Chapter 24

Army of Two

"So, what are you going to study?" TaeHyung asks me, laying his head down on my lap as we sit down on the grass at the park. It's been about a week since we got back together, and I'm so glad we're still the same with each other.

"Didn't I tell you that I wanted to do teaching?" I say, looking down at him.

"You did? I don't remember even asking you." he says. I flick his forehead and he starts chuckling. "But that's cool. Teaching what?"

"English." I say. He raises an eyebrow.

"Since when can you speak English?" he asks.

"Well, I mean you can take English classes right? Have it help you learn enough English to teach, right? And if not then, I'll be a Physics teacher." I tell him. He starts laughing.

"I thought you'd never want to hear physics after all the things that happened in that class for you." he says. I sigh and shrug to myself.

"I really did like that subject though." I say. He nods his head.

"MinKyu's girlfriend is pretty." I tell him.

"I mean I guess." he says.

"What? She is pretty. I don't mind if you think she is."

"Yeah, but she's not you. That's the thing." he says. I roll my eyes and push him off my lap. He starts to laugh.

"You know, JiHye is going to try and study overseas, in America." I say.

"Really? Can she speak English?" he asks.

"She said that she was going to take English classes in college, and then when she knows enough, possibly study abroad." I answer. "How about you? College?"

He sits up and sighs. He shakes his head.

"No. I mean I have good enough grades to get into one but I'm focusing on my job for my sister." he answers. I nod. I understand.

"Will you go into one though? If you can?" I ask.

"Yeah. Of course. Maybe next year." he says. I smile and he scoots closer to me, putting his arms around me.

"I'm so glad you came back." he says, kissing my cheek. I chuckled and nod my head.

I hear a phone ring and TaeHyung takes his phone out. He looks at it, and then answers it.

"Hey MinkYu." he says. "When? Today? I can't today. I'm with JaeEun. Tomorrow then okay? Alright, bye."

"What did he want?" I ask as he puts his phone back into his pocket.

"He said he wanted to talk to me about something. I don't know."

***

About an hour later, we both decided it was time to go home. We both stand up but we hear someone scream  both our names from a distance.

"JaeEun! TaeHyung!"

We both turn towards the voice and see MinKyu's girlfriend waving at us. She walks to us and flashes both of us a smile.

"SoYou. Hey." TaeHyung says. She focuses her attention on him.

"I need to talk to you." she says. TaeHyung looks puzzled. I'm guessing it's because why do they both need to talk to him? She nods her head, telling him to follow her, and she walks a bit away. TaeHyung looks at me and then follows her. I sit back on the grass and wait for them to finish talking.

After a few minutes, he comes back and heavily plops himself down next to me. I jump, a bit startled.

"What did she want?" I asked him. He stared at the ground and started pulling at the grass beneath us.

"She kissed me." he says. My eyes widen as I stay staring at him. He sighs and looks up at me.

"She what?"

"She kissed me. I was too stunned to pull back, but I didn't kiss back. For s sake." he says under his breath. "Is this what MinKyu wanted to talk to me about?"

I didn't know what to say. I mean, I am totally glad that he told me about it besides keeping it hidden. But, I don't know what to say.

"I told her I was dating you. MinKyu and I became friends again and it'll probably be ruined because of a girl." he continues. He moves his hair behind his ears, and he smiles a little.

"Well, thank you for telling me." I tell him.

"Why would I hide it from you? If I were gonna hide it, it'd be because I kissed back and liked it. There's no reason for me to hide this." he says. I stand up and he looks at me.

"Come on. Let's go now." I say, starting to walk. He stands up and grabs my shoulder, turning me to face him.

"You're not made at me, are you?" he asks. I smile a little and shake my head.

"No. It just makes me think that other girls can do this to you." I say. "No talking to other girls alone unless I'm there."

He starts to laugh. He holds my hand and he goes to drop me home to ChaeMin's house.

***

"So wait, they kissed?" ChaeMin asks as we're eating snacks in the living room.

"Yeah. He said she kissed him first." I tell her. "And it's weird because she wanted to talk to him and MinKyu wanted to talk to him. He thinks that MinKyu knows about SoYou's liking for him."

"Are you mad that they kissed?" she asks me. I shrug.

"I mean, he said he didn't pull away because he was in shock. But I'm not really mad because he told me about it. He said there was no reason to keep that hidden because he didn't feel anything."

"Hm." she goes. We stay in silent for a few minutes, the only sound that you could hear was the crunches from our chewing.

"Remember a like two days ago, when you told me that you were going to get a job to help TaeHyung with a place to live?" she asks. "Are you going to live with him?"

I look at her.

"Live with him?"

"Yeah. I mean you are going to be paying for the apartment as well right? And you two are dating so might as well. You wouldn't need to pay for a dorm." she goes.

"Yeah, but I don't know if he'd want me to live with him. He's probably going to have his sister live with him anyways. I mean that's why he wants an apartment, for her."

"But you never know. Now that you two are back together, he'll probably like the idea of you living with him. You even told me that you two said your I love you's already." she says. I chuckle and continue eating.

"JaeEun, can I ask you something?" she continues. "And I'm sorry if it kind of brings your mood down."

"Uhm, yeah. Go ahead."

"Are you afraid?" she asks.

"Of?"

"Of being closer with TaeHyung? I mean, like, is there another reason why you don't want to live with him?" she continues.

"Where are you going with this?"

"I mean. Your father and all, and what he did to you and your mother. Are you afraid that TaeHyung can become something like that?" she finishes. I swallow.

"No. I mean if it was another guy I probably would be but, not TaeHyung. I know he wouldn't. I mean, he saved me from my dad and his mom kinda abused him in a way as well." I tell her. She nods her head and gets up, going to the kitchen.

I sigh and continue eating my chips. Living with TaeHyung? Would he let me?