PROLOGUE

STARLIGHT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The music played in his mind. The bass beat steadily at the back of his head. The piano ascended gracefully. The saxophones hummed softly in the background. The strings composed a heart-melting melody. Altogether, they made the perfect harmony. His mind was the stage. His heart was the audience.

            Jongin closed his eyes and listened. The musical instruments played without people controlling it. They were free. Free to move as they please, free to make whatever music they wished. And Jongin felt the freedom as he swayed along with the music, dancing to his heart’s content. His fingers danced rhythmically as they drummed against the bed sheets, one finger touching after another.

            A smile gradually made its way to Jongin’s face as he nodded along to the music. His bared feet moved in the air and then descended back on the ground again, moving his body swiftly around. He twirled and spun until his head can’t take it anymore. He stood still and caught his breath as he inhaled and exhaled slowly and steadily.

            The smile soon faded as Jongin opened his eyes. There was no music. He wasn’t dancing. He couldn’t even stand. He looked in front of him. Both of his legs were wrapped in casts and hung on strings that were attached to a machine over his head. Jongin closed his fists around the bed sheets, crumpling it. Looking at his legs made his heard sink. They were what he had relied on the most in his entire life, and now they were suddenly useless to him. He closed his eyes again. He couldn’t bear to lay eyes on them for another moment.

            “Here, have some water.”

            Jongin opened his eyes to the soft gentle voice and faced his best friend. The corner of his mouth curved up a little, only by a little as he extended his hand towards him.

            “Thank you, Kyungsoo,” he said as he brought the glass to his lips. He gulped down a few mouthfuls of water and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

            “Thanks,” he handed the glass back to Kyungsoo, “I feel much better now.”

            Kyungsoo placed the glass on the nearby table and turned back to Jongin. He patted Jongin softly by the shoulder. He tried his best to put on a smile. His large concerned eyes were focused on Jongin.

            “You sure you’re going to be alright?”

            “Yeah,” Jongin scoffed softly and shrugged his shoulders, “Why not?”

            Kyungsoo pursed his lips. “Then, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            “Okay,” Jongin replied in a low voice and half-heartedly waved Kyungsoo goodbye.

            Kyungsoo sighed heavily once he got to the other side of the door. He noticed Chanyeol sitting on the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter