice beside him making him jump. An old aged woman was looking at him with wide eyes. “Oh, I am very sorry! I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“It’s alright.”

“Are you a friend of Baekhyun-shi? You’re in that band where he sings. Jongdae-shi told me but he isn’t here today.”

“More or less.” He told her, since calling Baekhyun a friend was too big of a lie.

“That is wonderful. You have such luck in working with such an amazing young man. You know, it is so good to see a man like him, dedicating so much time to our children. Many of the children you see around him spend a lot of time in the hospital. Every day is the same to them: waking up, doing some tests, a lot of them painful, resting and eating. They are so excited whenever Baekhyun-shi comes; it makes their routines a little bit different and they love it.”

“He comes here often?”

“He tries to come at least once a week, two if he can. And it’s really sad when he can’t come since the kids miss him a lot. He reads to them, sings and just goofs around. The kids love it. Lately, Baekhyun has come more often.” Confided him the lady, which he already knew, since he tried to follow him a few times, only to get caught by Junmyeon or Kris. “Chunja, who is the little girl sitting on his lap, is suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia and she is progressively getting weaker and weaker. The treatments seem to be doing nothing and Baekhyun-shi is really worried. He is greatly attached to her and her to him as you see! If anything happens, he will be devastated.”

Sehun turned his face to his hyung again. Something in his chest rattled and shook and he didn’t know what to call that feeling. Having this knowledge about his hyung made him see him in a different way: suddenly Baekhyun seemed a little more human than Sehun thought he was. Don’t get him wrong, he still abominated the midget but seeing him so docile, gentle, surrounded by young children and the fact that he could be a giving person made him rank a little higher in Sehun’s books.

“I have to go!” He muttered suddenly.

“So soon?” Asked the old lady “Aren’t you waiting for Baekhyun-shi? You can always go in there with him, he’s going to sing tonight.”

“I would like to, but unfortunately I have some errands to run: my hyung asked me to.” He lied smoothly with a smile.

“Run along then dear. You wouldn’t want to upset your hyung, do you?”

Sehun nodded in acquiescence and bowed to the lady before turning on his heel and marching away. It wasn’t until he got to the street that he ran. He ran and ran and ran until he got to the dorms, bypassing a wide eyed Kyungsoo and a livid Junmyeon; by the looks of it, he must have been caught if Jongin and Chanyeol’s guilty faces were any indication.

He went upstairs and locked himself inside his room, or at least the room he shared with Junmyeon, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, and sat on his bed.

This revelation he just had, the knowledge he had just obtained, had left him reeling: he wasn’t expecting that Baekhyun’s trips were for something other than drinking. Something with such a deep meaning.

It bothered him to know that the image that he had of his hyung had now been a little shattered, that he had been wrong on this one.

However, if anything, Sehun was obstinate and stubborn and he knew that Baekhyun must have something negative about him, some kind of dirty secret or an embarrassing moment that he could use to prove that everyone had been wrong about the midget while he had been right. No matter how giving Baekhyun could be, Sehun wasn’t relenting on his quest to throw the other from his high horse and show everyone the fraud that he actually was. Yes, he wasn’t going to stop!

“This time you proved me wrong but I’ll find something on you Byun Baekhyun, don’t you worry. I will end with your reign in a blink of an eye, just you watch.” He muttered maliciously too himself. 

 

 

 

A/N: Aaaaand here it is, second chapter is up! Did you like it? Is it interesting? Tell me everything! Comment, vote or subscribe if you enjoy the story!
A big hug to all of you and much, much love! Have an amazing day!