I Like You So Pardon My Jealousy

Beneath the Surface

Sehun liked Baekhyun; he was not denying it anymore and he wasn’t going to pretend it wasn’t true; he had come to terms with his own feelings and he was quite alright with that fact. It wasn’t an epiphany that he had, nor he had decided it suddenly, it had been a process that had been happening for the course of many weeks and months where he came to learn more about the other side of Baekhyun, the non-snarky one, the one were his hyung showed, at least to a restricted number of people, what he really was behind the smiles and jokes and, at times, really annoying attitude.

He got to see the little nuances of the other’s personality, what made his blood boil, what made him smile, what made his eyes lose his sparkle. It had been an interesting journey, to say the least, learning about Byun Baekhyun and Sehun sure as hell didn’t regret it.

Despite whatever he felt about the smaller male, Sehun knew how to take things slow, especially considering the fact that he was still in the process of knowing Baekhyun and the fact that he wasn’t quite sure how the other felt about him, also he was quite comfortable being friends with the petite male, for now at least.

It had been a really funny moment when he heard Baekhyun acknowledge him as his friend for the first time, with the help of Luhan. He had been in the kitchen, with Luhan, just talking, since the dorms were pretty quiet at the moment, since most of the members had left for their schedules, sans for him, Luhan, Jongin, Jongdae, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, although the last three had vocal practice. Sehun had been really worried about it since he knew how bad things were between Kyungsoo and Baekhyun; Kyungsoo had managed to swap roles with him, always finding a reason to throw a comment at Baekhyun. Jongdae’s relationship with Baekhyun wasn’t the best, especially because the younger kept on apologizing for his boyfriend’s behavior and yet, he did nothing about it. If Sehun was safe to assume, Baekhyun had enough of it and he was barely speaking to his friend, which he understood; for someone who pledge to always be by Baekhyun’s side, despite his boyfriend’s jealousy, Jongdae wasn’t really keeping his word.

“I just don’t like the fact that he has to go to practice with them. Every time it happens, he always locks himself in his room after.” complained the maknae.

“That’s because Baekhyun is fully aware that he can be a little short tempered at times and he actually needs to calm down before he punches Kyungsoo.” replied a calm Luhan, sipping on his coffee.

“Not that he doesn’t deserve it…”

“While I agree one hundred percent with you, Baekhyun knows better than to lose his temper over something like this. It would cause a lot of trouble and he doesn’t really want that kind of drama.”

“But he gets hurt…”

“And he deals with it just fine. Look Sehun, I understand that you don’t really like to see him pained, none of us does, although I am quite suspicious that Kyungsoo actually does, but he is an adult who knows fully well how to take care of himself. As much as it hurts him, he knows how to deal with it and how to get through those moments, which actually involves lot of cuddling, with you or Jongin, or Tao, or Minseok, or Kris… basically with everyone who is not those two douchebags, mainly you.”

“But…”

“Stop treating him like the porcelain doll that he clearly isn’t. Baekhyun is a strong person, stronger that you give him credit for, hence the reason why he beat someone up for you on Taemin’s birthday party. Liking him doesn’t mean that you have to treat him  differently, don’t try and clip his wings and diminish what he is just because you are head over heels over him.” interrupted Luhan gently.

“I’m not trying too. I just feel really protective of him for some reason.”

“You’re his friend… and I’ll leave out the part where you obviously like him.”

“Stop repeating that. I know that! I don’t really know if I can call myself his friend, I mean we never discussed it or anything.”

Luhan just looked at him, frustration lightening up his features.

“I don’t really know what to do with you. Are you kidding me?” he snorted before shouting Baekhyun’s name “BAEKHYUN!”

The other had been in the living room with Jongin and quickly appeared on the kitchen’s doorway.

“You screeched hyung?” asked the smaller cheekily, smiling up at them, before approaching Sehun and snatching up the yogurt the other was drinking, gulping it happily, ignoring the maknae’s glare.

“Do you consider Sehun your friend?”

Both Sehun and Baekhyun looked at their hyung as if he was crazy; Sehun, for a second, questioned his hyung mental health.

“I do…Why is this being questioned?” asked Baekhyun slowly looking at both of them suspiciously.

“Sehun was having an existential crisis.” replied Luhan ignoring Sehun’s hateful glare.

“Are you Sehun?” asked Baekhyun looking at the maknae worriedly.

“I was just saying to him that we are not in bad terms anymore and we never labeled our relationship. He’s just being a busybody.”

