Chapter 21

Army of Two

It's been exactly two months since I've been in Busan. Exactly two months away from ChaeMin and JiHye. Exactly two months away from TaeHyung. I don't get my letter from the university for probably another week. I already graduated from the school here and I did hang out with my friends here. It was pretty fun hanging out with them, I'm glad I won't really miss them. Sad, I know.

 

I texted ChaeMin and JiHye that I'm possibly coming back to Seoul and they called me. They sounded super excited with me coming back and they couldn't wait. They asked how and I said I applied for college there. Now all three of us are hoping I get accepted.

"JaeEun! You have a letter!" My mom shouts from the living room. I stand up quickly and run to her.

"From who?" I ask her. She hands me the envelope and it's from the university. What? Right now? But it's suppose to be another week?

My heart starts beating fast from being nervous. What if I got rejected? That's the only college that I applied to.

I open the envelope up and take out the letter. Before unfolding the letter, I breathed out. My mom was standing in front of me, looking at me.

I opened the letter and started reading it. I threw the paper in the air and hugged my mom. I didn't even have to read the rest of the letter after the phrase "You have been accepted".

I started squealing, hugging my mom and jumping up and down.

"I got accepted! I got accepted! I got accepted!" I kept saying. My mom finally realized what was going on and she hugged me back and even squealed with me.

"What college was it JaeEun?" she asks me. I look at her and excitedly said, "Seoul Uni".

Her eyes widened and I can kind of see her getting sad. If I go to Seoul, it means I'd be leaving her alone here. But then she started smiling and said that she was really proud of me.

"You really want to go back there huh?" my mom asks. I look at her and nod. She pushes my hair back and smiles.

"Just don't forget about me when you get back to Seoul." she says. I chuckle and we hug again.

I run to my room and grab my phone. I go to dial ChaeMin's number and wait for her to answer. She's going to be so happy to hear that I got accepted.

"Hello?" a voice said. I was too excited to realize that it wasn't ChaeMin's.

"Guess what?! Guess what?! I got accepted to Seoul university!" I shouted to the phone. It stayed silent and no one said anything.

"Hello?" I said.

"JaeEun?" I hear the voice say. My eyes widen when I finally realize that it wasn't ChaeMin. I looked at my phone and I accidentally called TaeHyung. I put the phone back to my ear.

"Hello?" TaeHyung says.

"Oh. TaeHyung sorry uhm. I meant to call ChaeMin." I tell him.

"Oh, haha. Explains your squealing." he says, and he chuckles.

'Yeah, haha. Sorry about that." I say.

"No. It's cool." he says. We stay quiet on the phone for another minute.

"So your coming back to Seoul?" TaeHyung asks while at the same time I said, "So I'm going back to Seoul."

Because of that, we stayed quiet again.

"Yeah, I'm going back." I finally say to break the awkward silence.

"When?" he asks.

"I don't know. I didn't finish reading the letter. I just threw it on the floor and hugged my mother when I read 'You got accepted'." I say, chuckling a little. He chuckles as well.

"You should tell me when you're coming." he says. I don't say anything for a while and I nod. I don't know why I do that when I'm on the phone. It's not like he can see me.

"Yeah. Sure." I say.

"Good. You better." he says. I kind of laugh.

"Well, talk to you later?" I ask him.

"Yeah. Talk to you later." he says, and I hang up. I stare at my phone and start smiling to myself. I still do have feelings for him. I still want to be with him but I don't know if it's the same with him. Maybe while I was gone he got another girlfriend. Maybe he's still with her if he did. Maybe his feelings for me went away. Maybe it did, because he did stop texting me first. This was the first time in a few weeks that we've spoken.

***

"Mom, don't worry. I'll be fine." I tell her. "It's just to Seoul."

"Yeah, I would've drove you to Seoul besides buying a plane ticket if it weren't for my job." my mom says.

"Seoul isn't that far by plane, don't worry." I tell her. She smiles and hugs me.

"My little girl is all grown up now huh?" she says. I pull away and look at her with a smile. "You're so strong. You know that? To go what you went through your whole childhood. You're stronger than me honey. You stood up to your father, even when you knew he'd hurt you. I would chicken out. I couldn't even bring myself to stand up for you, and I'm so sorry for all those times I let him hurt you."

Tears start falling from my eyes.

"You probably hated me during those times huh JaeEun?" she chuckles with tears. "I don't blame you if you did. But look at you right now. You did it okay? You're going to college. I'm so proud of you."

I hug her and tears fall more. She pulls away and wipes the tears away from my eyes.

"Now go. Don't miss your flight." she says. I nod and she kisses my forehead. I go to the boarding area and my mom is away from sight.

I sit in my seat and take out my phone, texting both ChaeMin and JiHye that I'm on the way to Seoul and I'll be there in an hour or two. They both said that they'll wait at the airport.

I stare at my phone. I stare at TaeHyung's contact. He wanted me to tell him when I was coming.

I called him.

"Hello?" he answers.

"I'm in the airport right now." I say.

"Seoul's?" he asks. I chuckle and shake my head. Gosh, I need to stop doing that.

"No. I'm on the way there though, to Incheon. I'm boarding in a few minutes."

"How long do you think it'll be until you get here?" he asks.

"Maybe two hours? I don't know really." I tell him.

"Alright then. See you when you get here, yeah?" he says. I smile and nod my head. Dammit.

"Yeah. See you." I say and this time he hands up. I smile to myself at the fact that he probably is going to see me at Incheon.

It was time to board the plane. When I took my seat, I look out the window and smile. I'm going to be back in Seoul. I'm going to see them three again. Finally.