TEN

STARLIGHT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of the creaking of wheels will forever stay in his memories. They had become a part of his life because whenever he moves, they moved along with him. Every night, kneeling in front of the bed, he would pray for the day he would be apart from them. He wanted to walk, to run, to crawl. And most of all, he wanted to dance again. He wanted to feel the ground underneath his bare feet again. That was all he dreamt of. That was all he ever wanted.

“Jongin…Earth to Jongin.”

“Huh? What?” Jongin snapped back into the real world.

“That’s the 5th time I’ve been calling you now,” Chanyeol said.

“Oh sorry, my mind was…” Jongin apologized.

“Yeah, I know,” Chanyeol heaved as he pushed the wheelchair up the hill. The wheels creaked even louder. Jongin shut his eyes tight. The thought of getting away from them crossed his mind once more. They were the nightmare of his life. But he knew that dream might never come true.

It had become like a daily routine as Chanyeol and Jongin would meet up every day to help Jongin practice walking. Chanyeol wanted to help and Jongin let him. They have been meeting every day ever since Jongin forgave him. It has been quite some time since Jongin had met up with Kyungsoo. And Jongin missed him dearly too.

“You wanna try?” Chanyeol asked. He parked the wheelchair beside the rails and offered Jongin his hand. Although Jongin didn’t feel like moving, he nodded anyway. His knuckles turned white as he held the handles of the wheelchair so tight that the blood drained from his hands. He struggled hard as he forced his legs to take on his body weight. He lifted his body off the wheelchair and tried to stand up on his feet. But as soon as his hands left the handles, he fell forward into Chanyeol’s arms.

“Be careful,” Chanyeol warned as he held Jongin in his strong arms. Jongin’s weak body weighed almost nothing to Chanyeol. He had no more strength to say anything but to nod. He felt his eyes wet with tears. Chanyeol helped him back into the wheelchair. Jongin staggered a little as he sat back down on the wheelchair.  Jongin’s mind drifted off again as he thought about those days when he could dance freely around whenever and wherever. Those joyous times before that accident happened.

Ever since, Chanyeol had always been there for him. Jongin was grateful for that, but somehow he felt more vulnerable when Chanyeol was always there to take care of him. He didn’t want anyone’s help, even Kyungsoo’s. But he knew he needed it. Eventually, they reached Jongin’s house. Jongin told him to leave him right outside the door.

“You sure you’re okay?” Chanyeol asked in concern.

“Sure, why not?” Jongin replied as he rolled on the wheels with his hands. Chanyeol knew Jongin is an independent guy but he couldn’t help but worry about him.

“Shouldn’t you be preparing stuffs for your wedding?” Jongin suddenly asked Chanyeol, “Instead of taking care of me all the time?”

“It’s okay,” Chanyeol answered, “I can take care of both.”

“I think you should give your wife-to-be more attention,” Jongin said, looking up at him smiling, “Since you guys are getting married soon. Shouldn’t you guys spend more time together rather than staying apart?”

Chanyeol didn’t reply. In fact, he didn’t know what to say. Then, he shrugged and said, “She’s only to going to choose a wedding d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter