The Slipper

Once Upon A Time... (on hiatus)

He returned back home like he usually did. He had gotten four more costumers after the Chinese handsome young man. Two schoolgirls who were having some issues with their new iPhones—in result they had to buy new phones. Then there was an old man who was having a hard time using his brand new expensive phone that was gifted to him from his son and daughter last Christmas.

 

Even though he would have liked to purchase some new clothes with the money he earned today. Unfortunately he would have to give all the money, no matter how much he had, to Jessica and her y daughters. He would have liked to buy at least a pair of clothes, but he doubted things would go his way.

 

He made his way towards a large two-story house that was painted light blue on the outside and the walls were a light cream color. He knew that his parents had worked their butts off on the house—making repairs and welcoming to those who were simply visiting the house.

 

Heechul knew that by the time he entered the house he would have to place the money in the bowl where Jessica always expected the money and he would have to get ready and make dinner. When he entered the large house he could hear the voices and laughter of his stepsisters while his stepmother was talking to them.

 

He felt somewhat saddened by the fact that he had spent time so little time with his mother in his life and lost her when they were both young. He did miss her a lot and wished that she could come back to him—but that impossible. There was no way that anyone could be brought back to life—that was just a fantasy that could never become reality.

 

He was delighted to know that neither of his parents was alone anymore though. His father had mourned and knew that he would never love anyone like he did to his first wife. Heechul knew what his parents had been true love, not something forced or nothing of lust. He wished one day he would have the same thing that they had once had. At least now they were in Heaven together with their love shining as bright as the stars in the night skies that he continuously looked at every night.

 

Heechul closed and locked the door before placing the money in the bowl on the counter between the toaster and microwave. Afterwards he took the cold meat that he had placed on the right side of the sink in the morning to defrost. He turned the stove on and started preparing the meat. Once he placed the meat inside of the stove, he took the bag of rice and started placing it in the rice maker.

 

He was too focused in cooking that he had not heard the footsteps that had entered the kitchen. He had realized someone was in the kitchen once the creak of the chair his mother always sat at was pulled. It did not take long for him to realize who it was his—only one person sat where his mother had and that was none other than Jessica. When his Father was still alive there had only been three chairs and even now there was still only three and once his stepfamily came along there had once been five. Once his Father died, two chairs had been taken away from the table—his stepmother and stepsisters suggested that he ate after they were done and he ate the leftovers and scraps near the fireplace.

 

He did not look back or say anything—obviously Jessica was aware that he knew she was there. She was the first to speak in the large amount of awkward silence.

 

“I wonder what would have happened if you did not go to work today? What would have happened then?” Jessica’s voice was like daggers of ice. He didn’t want to be terrified of her, but his life had always been in her hands.

 

Heechul gulped and wondered what she meant. “I have no clue what you are referring to.”

 

Jessica snickered. “I spotted how much money was in the bowl—no one pays so much unless they’re filthy rich, am I right?”

 

Heechul’s eyes averted from the vegetables he was chopping to the two billion won in the bowl. No one had ever paid that much and it was obvious that reporters would know that the Chinese prime minister’s oldest son was not in China but in Seoul.

 

She’d kill me if she found out, Heechul thought as he imagined Jessica watching the news of the extremely famous handsome Chinese man arriving in Seoul and being spotted near booths.

 

“I suppose so.” Heechul answered in anxiety. He had not expected the happy moment to make him feel so afraid afterwards.

 

He had not noticed the footsteps and which was why he was surprised once a handful of his black hair was pulled back and he fell backwards. The knife that had been in his hand had fell and ended up a couple of feet away from him. He looked up to see his stepmother eye the knife and avert her eyes back at him.

 

He definitely knew what was running in her head—a very wicked plan that he knew she was probably wishing she could take action. Jessica approached the knife and picked it up. She examined it with a wide smirk on her face.

 

She held the knife out for Heechul to take, but her stepson did not take it. Jessica started feeling exasperated and took Heechul right hand which she earned a yelp. She took his palm and slit it and Heechul cried out in pain. There was blood starting to appear and let go of his hand. She threw the knife and took the money from the bowl and stopped at the entry of the kitchen.

 

“I am aware of who came to the booth today. I would not bother to ask why because I have my sources and if you make an embarrassment on us then I assure you that…Oh, you don’t even want to know.” Jessica said before officially leaving the kitchen.

 

Heechul was shaking and somehow found energy in him to stand up and turn off the rice maker and stove and ran out of the kitchen and made it upstairs so he could enter the attic. Once he was up in his room he immediately just crashed onto his bed and started sobbing.

 

He had ended up crying himself to sleep and woke up when it was already after midnight. He felt his right hand ache and was not surprised to see it red due to the blood stains. He made his way back out of the attic and to the bathroom to wash off and clean the wound before heading downstairs to the kitchen to get something small to eat.

 

Once he made it downstairs, he heard some strange wind noise and the room was pretty chilly. He made himself to the living room but the entrance door was surprisingly open. He made his way towards the entry door and was a little terrified by the fact that someone had opened the door and forgot to close and lock it.

 

In fear he turned his head to look at the darkened living room and kitchen. There was nothing out of place and there seemed to be no evidence that anyone was recently in there—he knew he had closed and locked the door—he could swear on his life that he had done such actions. Perhaps it was one of his stepsisters or Jessica? He knew he had not done so.

 

He turned to look back at the door and saw the darkened sky and no one outside in the neighborhood. His eyes averted down to where the doormat was and he saw a box. He snatched the box up and looked back at the quiet and dark neighbor—this was extremely freaky and something people saw in horror movies.

 

Heechul debated on leaving the package there but saw his name written in black: KIM HEECHUL. It freaked him out a lot more than it made him curious, but what if it was something amazing? What if someone had given him a gift that could easily be stolen by his stepsisters and stepmother? That would be a mistake he would not be happy that he had made. And what if it wasn’t a gift? What if it was a bomb or a death threat of some sort?

 

Being the fool he knew he was, Heechul closed the door and locked it before going back to the attic, also known as his room, with the box in his hands. Once he was sitting down on his bed he started opening the box and was confused and a little frightened to what he saw in the box. He took out a little doll that had dark little hair, a little light blue dress, and silver little high heels. There was also a note attached to the doll’s dress:

 

He ran as fast as he could,

As he wore his elegant clothes,

And glass shoes.

He ran while his prince called to him,

He ran down a flight of stairs,

There was nothing left of him for his prince,

Besides their memories and dancing,

And The Slipper.