FOURTEEN

STARLIGHT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Maybe he really  was busy,” Jongdae said, taking his eyes off the newspaper to look at Jongin for only a moment before going back to it again. Jongin paved the kitchen back and forth for almost the whole morning during breakfast as he told Jongdae how he had never seen Kyungsoo around anymore.

            “No, I know something’s wrong, really wrong,” Jongin stopped and slammed the table so hard the drinks in the glasses shook, “I can feel it!”

            “Stop this nonsense,” Jongdae said crossly, “What could have happened to him?”        

            “I don’t know,” Jongin shook his head and looked out of the window, “Hopefully not something bad.”

            He hadn’t touched his breakfast ever since he woke up that morning. Jongdae told him again and again to eat but he refused. His mind was too troubled to sit down and enjoy a meal even though it was his favorite food. It has been almost a week since Jongin had last met up with Kyungsoo. Every night, Jongin would still walk to the park and waited under the moonlight. But every time, Kyungsoo disappointed him.

            But Jongin had enough. He grabbed Jongdae’s phone and punched in Kyungsoo’s number. As always, he did not pick up his phone. Frustrated, Jongin held the phone up high and would have thrown it against the wall if Jongdae hadn’t stopped him.

            “You’ve got to stop that bad habit of yours!” Jongdae yelled and hastily grabbed back his cellphone. Jongin mumbled a short sorry and went up his room.

            “Where do you think you’re going?”

            “To get something done!” Jongin yelled from the stairs.

            He changed his pajamas, grabbed a jacket and went off to Kyungsoo’s house. The path felt unfamiliar to him. He hadn’t been to Kyungsoo’s place for ages. The weather was sunny and a soft breeze was blowing. But the trees on either side of the road had branches that seemed to lurk at Jongin. Jongin tried to ignore them and went on his way. Suddenly, something wet touched Jongin’s legs. Jongin looked down and nearly yelped.

            “Monggu! Why- How are you here?” Jongin stared at his pet dog in surprise. With only Kyungsoo in his mind, Jongin had not notice that Monggu had followed him out all the way there. Up ahead, a simple house stood in the middle of a garden, surrounded by tall bushes.

            “There it is,” Jongin pointed at the house, “Come on, boy.”

            Monggu barked and wagged its tail happily as it followed after Jongin. Standing in front of Kyungsoo’s house, Jongin suddenly felt at a loss. He didn’t know what he should do anymore. Hesitantly, he took slow and small steps towards the front door. He pressed the doorbell once. When there wasn’t an answer, Jongin started to knock on the door several times. When Kyungsoo still didn’t answer the door, patience turned to anxiousness. Jongin began banging on the door so hard that Monggu lowered its tail in between its hind legs and hid behind a bush. Suddenly, the door swung open.

            “I heard you for the first time.”

            Jongin looked at the man behind the door. His voice wasn’t angry or loud. His head was lowered. His face was so pale as if he hadn’t been under the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter