Chapter 23

Army of Two

"You better wake up or I'm pouring water on you." I hear someone say. I open my eyes and my vision's blurry. When it becomes clear, I see ChaeMin standing beside the bed. She chuckles and walks away.

I slowly sit myself up and rub my eyes. I look at the clock beside the bed and see that it's barely 9am. I get up and go straight to the living room.

"What are you doing? Go get dressed!" ChaeMin shouts at me. I look at her, puzzled.

"Why? Are we going somewhere?" I ask her.

"Not we. You." she says, throwing keys at me.

"Why are you giving me the keys?"

"Because I'm staying home all day today. You'll probably be out until night." she says.

"Where am I even going?" I ask.

"I don't know. TaeHyung just said to make sure you're ready by 9:30." she answers. My eyes widen.

"It's barely 9!" I shout. She shrugs and I run to the room to go and get ready.

When I finished, I hear the door knock. I walk out the room and see ChaeMin opening it, talking to probably TaeHyung who's outside. I stand a good distance away listening.

"You promised!" she tells him.

"Yeah. I know but l don't want to now." he says.

"Not anymore? Why?"

"No! I mean like, later." he tells her. I walk up to them.

"Oh, hey JaeEun." ChaeMin says, smiling at me. I smile back at her and look at TaeHyung, who's wearing something quite semi-formal. I mean, it still looked casual but I don't know what's up with his collared shirt, black jeans, and black cardigan. I'm just wearing jeans and a tee.

"Okay, you two have fun now!" ChaeMin says, pushing me out the door and closing it. Pushing me straight to TaeHyung.

"Sorry." I say, backing up from him. He chuckles and shakes his head, holding out his arm. I just look at him weird. He grabs my arm and links ours together, and then starts walking.

"Where are we going?" I ask him.

"To eat. I'm assuming you didn't eat because ChaeMin told me you just woke up." he tells me. Even though I asked, I didn't pay attention. I just kept staring at our linked arms. Maybe he does still like me?

We arrived at a small restaurant and we order our food. When the waiter comes, she flashes us a huge smile.

"You two look adorable." she tells us.

"Oh, uhm we aren't, uhm-"

"Hi Ms. Ju." TaeHyung says. She looks at him and smiles even wider. I didn't think that was possible. Then she walks away.

"You know her?" I ask TaeHyung. He sighs and sits back in his seat.

"When you left and then my sister left, I came here to eat a lot. Mostly because I was bored in foster care and all I thought about was eating. Sometimes I even missed school just to come here. Not to eat but to just, sit." he says.

"Sorry." I say. He smiles a little and shakes his head.

"It's okay."

"Have you seen your sister, ever since?" I ask him. He nods.

"Yeah. Like two weeks ago. They came to Seoul to visit and the parents contacted me and asked if I wanted to see her. When I met her again, I told her that I got myself a job and that I'm trying to save money to live in an apt. for at least a couple months, for the both of us. She got happy about it so that's my goal right now. Just a few more paychecks." he says. I smile a little.

"But the problem is if the parents would accept giving her to me. I mean I'm just 18 and they're two couples who has foster kids already to take care of. But, I'm her blood brother. Don't I have custody?" he asks. I sigh and shrug a little.

"I'm sorry." both of us say at the same time. We stayed quiet until our food finally came.

"I can help you." I say, grabbing my chopsticks. He looks up at me while slurping his noodles. I slightly chuckled.

"Help me?"

"Yeah. Since I'm going to be living in a dorm, I mean I can get a job to help you. ChaeMin told me it's fine, that I don't have to pay for her house, since I'll dorm in a month." I tell him. He sits up straight and his eyes wonder off somewhere else.

"You'd really do that?" he asks me. I nod.

"Yeah. I mean, why not?"

He starts smiling and then continues eating. So do I.

***

For about the next few hours, we just walked around Seoul and the malls. We walked through some parks as well and stopped at mini ice cream shops. I found it still to be pretty awkward since we both dated, and I still like him a lot, but we're just friends. At the moment, we're going through a park again.

"JaeEun." TaeHyung says. I look at him. "Well, first off, I arranged today so we can catch up with each other and also because, I wanted to ask you something."

He stops walking and I stopped as well, facing him.

"Do you still, you know, like me?" he asks. I stare at him, and I don't know whether he's asking because he still likes me too, or if he wants to clarify that he got over me. I was going to answer, but then someone came along the way.

"TaeHyung!" some feminine voice shouts. We both turn our head and see a girl walking towards us.

"I haven't seen you since graduation." she says. TaeHyung smiles at her and nods. They both look at me.

"Oh. JaeEun, this is SoYou. MinKyu's girlfriend." TaeHyung tells me. I smile at her and bow a little, she smiles back.

She whispers something to TaeHyung and he shakes his head. She then smiles at him and just walks away.

"What was that about?" I ask him. He shakes his head and shrugs. We both stand in silence, until he remembers that he asked me that question.

"Oh yeah. So uhm, do you?" he goes. All I did was nod my head. He smiles and just doesn't stop.

"To be honest, I was afraid that you moved on." he says. "The whole time I was debating whether you did move on or not. I even stopped like, messaging you because if you did move on, I didn't want to hang on. I even almost said yes to a girl who asked me out."

My heart kind of dropped but, I guess I understand. I did tell him that I probably wouldn't ever come back, or even come back this soon.

He pulls me close to him and hugs me tight.

"I missed you so much. I know it's been two months but, when you broke it off I didn't know what to do. A month of seeing you in school but not being with you was so painful for me. But then my sister and you left Seoul, and I kind of understood why you did that. But I still like you JaeEun, and still the same amount as when we first got together. It hasn't changed." he says, and then pecks the top of my head.

"And I still want you to be my girlfriend." he adds. I look up at him and he's smiling down at me. I smile back and nod my head fast. He leans down and kisses me, and it's been just two months but it felt so long. I missed being with him and I can't imagine how it'd be like if I didn't get accepted. Maybe I would've tried and moved on, especially since TaeHyung did stop messaging me for the same reason. He pulls away and smiles at me.

"We did it JaeEun." he says. "We made it through high school, and the bull that has been thrown to us in our lives. Your father's arrested and I don't have a mother to bring me down anymore, even though I'm kind of sad and wish I knew where she is. But we did it. You survived the bullying as well."

I smile and feel tears forming in my eyes. He's right.

"But your sister? And foster care?" I tell him. "I'll still help you with that."

He starts smiling and then says something that makes me freeze.

"I love you."

I just look at him. I don't say anything back, but I'm still looking at him. His smile starts to die down a little, and he lets go of me and just intertwines our fingers together.

"Let me drop you home." he says, beginning to walk. As he started pulling me, I run in front of him and tip toe to his height. I peck him on the lips and smile. He looks at me confused.

"I love you." I said back.