Hair

Once Upon A Time... (on hiatus)

          It took him a few more times to connect the wireline to his phone and to his computer. He was doing what he knew best to do. He was able to send the telegraph to his laptop and he beamed happily as a chime noise was heard. It worked. This wasn’t an experiment, but this was his job, or the job he was given to do.

 

        Eunhyuk was debating on tying his hair with a hair tie to avoid strands of hair entering his mouth. But if he were to do that, he’d be picked on by his babysitter and she made nasty remarks and comments. If anything, his Mother had learned from the babysitter and had made some remarks herself about her son.

 

        He sighed deeply and shrugged off the thoughts of being picked on. He grabbed the hair tie on the counter, grabbed his hair, and tied it quickly and flipped his hair to make sure that the hair tie was tight enough. He was about to type in something on his laptop, but a snicker stopped him. He wheeled around and saw his babysitter, Hwang Tiffany pointing at him while laughing.

 

        Eunhyuk growled, “What are you laughing at?!” This was what he was expecting, but it wasn’t nice to laugh at someone.

 

        Tiffany placed her hands on her hips, “You look like a girl!”

 

        “Hey, I—” Eunhyuk was cut off, by a familiar woman’s voice.

 

        Kim Hyohyeon was her name; she was Eunhyuk’s Mother, but Hyohyeon had her son as Lee Eunhyuk and not Kim Eunhyuk. She looked somewhat like Eunhyuk. She had blonde hair, but it wasn’t a bleach color, and she always kept her hair in a ponytail or a bun and cut her hair once in a while, but knives or scissors weren’t kept near Eunhyuk. Hyohyeon wondered what would happen and used those wonders as her excuses to not have any sharp items near her son.

 

        “Mother,” Eunhyuk spoke softly with a joyous smile as he stood up from his chair and bowed his head and ran towards her to hug her so they could both caress each other, he whispered, “I missed you so much.”

 

        Hyohyeon nodded her head and patted his back and his hair while glaring at it, “Oh dear, why put it in a ponytail? Wouldn’t it be best to let it down so it could grow more?” Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow and pouted. His hair? They haven’t seen each other since the morning and now that she’s back…all she can talk about is his hairstyle?

 

        Eunhyuk let go of the hug and smiled weakly at his Mother, “Mom, my hair? It’s nothing, really. I mean, it’s just like a mop head, that’s how unimportant it is.”

 

        Hyohyeon tilted her head and blinked her eyes, “Oh dear, you wouldn’t understand. Do never cut this hair, will you? It’s probably strange now, but you’ll understand later.” Understand later? What will Eunhyuk understand later? How important it was to keep his hair long and down? How important it was to not cut it? His Mother was insane, that must be the reason, right?

 

        Instead of making a smart remark, he spoke lightly and nicely and nodded his head, “Yes, Mother. I…I will understand later, but I wanted to ask something, Mom.”

 

       Hyohyeon pointed at Tiffany and waved her hand, “You may go now, Fany. Just wait until I call you tomorrow so you could come back, arasso?” Tiffany nodded and walked out of the room and into another one. Hyohyeon cleared and went to find a chair to sit down in, “So dear, what is it you wanted to ask about?”

 

       “Well, I’ll be turning 18 soon, won’t I? I mean, this is something big! So I was thinking…how about…I can go outside and explore the whole world? Wouldn’t that be fun? It’d be like a fieldtrip!” Eunhyuk exclaimed with happiness and joy.

 

        Hyohyeon raised her index finger and looked shocked, “Darling, go out?  Trust me dear, you’d regret it. Going out isn’t what you predict it is, oh no. It’s rather, scary and frightening. They’ll all be coming after you and the reason is…well, they wouldn’t like you. They wouldn’t understand how important you are.”

 

       Eunhyuk tilted his head and had a look of confusion, “How important I am? Aren’t I like everyone else? Aren’t we all important and different in our own ways? They’d understand, wouldn’t they?” He went back to his seat and sat down.

 

       Hyohyeon got out of her chair and approached Eunhyuk. He yelped in pain after he felt someone tug his hair, which made him turn his head and hold his hair while looking scared, “Lee Eunhyuk, you aren’t to ever leave this house! Do you understand, young man? Your curiosity runs high and you must watch it!” With that, Hyohyeon stormed out of the room.

 

        Eunhyuk seemed pretty confused. Why couldn’t he go outside? Honestly, for many children or people wouldn’t want such things, and that’s because they can go outside whenever, but he had to stay inside the rest of his life. Ever since he was a baby and to how old he is now. Always inside, and never outside.

 

        He held his hair and glared at it. What was so important about it? How would his Mother react…if it was all gone the next morning? What importance could his hair possibly hold? His hair. What is it?