I Hate You

Beneath the Surface

When Sehun was a trainee, he met the most amazing and the most awful people along the way. In fact, he could say he met all types of people in the practice rooms of SM building and there was yet a person with a personality that he couldn’t figure out. He could figure anyone out despite his young age.

He would enter the building and greet people right and left. He practiced until his feet hurt and his mouth was dry and dizziness blurred his vision but, in the end, all the hard work paid off when he was announced to debut with group called EXO. He actually was told at the same time that his future band members did so, naturally, he was overjoyed to see the faces of the trainees he liked the most beside him, like Kim Jongin or Lu Han.

Together, the ten of them, began to practice as a team, strengthening their bonds and improving their team work. He wasn’t too fond of the fact that they would be separated into two different subgroups, M and K, but since he figured out that everyone would be spending a lot of time together rather than not, so he let that one slip.

However, one day, one beautiful day, they brought another member in: Kim Jongdae, a boy with the most amazing vocal control that he had ever met, and he had met a lot of people, who could sing high notes like an angel, without any strain at all. To tell the truth, Sehun was really bothered by it, they all have spent so much time devoting themselves to their company and yet, here it was Kim Jongdae, blunt as they could be, honest to booth, with a sharp tongue and a fantastic sense of humor, to make everyone forget about their efforts with his amazing skills.

Sehun wasn’t really too fond of Jongdae. He could appreciate the other’s rather funny mannerisms and overall sunny disposition, but Jongdae made him uncomfortable. It mainly because the boy said whatever he was thinking of, not once minding the impact of his words, whether it was someone he knew or not. Still, Jongdae knew how to captivate someone with his witty charm and charismatic presence.

Then, when he finally thought there could be no more surprises, their manager threw them another curve ball, namely Byun Baekhyun. Sehun was completely aghast on how SM could bring someone as Baekhyun to their family, to their group. Byun Baekhyun was everything that Sehun spent years trying not to be: he was loud, he acted inappropriate at the worst of times, he had absolutely no brain to mouth filter and said everything that people weren’t keen to listen, he was lazy, made fun of everybody and had a really awful tendency of having a conversation using a sarcastic tone that Sehun didn’t appreciate. All in all, Baekhyun was a smartass whose purpose in life was to make everyone feel inferior to him, despite his short size.

Being the way they were, it was no surprise to Sehun when Baekhyun and Jongdae immediately clicked. They both had the same abrasive, larger than life personality, that could not be contained no matter how hard their manager or even the big boss tried. Sehun had even heard once that Jongdae and Baekhyun were separated into different subgroups because it would be impossible to deal with both of them if they were together. They were simply too wild to be sharing the same space, twenty four seven. However, Sehun wasn't really prepared to see Baekhyun slowly, but surely, get the trust of his fellow team mates and friends.

The first victim had been Chanyeol. The giant had simply been ecstatic to find someone as lively and fun as Baekhyun. Around them there was always noise, they were boisterous and loud and, quite frankly, childish as everything, at least in Sehun’s opinion. Once he had found them sliding down the stairs of their dorms using their mattresses as boards. He immediately had told Junmyeon hyung and while the other did reprimand both boys, he was clearly fighting a smile when Baekhyun and Chanyeol both pouted at him. Chanyeol had found a kindred soul in Baekhyun and both stuck to each other like glue.

Junmyeon liked Baekhyun, even though most of the times he wanted to strangle the other. Baekhyun was a problem magnet: he would always screw up something and then smile at someone to dodge the bullet, which he almost always did manage. Junmyeon scold him a lot, however, not a minute after, their leader would hug the heck out of the younger boy, squeezing him in his arms.

If you wanted to talk about whipped leaders and problematic boys than Sehun would gladly talk about Kris and Baekhyun. Those two, together, were horrible since Kris looked like a lovesick puppy and did whatever Baekhyun wanted: if the boy was thirsty he would bring water, if he was tired than he would pull Baekhyun’s head to his shoulder and let the other sleep, if he couldn’t sleep or was cranky, Kris would cuddle with him. It was disgusting. He was the maknae and even he wasn’t such an attention demanding person as Baekhyun, who should be ashamed of his behavior.

