Chapter 22

Army of Two

I smile very wide when I finally landed in Seoul. It wasn't a long flight, but it felt like it took forever to get here. I get out the plane and go as fast as I can to get out with my luggages.

When I got on the train and arrived at Seoul Station, ChaeMin and JiHye were standing there waiting for me. They both came running towards me and gave me the biggest hug. I accidentally drop my suitcases.

"Oh my gosh! It's been two months, too long!" JiHye shouts, releasing the hug. I look at both of them and just keep smiling. I was so happy to see them again.

"Come on! Come on! We'll help you!" ChaeMin says, grabbing my luggages and dragging them away. "I got a car so come on!"

I chuckle and both JiHye and I go after her.

"ChaeMin-ah! Wait! We're forgetting something!" JiHye says, grabbing my wrist to stop me from walking. I look at her and then at ChaeMin. ChaeMin stops walking and comes back to us.

"I totally forgot, I just got so excited about her being back." ChaeMin says.

"Forget what?" I ask them. Both of them smile and look towards one direction. I look over as well but don't see anything. I hear JiHye scoff.

"Aish, this boy doesn't even see us." she says. "Yah! TaeHyung! Come here!"

I look over again. TaeHyung? I see some guy stand up and to my surprise, it was TaeHyung. He walks towards us and I just couldn't help myself but smile really big. I look over at ChaeMin and JiHye, but they already took off with my bags outside of the station. Those two I swear.

I look back at TaeHyung and he's already standing in front of me. For some reason, I bowed down a little to him and said hello. He chuckles and pushes my forehead with the palm of his hand.

"Hey. It's just me. No need to be formal." he says, pulling me in for a hug. "We better get going. Your friends are probably waiting outside."

We pull away and I nod. He smiles and starts walking out the station. I follow after him.

***

We went to the mall, after I left my bags at ChaeMin's place. All 4 of us, back at the mall where I first met TaeHyung. Both ChaeMin and JiHye would make TaeHyung and I stand next to each other, and at the moment they pretended to use to bathroom to leave us alone, but nothing between TaeHyung and I really happened. It just became super awkward. So, I thought of starting a conversation.

"So what happened in school when I left?" I asked him. He looks at me and starts chuckling.

"MinKyu has a girlfriend now." he tells me. "Oh yeah. Him and I are friends again. We made up."

I nod and smile a little.

"How about you in your school?" he asks.

"You're not going to believe this but I was actually cool?" I say. He raises an eyebrow. "I had more friends there than I did here."

"Really?" he asks. "Then why come back if you had a better life there?"

"I mean, I guess school life was better there. But life life, like in the future, I don't think it would've been so great there. I did whatever it took to come back here, and I'm finally here." I say.

TaeHyung smiles and then shakes his head.

"Is that why you signed up for Seoul University?" he asks. I chuckle and nod my head.

"That was the only university I signed up for and it was the only one I really wanted to go to. I really wanted to come back. I missed you guys so much." I say.  I see him smile.

"Any guys over there?" he asks. I look at him and laugh a little.

"I mean there was this guy who had a huge crush on me. He asked me out but I said no." I answered.

"Why?" TaeHyung says, chuckling a little.

"I didn't like him." I say. I look up at TaeHyung and saw that he was totally relaxed with this conversation.

"What about you? Girls?" I asked, trying to be as calm as he was. He shook his head and leaned his back against the wall. He didn't say anything, just shook his head. I nodded.

"Okay you two. Let's go." JiHye says, walking out the bathroom with ChaeMin. Both TaeHyung and I follow after them to the food court.

We sit down and again, ChaeMin and JiHye had to be the chosen two to go and order our food. They left TaeHyung and I alone at the tables, sitting next to each other.

I was just tapping my fingers on the table. TaeHyung was leaning back on the seat. I look over at him.

"Really?" I say. "No girls? Not even one ever since I left? I mean were the popular guy, weren't there tons of girls?"

He looks at me and chuckles a little. He squishes my cheek.

"Ah, JaeEun. You're still the same." he says. My lips twitch, pretending to be annoyed.

"It was only two months." I say. He lets go of my cheek.

"Just because girls wanted me doesn't mean I wanted them." he says. "Like you. Someone asked you out but you said no. That's what I did."

"But why?" I say. He looks at me and scoffs a little, like why did I say that kind of scoff.

"Because I didn't like them." he answered. I nodded my head and looked forward. I turned my head to look for ChaeMin and JiHye; they were still in line.

I sigh and lean my head back onto the back of my seat, looking up at the ceiling. It scares me how he's acting so normal with the "did you like someone or date someone" conversation. It makes me think that he kind of lost his feelings and doesn't really seem to mind if I dated or liked someone else besides him. I'm kind of happy he didn't date anyone else, but I feel like he doesn't see me that way anymore. It's only been two months. Gosh...

Minutes later, ChaeMin and JiHye came back with a tray full of food. I sat up straight and looked at it. It looked really delicious. I looked up, seeing JiHye and TaeHyung making some weird eye contact, ChaeMin watching them. JiHye looks at me.

"Did you know TaeHyung had a girlfriend?" she tells me. My eyes widen and I looked at TaeHyung. His head smacked onto the table.

"I never had a girlfriend. I don't know what she's saying." he says, his forehead against the table. ChaeMin starts cracking up and JiHye chuckles to herself.

"I'm just kidding." she says. Geez thanks. Way to make things more awkward JiHye.

***

"Where are you staying JaeEun?" ChaeMin asks me. JiHye already got picked up and TaeHyung is still here.

"I was thinking of asking you to take me to a hotel, stay there until it's time for me to move into my dorms." I say.

"You have money for a hotel?" TaeHyung asks me. I shrugged.

"Just stay in my home." ChaeMin says. I shook my head. She doesn't live with her parents anymore. She got out and started living on her own, in a small apartment. It was pretty nice when I dropped my luggages off.

"No. I couldn't. I don't even have a job to help you pay if I lived with you." I say. She shakes her head.

"No. It's fine. I mean you can find one right? And anyways, you're dorming soon. My apartment will just be temporary for you." she says, smiling. I smile a little and then nod my head.

"I have to go." I hear TaeHyung groan. "Still in foster care. We have a time to be back home now."

"I thought you had a job. Why don't you move out?" I ask him.

"I'm saving as much money from my paycheck for an apartment. I have enough but I mean, I'm going to wait for probably 3 more paychecks." he says. I nod and he smiles.

"Well, see you." I say. He nods and we both stare at each other for a while.

"See you guys." he says, smiling at us both. He looks at me and gives me a bigger smile, and then walks away.

I hear ChaeMin silently scoff to herself. I look over at her and she shakes her head.

"What?" I said.

"If you knew you'd understand." she says. "Come on. Let's go home."