Chapter 20

Army of Two

School was fine. I've been here in Busan for a month already and I have about one more month of school left. I really miss Seoul. I became really known in the school here. I don't only have just two friends, like ChaeMin and JiHye, but I have a whole group. The people here are somewhat nicer, or I've just been hanging around the wrong part of the school back in Seoul.

 

A guy did ask me out. We were really close friends in school but I rejected him. I told him I still had someone in my mind and he just nodded. I felt bad. It really seemed like he liked me. No one in my new school knows about my dad issues, or my ex-boyfriend. My new friends know that I had a boyfriend, but they have no idea about his life or his name or even what he looks like. My life in Seoul stays in Seoul.

I know I told TaeHyung we'll stay as friends, but I never got the guts to text him first to just say hello. The first two weeks, TaeHyung would text me, not everyday, but he would text me most of the time asking if I like Busan and if I'm getting along with the people in my new school. He'd ask if I was okay and I'd reply back to him and ask how it is back there in Seoul. I even asked how MinKyu was and TaeHyung told me he's picking on this little boy.

But for the past 3 weeks, I haven't spoken to TaeHyung. He stopped texting me first and I just can't bring myself to texting him first. I don't know why, I just can't. Before he stopped texting me, he did tell me that he got a job and his sister has already moved in with the new foster family. He keeps telling me that everything's fine, but I think it isn't. But then he tells me he has something planned, but now I'll never know what it is since we're not talking anymore.

ChaeMin and JiHye barely text me too, since they're busy with school and keeping their grades up. They're graduating in two weeks. I'm graduating in 5 weeks.

Although I have plenty of more friends here in Busan, I don't hang out with them outside of school, unless it was for a project in class.

I guess I really did want to start a new life here. I started wearing the clothes both JiHye and ChaeMin bought for me. And, I started to buy more like it here in Busan. I actually tried dressing up and tried looking nice. I guess I wanted Busan to see me for who I could be if I tried, and like me for it. I don't want them to see me for who I really am, and like me for it. I don't know. I feel like ChaeMin, JiHye, and TaeHyung was enough for that. Gosh, do I miss them.

I though about getting a job myself. Maybe it is possibly to move back to Seoul by myself, and probably ask Mom if she'll give me some money to help me. Maybe throw a graduation party and invite many people, so I can get enough graduation money gifts to help me. But I want to move back to Seoul as soon as I graduate, it's already too late to get a job now.

"JaeEun..." I get a text from ChaeMin. I look at it and reply back.

"Yeah?" I answer.

"I just wanted to tell you, I mean in case you wanted to know. I have no idea if you care anymore or not but..." the first message sent. I waited since it said she was still typing.

"But TaeHyung hasn't been going to school for the past week." she sends. My breathing got faster and I tried to calm down. I don't know why I was worrying, but something about it made me feel sad.

"Why?" I ask her.

"I don't know. He just disappeared from school and we're graduating in two weeks. What is he doing?" she says. I don't answer back and I immediately go to text TaeHyung. Maybe I'll have the guts to do it right now.

I stare at his contact ID and that's it. I just stare. I stare at it for a couple more minutes and finally go to "messages". I read the last message sent, and it was from me.

Me: "Alright have fun at your job!"

That was 3 weeks ago.

"JaeEun! Come downstairs, dinner's ready!" my mom shouts. I sigh and put my phone down onto my bed and go downstairs for dinner. I'll text him when I finish eating. My mom hates it when I use the phone at the table.

***

Two weeks has passed and I remembered, they graduated already. Their graduation was yesterday. I forgot to text TaeHyung but when I remembered, I chickened out. ChaeMin though did message me that he came back the week before school ended. I congratulated her saying she did it. She finished school. JiHye called me on the phone and I congratulated her as well. Both of them told me to hold on for three more weeks of my school. I thanked them.

My phone rings. It's Borah, my new friend here in Busan.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey, JaeEun! AerRi, BoHee, and I are going to go to the market today. Do you wanna come?" she asks. I reject her.

"Aw, you never hang out with us! You better before graduation! Or the day of graduation okay?" she tells me. I laugh and accept. It wouldn't hurt to just hang out one day.

The main reason why I don't hang out with them after school is because I don't want to get too attached to them. I like them and all, they're nice friends, but my heart is still set on trying to go back to Seoul. And, I can't really do that if I'm going to be missing my new friends here. So I'm trying to keep them labeled as just my school friends.

"JaeEun, have you signed up for universities yet?" my mom asks me, walking into my room. My eyes go wide open. . I forgot about signing up for colleges.

"Uh, yeah Mom!" I shout at her. She nods at me.

"You better. You're not going to just go to work right away. Don't follow after me." my mom says. I nod my head, and she walks out my room. I quickly get up and go grab my new laptop. My mother bought it for me a few weeks ago.

I search for good colleges in Busan. Nothing really special, I want to become a teacher anyways. But then something clicked in my head. Oh my gosh. I can study in Seoul. I can go back to Seoul!

I search up colleges with good teaching programs and a lot of Uni's in South Korea popped up. Then there it is. A university in Seoul. I quickly click onto the link and read their guidelines and the requirements I need to get into this college, and I start smiling like an idiot when I find out I meet their requirements. I bookmark the page and plan for tomorrow to get teacher recommendations and to plan out my resume.

I don't even think of signing up for another college. My mind is stuck on going back to Seoul. I'm going to go back to Seoul. I hope this college accepts me. I'm not late for it's deadline either. Please, let me go back to Seoul.