Tao was a straight up traitor. The male had bonded with Baekhyun over the fact that both of them shared the same astrological sign, Taurus, and since then the Chinese maknae seemed to follow Baekhyun blindly. Baekhyun would take him to clubs and buy him things, which was something that Tao loved. There wasn’t a single weekend where the duo wouldn’t come up at the dorms, way too early in the morning, after a night spent in some kind of sketchy club, or at least Sehun thought it was sketchy.

Kyungsoo had been a surprise; Sehun couldn’t fathom how someone like Kyungsoo could possibly like about Baekhyun, both of them were polar opposites: Kyungsoo was shy, quiet and reserved and Baekhyun was not. The maknae would grudgingly admit that Baekhyun did manage to break Kyungsoo from his shell but now Kyungsoo had developed the habit of saying something with the upmost brutal honesty, leaving them all flabbergasted at times, and hitting someone when he was unpleased with something. Sehun had the bruises to prove it. In the end, Kyungsoo, previously known as owl boy, became Satan Soo, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Pissed.

Yixing had been another surprise becuase who would’ve thought that placid Yixing could like his dongsaeng so much? The man couldn’t literally stop laughing and smiling whenever the other was around, whether Baekhyun had something said or done funny or not. Yixing would always let a little giggle fell from his lips before snorting and then laughing until his stomach hurt. Also, Yixing had confided in Luhan, who told them all in turn, that Yixing thought of Baekhyun as his muse, he had been the inspiration behind some of his work. It was annoying as hell had he had shook his head a little when Yixing told him that it was because Baekhyun was full of life. Sehun didn’t agree with Yixing but he wasn’t going to argue with his hyung, especially after seeing him so pumped up about his own work.

Minseok liked Baekhyun too. Minseok thought that his dongsaeng was very intelligent, charismatic and very eloquent and Sehun did acknowledge that the other had, in fact, a way with words. The eldest became more active around Baekhyun and the duo bickered with each other as many times as they could, in a jokingly manner. Minseok also became more talkative and they suddenly found a new side to their Baozi, one full of humorous replies, witty retorts and sarcastic jokes. They all appreciated this side from their oldest hyung but Sehun found out, after a clear analysis that that side would only leak out of Minseok’s well-constructed walls when he was with Baekhyun and he couldn’t seem to open up like that to anyone else, not even Luhan, who he was close with.

Luhan was another traitor and Sehun could punch him in the face for all he had done. The hyung who he had been so close to was now dismissing him to spend time with Baekhyun. He had actually confronted Luhan about it and the older boy had said that he could have mature conversations with Baekhyun that he couldn’t had with Sehun, which had Sehun kicking the floor in anger and growing a resentful attitude towards Baekhyun who always shrugged it off. The conversation with Luhan had implied that he was not as mature as Baekhyun and that he wasn’t good enough to be trusted with secrets or other things. That had upset him and even though Luhan said that he didn’t mean it like that, Sehun couldn’t stop thinking otherwise. However, he did have an immense pleasure knowing that Baekhyun was the immature one, not him, since he didn’t slide from stairs using a mattress!

Lastly, Jongin the hypocrite. The biggest one of them all actually. For someone who claimed to be very reserved and shy, that he didn’t mix well with people, that new people made him nervous, he hadn’t had a problem with Baekhyun. Jongin had taken Baekhyun with open arms, trailing like a duckling behind his hyung, much to the others amusement.

It would appear that everyone in his group adored Baekhyun, the midget, and Sehun couldn’t possibly fathom why! He couldn’t stand Baekhyun. Everybody and their pet poodles knew that. He knew that. Baekhyun knew that and every single member on EXO did too!

Funnily enough, they all talked to him several times, trying to know what was his problem with the midget, trying to convince him that he was the greatest gift of God on Earth but, no matter how hard they tried, they couldn’t pry a thing out of him. The truth was, even if Sehun refused to admit it, that he resented Baekhyun for managing to land in a few months what Sehun had taken years to do. He had dedicated four years of his life exhausting himself: practicing until he collapsed, dancing for hours, without stopping, to be the best he could be, all in order to debut and here it came Baekhyun who achieved all that with almost no effort. To Sehun, Baekhyun was undeserving of being in this band and he didn’t conceal that fact from the others.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Practice was something that came easily for Sehun, especially if by practice he meant dancing. While it was tiring, it ignited something inside him and it felt really good. The sweat trickling down his hairline, crossing the planes of his body, assured him that he was doing a good job.

