The Tower

Once Upon A Time... (on hiatus)

There was never a time for him to not be in his home. He didn't like it since it wasn't as welcoming as it had seemed to everyone outside of it. The colors could mislead people and the friendliness look of it, but it was the opposite. He never found his home the best even when he was little. It was big and there was no one there but his Mother, Tiffany, and him. Tiffany and his Mother used to be more kind then instead of now. It was as if they were expecting things from him now that he was older. He understood some of their behavior, but the rest was blank to him and unclear indeed.

 

His Mother left long ago to her own work while Tiffany and him were alone in this house. There were many things for him to do, but it wasn't the same as being outside. Strangely, he's always been inside, sheltered from the world. All he got to see was what it all looked like in pictures and from a window. He wished to embrace whatever was kept hidden from him. He felt as if his Mother had kept him locked inside a box and threw the key in the lava of a volcano; never to escape.

 

It wasn't like he didn't have good times here though.

 

Being little and merely a child, he would run around the large house and try to lighten up his mood. His Mother didn't necessarily play with him and neither did Tiffany. All the two did was make sure his hair was fine and that he was taking proper care of it. Strange it was indeed, but as much as Eunhyuk wished to know why, there was no way he would be answers. The last time he remembered trying his Mother had pulled on his hair; making his scalp hurt and wince in pain.

 

I thought women were supposed to be the ones to care about their hair, not men, Eunhyuk thought in his head, groaning deeply.

 

Perhaps he would just never know or understand?

 

He did what his Mother had insisted and preferred: having him keep his long flowing blonde hair down rather than in a ponytail. He didn't want to have to deal with another argument when she returned home. Where was Tiffany? He had no clue. She was likely doing her own thing somewhere in the house. He wouldn't bother her since he didn't feel like doing so. He did that to his Mother and babysitter when he was younger and he probably smiled at his deeds. Now, he didn't care for being at their side asking what they were doing or why they were doing it.

 

He continued his work on his computer. It wasn't long before he got bored and placed the tab down for a second and just stopped being on the computer. He hated being home-schooled on the computer. He had no friends, no social skills and ideas of the world. He could imagine it and everyone but he yearned to see it all. His desire was to explore and experience all sorts of things, but something was pulling him back of course. Tiffany. His Mother. Hyohyeon.

 

Tiffany didn't seem to be much of a main concern to him though. She wasn't related to him and he had gotten used to her absences at times and found out he liked it better when she wasn't there. As for his Mother...it was different. He knew she saw something in him. She had plans for him. She had him working now so...so he could do something. Her expectations were set high and he had to succeed. He had to. She's always been there and she hadn't stopped at any time. It just made sense for him to satisfy her.

 

She wanted him to work. He did.

 

She wanted him to be victorious. He will.

 

She wanted him to care for his own hair...he will no matter how stupid it sounded.

 

That was his Mom. She was always there for him and even though she treated him different ow that he was older, it was no excuse to not love her. Besides, it would be quite selfish for him to not owe himself to her. She has done so much for him that it just made perfect sense for him to do the same for her. She deserved it after all.

 

He sighed deeply and looked at the time, 8:34 PM.  It was time for him to head to bed. He saved where he was in the tab and logged out. It seems like his Mother was working a later shift than he had expected. Tiffany never minded staying over a little longer. It just meant whatever payment she received would be more of it. Eunhyuk never saw her being paid. Who knows? He didn't obviously.

 

As he was about to head upstairs to his room he heard something. It was like a blowing sound, like wind. It came from the entrance room. He exited the dining room and went to where the entrance room was. The blowing sound was gone and the lights to the room were on. They were not the last time he remembered. It was Hyohyeon's policy that if a room wasn't being used then the lights should be off and not on; a waste of light and more bills to pay.

 

Eunhyuk saw at the corner of his eyes there was something right by the black long door. It was locked...like always?

 

There was no way anyone entered and placed the box in. But then again there was no way that Tiffany or his Mother would leave packages lying near the door. Neither of the two had gone to the entrance room at all. His Mother had left and when she did there was no sign of a package lying anywhere. It looked as if it had just been placed there. Anyways, what about the wind noise?

 

He groaned and approached the box and snatched it up. He didn't mind to look at the box, but instead ran out of the entrance room to turn off the lights and head up to his room. He had forgotten the lights of the dining room though.

 

Once he made it to his room he closed the door and locked it. If his Mother and Tiffany could lock him out of him the world, he most definitely could lock them out of his bedroom where he needed privacy at times. He moved away from the bedroom door and approached his bed. He sat on the bed with the box in his possession.

 

On his lap was the cardboard box; approximately the size of a computer screen. There was no other details besides the tape, opening, and written words on the box. He felt iffy and a bad, strange vibe from this. He looked at the written letters on the box with a frown, it said TO: EUNHYUK. He thought for a while if he should open it or not. It was like the choice of actually opening the entrance door and seeing what was outside in the world. That was a chance he wanted to take, and he might as well take this one too. He opened the box just to see a little doll in the box. The doll wore light beige pants and a grey top. The eyes and mouth were black crosses. What surprised Eunhyuk was the long yellow yarn hair that was twelve feet long. It looked like him. He noticed a note in the box. He set the doll next to him and took the note to read it:

 

 

 

He was not any ordinary boy,

The woman took him with her because of his gift,

Raised him as her own.

She kept him away from the outside world,

Sheltering him from everyone and everything.

He spent his life inside of a tall, lonely and isolated place.

It was known as The Tower.