“Really hyung?” asked Baekhyun looking at a smirking Luhan. “Of course he’s my friend. Everyone knows that Sehunnie is my beau.” stated the smaller man, wrapping his arms around Sehun’s torso, in a back hug, squishing their cheeks together, while the taller let a small smile grace his lips.

“You two are so disgustingly cute.” commented Luhan, looking at them.

“We are, aren’t we? Shall we talk about your relationship?” asked Baekhyun mischievously, while looking pointedly at the older, that promptly choked on the coffee.

“What relationship? What are you hiding? What is he hiding?” asked Sehun turning to look at his smaller hyung.

Baekhyun just shook his head slightly, telling silently that he wouldn’t reveal Luhan’s secret. Sehun had pouted immensely but he didn’t push Baekhyun or Luhan, since the relaxed man was now blushing quite heavily, while cleaning up the mess he had made with the coffee. When he finished he left the room in a hurry.

“What was that all about?” asked Sehun pulling Baekhyun into his lap and resting his chin on the other’s shoulder, arms wrapped tightly around the other’s waist.

“Luhan is a little flustered about his new relationship. It’s actually funny to watch him, the cool manly man, being speechless about it.”

“He is in a relationship? Luhan? Of all people? Wow…his other half must be such a poor soul…” Baekhyun’s laughed at that “You really know who it is don’t you?”

“It’s a secret!” replied the older male playfully, smacking his lips against Sehun’s jaw before standing up and running out of the room.

And that had been the story on how Baekhyun had assured him that he saw him as a friend, and had spilled a secret about Luhan that he hadn’t discovered yet, despite his insistence on the subject. To him, hearing that admittance from the little hobbit had made his day better; they were friends, good friends at that, if he might add. When the pint sized male had any problem, he used to confide in Jongdae, but the other was not so available anymore, he avoided Baekhyun in order to keep Kyungsoo calm, so Baekhyun had turned to Kris or Minseok to advice since the older men indulged him a lot and didn’t mind listening to him. Lately, he would seek out Sehun the most, to the point where they could be called almost inseparable; if Baekhyun had a day off he would accompany Sehun to his schedules, if he could, and vice versa, they would go to the hospital together,  did everything together really, since the minute they woke up to the minute they would go to sleep, it was rare to see one without the other and it only helped that they were sharing a room now, although Jongin was the one who often slept cuddled to Baekhyun. The only thing that they didn’t do anymore was running in the morning and going to the gym, Sehun gladly left that job to Minseok, who actually liked sports, since he was just too lazy to do so.

Speaking of Jongin, Sehun didn’t really know what was going on with him but the male, for the last three days, had been extremely clingy towards Baekhyun; he, himself, spent a lot of time with the older but Jongin was a worthy competitor. Sehun, being Sehun had inquired Baekhyun about it, despite his own horrible mood, one late night when all of them had just came home, after an entire night spent recording a music video. Everyone else was either in bed of waiting to take a shower and Baekhyun was in front of the mirror, removing with a disgusted face the layers of makeup put upon his skin.

“What’s up with Jongin?” he asked casually from his place on his bed, eyes focused on Baekhyun’s reflection on the mirror.

“What do you mean?” asked the other pausing to look at him.

“He’s been kind of weird lately, he clings a lot to you and he looks, I don’t really know, a little bit sad maybe?”

“He’s dealing with some stuff now, as I told you before, he likes someone and, despite his tries, he is not doing any progresses. I actually told him to confess but Jongin wants to check if his affections are welcomed or not.”

“You did tell me that. That doesn’t explain why he’s been waddling after you.”

“I think he feels he can relate to me, in a way, therefore is only natural that he comes to me for guidance but hey, he is stubborn enough not to listen to my advice, so he comes to cuddle when things don’t go accordingly to his plans.”

“He feels he can relate to you? What does that mean? Do you like someone?” asked Sehun suspiciously eyeing the other male.

Baekhyun looked at him innocently before turning around to throw away the wipes he had been using to clean his makeup from his face.

“You are not answering me…”

“I’m choosing to ignore you!”

“So you do like someone!” stated Sehun and damn if the knowledge didn’t make his stomach churn up. The simple thought of having Baekhyun interested in someone, and let’s face it, someone that wasn’t him, bothered him a lot.

“I said that Jongin felt like he could.” interjected Baekhyun softly.