He was all over the music, lading the moves of the choreo perfectly and sharply, with a mastered precision, when the music abruptly stopped. He turned around; Baekhyun was lying on the floor, sweat pouring out of his body, panting heavily while looking up. As usual Chanyeol was the first to materialize himself near the smaller male, followed by Junmyeon. They seemed to ask something to the figure sprawled on the floor but he dismissed them with a flick of his elegant wrist.

Jongin, who was in charge of the dance practice, took a look at the male and decided to end up practice for today.

“What do you mean is over? We practiced only for three hours!” exclaimed Sehun, indignity dripping from his words.

“And it’s more than enough. I wasn’t even going to extend dance practice since Baekhyun hyung has vocal practice in two hours or so.”

“So?”

“So?” repeated Jongin scandalized “Are you trying to make him pass out? It’s more than enough for now. Tomorrow we will be here again and we can extend that a little bit if you want.”

“No, just let it be. Princess over there would probably faint if you tell him that dance practice will be taking more time than usual and it’s like a rule that we can’t upset Baekhyun.”

“Huh?!”

Jongin was truly an innocent: while he knew that Sehun wasn’t on good terms with Baekhyun, since the younger didn’t exactly mute his complaints, he never really got the ironic jokes or hidden comments he made at Baekhyun.

“No need to worry about me, Oh Grand Sehun, I am quite positive that I can withstand a few more minutes dancing to appease you! Jongin, put the music back on. I just needed a moment.”

And there he went, that big mouthed jerk. Sehun gritted his teeth in annoyance, seeing as his petite hyung got back on his feet and joined them, grinning at him like the Cheshire cat. Jongin looked really unsure about it.

“Are you sure Baekhyun hyung? You have singing practice…”

“Don’t worry about it, Jongin. A couple more tries, we get this choreo polished to perfection and then I’ll go to my practice.” Commented Baekhyun with a sincere smile, grabbing one of Jongin’s hands and playing with the younger’s fingers, in order to make him smile.

“We’ll need more than a couple of tries to polish your dancing skills!” Remarked Sehun nastily. However Baekhyun remained impassive.

“Baekhyun hyung is not a bad dancer…” Cut Jongin, frowning at Sehun.

“Ohhh Jonginnie! You are the best! Hyung will treat you to some food after he’s done with his singing practice, okay?” Asked Baekhyun turning suddenly to Jongin and doing some aegyo, making the younger blush slightly.

“You’re trash!” Hissed Sehun in Baekhyun’s direction, in a whisper, so that the others couldn’t listen to him, as he bypassed him.

“Who is bad mouthing who?” Replied Baekhyun with a smirk before returning to his spot. “Play the music Jongin!”

Sehun watched as the older dance away, refusing to give into the temptation of tripping the male just to watch him make a fool of himself. The other was so infuriating that Sehun had the urges to just shove him into a suitcase and pack him to a foreign country, very, very far away. He actually heard that Iceland was beautiful this time of the year.

He had been glaring venomously at the tiny male, who was now goofing around with Jongdae and Chanyeol around the room, since Kris has asked for a little pause to go pick some water. Apparently the shorter males had been trying to glue tape Chanyeol’s ears and the big guy had been totally unsuspecting until Baekhyun pulled forcefully the glue tape and yanked a lot of Chanyeol’s hairs, earning himself a loud yelp in answer. Now both smaller males were running around the room, cackling loudly, while Chanyeol mocked chase them.

Jongdae, smartly, hid himself behind Kyungsoo and Chanyeol had simply backtracked when the wide eyed male shot him a glare, daring him to come closer: everybody knew that Jongdae was really good friends with Kyungsoo and the younger actually dotted on the little troll a lot. Baekhyun had tried to seek refuge with Luhan and Minseok but both the older boys, smirking at each other, stepped away from him leaving him very exposed to a big Chanyeol, who barreled into Baekhyun and sent him to the floor, making the smaller’s head hit the floor quite painfully, much to the taller’s horror.

