Chapter 17

Army of Two

School was over and TaeHyung grabbed me straight from class and started dragging me. I don't know where. He didn't tell me anything. He just grabbed me and pulled me out.

"TaeHyung, where are we going?" I ask, but he doesn't answer me. He stops walking and pulls me close to him. He looks around, and then keeps walking.

"TaeHyung?"

He stops in an isolated area. It's near some shops; it's in the alley. I look at him and he's just staring at the ground. His breathing became heavier. I can't hear it, but I can see his chest moving up and down more clearly.

I release my hand from his grip and hold his shoulder. He finally looks at me.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"So, I met the couple yesterday." he starts, and looks away. "And they're nice people. They seem very nice and they take care of two other kids, younger than SooHyung. I was glad that they were going to take care of her. I asked where they lived, and they said near the foster place. But then..."

"But then?" I ask. He sighs.

"They're moving."

"Where?"

"CheongJu." he says, and looks back at me. I stare blankly at him.

"I didn't know where that was, but I searched it up on my phone and it's about 2 hours away from here. I just looked at them and I could tell they were worried that I'll try and do whatever it takes to stop them. I told them it's okay. And they promised me that they'll make time for her to see me."

He looked down at the floor and I looked out the alley, seeing people walk by.

"When is she leaving?" I asked.

"They said that they were going to leave in about a month. I don't know what to do JaeEun. I don't want her to go but I don't want her to stay in a foster care." he says. I see a tear stream down his cheek.

It's funny. At first, I thought my life was so bad. Even right now, I though my life was so bad. Compared to TaeHyung's, it isn't. I wanted to loose my dad. He doesn't want to loose his sister. He just lost his mom as well, but I don't really think he wanted to loose her in that way. He doesn't even know where she is. I know my mom's at home, and my dad's in jail. His dad is not that near.

To me, he was my answered prayer. He saved me from my father, even though the school bullies me about it. But don't mind the school. He saved me and my mother from being hurt. But look what I did to him. His mother is gone without him knowing where, and his sister might be taken at least 2 hours from here. He has no parents to take care of him and he's 18 years old. Look at what I've done to him. He's helped me but I kind of ruined his life.

"I'm...I'm sorry TaeHyung." I say. That was all I could say. I walk up to him and give him a hug. He hugs me back tightly. I sigh.

"I did this." I say. He pulls back and looks at me. Then he flicks me on the forehead.

"Ow!" I say, rubbing it.

"Don't say that! You didn't do any of this. This would happen if you didn't do anything anyways." he tells me. "Life is doing this. Life is ."

"But, if I never said those things to you, you wouldn't have blurted it out loud in school." I tell him. He sighs and shakes his head.

"This isn't because of you, okay? Stop thinking that."

I nod my head.

***

My mom keeps telling me that there's no way that we can find a house cheap enough around here. We're going to move Busan and I can't do anything about it. The next month is coming and I have nothing.

I go to my room and shut the door. I lock it and sit on my bed. The only thing going through my head is that, I'm leaving TaeHyung. Oh my gosh. SooHyung and I are leaving in a month. No. He will not be able to deal with that. He won't be able to handle his sister leaving 2 hours away and then me leaving a decade away. I don't think I can even face him when he has to face that.

I know exactly what to do. I know what will make it easier for him.

***

I skipped Physics class to look for TaeHyung. I walk around the quad and can't find him. I go to the back of the school and he wasn't there. I went to the front and he wasn't there. I hope he didn't leave yet. I keep looking around and I was going to give up, until I hear him.

"JaeEun?" he says. I turn around and see him heading towards a bench.

I slowly walk up to him, my back slouching. He gives me a weird look.

"What's wrong?" he asks.

"We need to talk."

He continues staring at me, confused. He has no idea what I'm going to do. I know it's going to hurt him more than it's already hurting me, but I have to do this. I can't hurt him more in a month. I know I can't do anything about what's going on, so this is what I have to do.

"What is it?"

I sit down on the bench and he sits down next to me. Tears form in my eyes and I can't even look at him. I can't do it, but I have to. I sniff.

"Babe, what's wrong?" he asks, about to put his hand on my shoulder. I shrug it off and shake my head.

"I know you're going through a tough time right now, and I know that what I'm about to do will seem like the most selfish or unreasonable thing to do, but we shouldn't see each other anymore." I still don't look at him.

"What?"

"We can't see each other anymore. TaeHyung, this hurts me too. But you'll understand why soon. We just can't be together anymore." I tell him.

I get up and walk away. Tears are falling from my eyes and I don't want to turn around. I can't bear to see how he is right now. I don't think I will be able to handle coming to school, if I will see him more. But this is for him. I can't hurt him anymore than I already have. And also by leaving in a month. Better to leave him now. I'm sorry TaeHyung.