“You didn’t deny it, which tells me a lot more than you actually did.” commented Sehun, voice a little louder than he wanted while sitting up on his bed, facing the older male.

“I didn’t say anything!” exclaimed Baekhyun, a confused frown appearing on his face.

“Do you like Jongin? Is that why he could relate to you? Because he is attracted to someone who likes someone else?” accused Sehun.

“What are you talking about? Sehun, I don’t like Jongin, sure he’s my dongsaengie and I care about him but I don’t see him in that light. We’re just close.”

“Then why are you being all secretive? Sometimes I feel that no matter how far we have come into our own friendship you never tell me anything. It’s like you are giving me hints and talk about things but you never do really tell me anything.” yelled Sehun.

He panted after his short rant, looking at Baekhyun’s confused and somewhat hurt expression before Jongin came barging into the room.

“Baekhyun hyung the shower is free do you want to…” he paused when he noticed the tense air between them. “Did I interrupt something?”

“No, you didn’t.” snapped Sehun before leaving the room, making sure to slam the door on his way. He also made sure to ignore Baekhyun’s calls for him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun sat in the study room for a long time, he felt so guilty for snapping at his hyung like that, especially because he knew the other didn’t deserve it; he was just in a really bad mood, his body hurt after so many hours dancing and he was jealous over the fact that Baekhyun might be attracted to someone. He had overreacted and he was feeling bad about it. He heard the door open up and closing and registered someone sitting next to him. He sighed deeply before speaking up.

“What is it Jongin?”

“I just want to talk to you and you know why.” answered the other with a serious voice. “Baekhyun sort of told me what happened and let me tell you, you are an idiot. Did you seriously just made a jealousy scene? More so, you let hyung talking alone. He was so confused, he thinks he had an argument with you but doesn’t know what he said or did wrong.”

“He did nothing wrong! I am just in a really bad mood.” explained Sehun rubbing his forehead.

“Exactly! You just left him blaming himself, for something that he wasn’t to blame for.” pointed Jongin looking at the other. “Look, Baekhyun hyung didn’t directly tell me but I know that you have been discussing the fact that I have someone that I like and I also know he didn’t tell you who it was and I am really thankful for that because I’m not really ready to admit it to the person, much less to you guys. Hyung has been a good listener and a better adviser, even if I don’t do what he advises me because I am way too scared. Also, I thought you were smarter than this, really asking Baekhyun hyung who he is attracted to? Do you really think he’s going to tell YOU that?”

“Why not? I’m his friend!” asked Sehun, not managing to hide the angry twitch of his eyebrow.

“Cut the bull, you can’t be that dumb. But, just in case you really are as dumb as you look, let me confide a secret; do you remember when Kris hyung blackmailed Baek hyung into going to Taemin’s party?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“What Kris didn’t remember was that I was the one that opened them the dorm door so I heard hyung’s rant that evening. I distinctively remember him saying that a certain maknae was really attractive and that it was a shame that they didn’t get along.”

Sehun’s eyes widened at that piece of information and his eyes wandered over Jongin’s face trying to see if the other was lying to him.

“You’re not joking.” he stated after a while.

“I’m really not. I’m still not sure if I should tell you this, but what’s done it’s done. I think, from what I’ve heard and what he tells me, that he might’ve liked you even before you two started being friends and that is something that still may be true. So stop being just a jealous douche and go talk to him, because let me tell you he is really bummed out about your argument and, in my opinion, he shouldn’t had to feel like that in the first place, let alone now.”

“Why are you telling me this?” asked Sehun suspiciously.

“Because I am not honorable as Baekhyun hyung is to keep his secrets to myself, especially when he is being stupid about it. Also, I want to see him happy. He’s been through quite a few bumps lately, Kyungsoo, Jongdae, Chunja, that stupid prick at the club the other day. He deserves something good in his way, for a change, and what better than his own package of stupid?” replied Jongin, dodging out of Sehun’s way when the other swatted at him. “Now, go talk to him and clean up this whole mess and put a smile on his face again. I’m going to eat and then I’ll bother the hyungs a little bit before I’ll go to bed.”

With that Jongin left the room, not before kicking Sehun in the shins saying that he deserved it for leaving his favorite hyung sad.