In less than a second, Minseok, Luhan, and Junmyeon approached the smaller male asking him if he was okay. The petite boy stood up with a smile and shrugged them all off, saying that he was okay. He stuck his tongue out at a panicked Chanyeol before wandering around and latching himself at Kris as soon as the tallest man set foot on the practice room again. The giant simply wrapped his arms around Baekhyun, not really understanding what was going on, and led the smaller to the couch in order to have a little cuddle session that left Baekhyun grinning like the cat that got the cream.

The gesture irked Sehun. Had it been him, not that he latched to others like a leech, and he would be dismissed as being clingy, but since it was Baekhyun nobody would say a thing. Baekhyun had everyone clearly wrapped around his little finger.

“You really don’t like him, do you?” Asked Tao, who now stood beside him, a bottle of water dangling from his hand.

“I hate him!” Snarled Sehun, to which Tao simply raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t understand why since he is a really good person.” Reasoned the boy.

“He is nothing but a bum. He’s a freaking leech that caught a ride on our hard work and is now enjoying said ride without having done a thing.”

“You judge too hard without knowing them. That was really harsh.”

“And you’re too innocent.”

Tao looked at Sehun and shrugged muttering something that, to Sehun, resembled ‘your loss’ before joining Luhan and Minseok in their conversation.

Sehun stared at the back of his best friend's head as he glided away from him. He didn’t understand how nobody realized the true colors of Byun Baekhyun, that conniving and manipulative bastard, but he would unveil all his secrets and would expose the fraud that was Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was late night and everyone was sleeping soundly, resting from a day filled with photoshoots, interviews and many hours of practices but, for some reason, when Sehun woke up some minutes ago, mainly because Junmyeon’s cellphone had beeped twice, he found impossible to fall asleep again. He did try to change his position a couple of times, however it only had made him feel very hot, so he decided his best option would be getting up and cool himself down with a fresh glass of water.

He got out of the bed and padded to the kitchen. When he got there he realized that there were people in the kitchen since the light was on and he could hear them whispering. He peaked a little inside the room, noticing Kyungsoo and Baekhyun standing there: Baekhyun sitting on a chair while Kyungsoo inspected something in the other’s head.

“You’ve got a really nasty bump.”

“I know Kyungsoo. You already said that about five times.”

“You should have said something when you hit your head, maybe if we had iced it at the time it would be so big or hurt as much as it does now.” Chided Kyungsoo, picking up a bag filled with ice cubes and resting gently against Baekhyun’s scalp, making the older boy hiss slightly.

“You’ve said that too…”

“Serves you well. Sou should listen to me more often!”

Baekhyun let out a small sigh resting the bag on top of the table.

“You know that it would have made Chanyeol feel guilty. His heart is as sensitive as he is tall. He would panic and everyone would be panicking too because Chanyeol has that effect of people.”

“So? At least now you wouldn’t have a headache and I wouldn’t have to worry if you’re dropping dead in the middle of the night because you might have a concussion.”

From his spot at the entrance, Sehun could see Baekhyun shrug a little with a small smile playing on his lips. Kyungsoo was looking at the other male in exasperation. Sehun could relate: Baekhyun had a knack for exasperating people.

“What am I going to do with you?” Asked Kyungsoo with hands on his hips.

“Love me and treasure me forever.” Joked Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo finally let a low chuckle past through his lips and let his arms fall beside his body in defeat, enveloping Baekhyun in a hug, while the other laid his head on the standing male’s stomach.

“You really need to know when to stop…” Muttered Kyungsoo.

Sehun didn’t listen anymore to whatever Kyungsoo might have said, burning jealousy threatening to rip him apart from the inside. Kyungsoo was never gentle nor he was affectionate with many people and yet, with Baekhyun, he was more than fine to do so. Sehun was jealous, he couldn’t deny that.

He returned to his bedroom and lay on the bed angrily, making Junmyeon, his roommate, startle a little in his sleep, and covered himself up to the neck, thirst forgotten.

“Just you wait Byun! Just you wait!” He whispered to himself, mind plotting all kinds of plans to destroy the midget with the name Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Aaaand yeah! I am a crazy bat and I've decided to post another story as soon as I finished writing the other. Truth to be told, this story already has a couple of chapters written! (*gasp*). I hope you enjoy this story! I hope you stay with me until its end and that you'll comment, subscribe and vote it up. Most importantly, I hope you have great time reading it!
Love you all and have a brilliant day! ^^