For a while Sehun was incapable of standing up; could it really be? Could Baekhyun be interested in him as well? There was only one way of finding out he guessed, slowly standing up and leaving the room, in search of his favorite pint sized hyung.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun was already in bed when the door opened and closed silently and his bed dipped slightly with the weight of someone resting upon it. He assumed that it was Jongin, since the other had the habit of doing so, therefore he didn’t even questioned the other when thin arms wrapped themselves around his middle. He did, however, question the other, when he felt soft little kissed being peppered against his neck.

“What are you doing Jongin?”

“Not Jongin.” he heard and immediately stiffened in Sehun’s hold.

“Hey, no. Don’t do that, relax.” pleaded the younger when he felt the lithe body pressed to his chest tense.

Baekhyun inhale and exhaled a couple of times, demanding his body to just relax, which it did a few minutes after, earning a coo from the maknae.

“I’m sorry.” mumbled the shorter, refusing to look to the other.

“Do you even know what are you sorry for?”  

“I must have done something to piss you off, but I swear I didn’t mean to.”

“You don’t need to be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for, I am the one who should be apologizing. My mood is not the best today and I just lashed out at you because I am being jealous.” admitted Sehun, rubbing comforting circles into the skin above Baekhyun’s shorts.

The admission seemed to catch the curiosity of the smaller male who turned to look at him.

“Jealous of what?”

“Of the fact that you have been spending a lot of time with Jongin and that he knows some secrets of yours and you know some of his.”

“I explained it to you already Sehun, as much as I adore Jongin, he’s only my little brother, I have no feelings whatsoever for him. I’m just trying to help him with his situation. I don’t see why you are jealous over that!” commented the smaller.

“Believe it or not, I am having a great time learning things about you, knowing you. I like to be with you and having your attention and I got a little jealous over the fact that I didn’t have your undivided attention. It was silly, really.”

“Why didn’t you talk to me then?”

“Because I am a brat.”

“True enough.” muttered Baekhyun, squealing a little when Sehun pinched him on the side. “Still, that doesn’t sound like you.”

“What can I say? I really, really like my hyung and I like having him all to myself.” stated Sehun, looking into the other’s eyes, who diverted them, blushing a little and thanking the gods it was dark enough.

“I guess I have to give you a little more attention, don’t I?” asked Baekhyun, still not looking at him, voice wavering a bit.

“Of course, you are all mine.” declared Sehun, pulling his hyung’s body towards himself.

They both stood there for a while, completely in silent, hugging each other and he heard Baekhyun’s voice talking to him.

“So that means we’re good, doesn’t it?”

“We weren’t not good to begin with.” replied Sehun “I’m sorry that you thought otherwise.”

“Sehun…”

“We’re good Baek. We’re good.” said Sehun raising a hand to cradle the other’s cheek, rubbing his thumb along the smooth expanse of skin.

“What are you thinking about?” asked Baekhyun drowsily, after a few moment of fighting sleep.

Sehun pondered about Jongin’s words and what the other told him about Baekhyun’s feelings towards himself. So, he gathered all his courage and leaned a bit forward placing his lips against Baekhyun’s own lips, letting them linger there for a while before withdrawing them, receiving a small gasp from the other.

“I…Sehun…what…I. I think you missed your target.” said the other nervously.

“I didn’t.”

“But you just kis…”

“I know. I intended to do so.”

“Are you playing with me?”

“I can assure you that I am not. I like you too much to do such thing."

“But…”

“No more buts.” cut Sehun silencing the other with another soft kiss. “We’ll talk in the morning. For now sleep, I know you’re tired enough.”

“And you’ll still be here in the morning when I wake up?”

“I promise.”

Baekhyun looked at him, his mind, no doubt, still thinking Sehun was playing with him, however, he still snuggled into Sehun’s body and let himself fell into a deep slumber.

Sehun couldn't fall asleep so easily; he was absolutely fascinated by the person that he was holding in his arms. He had done it. He had, in his own way, confessed to his hyung about his feelings. More than nervous he felt giddy, with a bit of luck his hyung could be with him. Baekhyun could be with him. Baek, the wonderful person he grew to like, despite their rocky start. It was a nice thought. A very nice thought indeed.

 

 

A/N: I'M SORRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I'm so sorry for not being able to update sooner. Unfortunately for me, despite being on vacation, I'm still being called to work day in, day out, and when I am not working I am helping people with their work (I have been translating a thesis for a friend...let me tell you IT !). I am so, so very sorry! I hope that this update can compensate a little this delay and that you enjoy it and comment and vote and subscribe, yes? Let me know!
Again, I'm really sorry. A huge amount of love to you all and be happy!