Courage and Kindness

Once Upon A Time... (on hiatus)

Heechul was desperately trying to work out his problems in his head. He had tried working on the tablet the prime minister’s eldest son had given him to fix. He had a bunch of flash drives and memory cards in a fishbowl. Jessica rarely gave him anything and when she gave him the fishbowl she didn’t really expect him to buy a fish and therefore he didn’t. He used the bowl to store other things in there besides a real life fish or water.

 

He sat at his counter in his booth and constantly tried different ways to turn on the tablet. He had gone by the usual ways of turning on a tablet like pressing the power button or holding it for a few seconds. When neither of the two methods works, he then started using his own methods. He would bang on the tablet or even tapped on the screen on various spots countless times.

 

Like the normal ways, his didn’t work.

 

Since the table wasn’t being obedient it made him angry and wished he could just throw the thing out the window. Or maybe…he could throw it at Jessica or one of his stepsisters? He smiled at that idea. Yeah, that idea seemed way more pleasant and funnier than the original one. He shook his head and called himself a fool.

 

He couldn’t break the tablet because it belonged to someone special. A very rich and handsome Chinese man was depending on him to either get this tablet to work or at least turn on in order for him to get the information right away. He hated it when people relied on him. His stepfamily depended on him to do everything and then he had strangers rely on him to work their devices.

 

Heechul had placed the tablet down on the counter and just glared at the device as if it was staring back at him as well. He felt like crushing the thing because it was probably laughing at him in the face. Heechul reminded himself that this wasn’t a puzzle needing to be solved, but rather like a patient needing to be cared for and recovered. Even though the tablet wouldn’t recover, just the information would be transferred.

 

He had been distracted by the tablet that he hadn’t realized there was someone whom had arrived. It was the sound of glass shattering on the hard ground. He jumped and looked up to see a young man—or boy?

 

The male looked at least to be the age of fifteen maybe, but he certainly didn’t look any age under thirteen. He had light brown hair and light fair skin and chubby cheeks. His dark eyes were full of fear and worry as he gulped and looked down at the floor where his feet were. There were glass shards surrounding him.

 

Heechul held back his groan and looked behind him and took the red broom and dustpan before approaching the young boy and helping sweep the glass. The boy had helped by moving away from the glass without stepping on it. He had used a folder he had in his black messenger black to help sweep smaller shards into the dustpan. When Heechul was certain majority of the shards were in the dustpan, he placed the shards into the small garbage tin near the counter before turning back to the face the boy.

 

“I’m so, so sorry about that! I-I wasn’t looking and…Shoot! Mom and dad are going to be pissed!” The young boy said with a worried look as he looked at the garbage tin.

 

Heechul raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. He wondered what the boy had broken. At least it wasn’t something from the shop. That would have cost the young boy some money. Heechul didn’t keep glass things in the shop, especially if they held value.

 

“What did you break?” Heechul asked curiously as he eyed the boy top to bottom. He had on a red shirt with a green blazer and black trousers along with white boat shoes. “Can it be replaced?”

 

The boy frowned and shook his head which gave the diva a clear answer, but the boy spoke. “No, sadly it cannot. It’s an antique.”

 

Heechul seemed more confused as he eyed the garbage tin and tried finding some shards, but he had no hope. He turned back at the boy. “Really, it was? I couldn’t tell.”

 

The boy nodded his head and shrugged as he placed his hands in his blazer pockets. “It’s supposed to be a gift for someone I don’t even know. My parents are always trying to arrange my schedule as they wish.”

 

“It’s a gift? It must be someone’s birthday since Christmas isn’t really right around the corner.” Heechul assumed as he placed his arms at his side.

 

The boy tilted his head and pouted, which Heechul found himself thinking how adorable the sight looked. “Yeah, I should have some money left…I hope.” The boy dug through his black messenger bag and took out a grey wallet.

 

“You’re thinking of purchasing something here?” Heechul asked curiously as he eyed the grey wallet in the boy’s hands. He opened his mouth and spoke once more, “Some device over some glass antique?”

 

The boy looked up and shrugged effortlessly and looked around at the booth. “It was my parents who bought the glass thing. I should replace it…Though I don’t have enough money to do so.”

 

“Do you think you have enough money to buy a tablet? Maybe you should buy something that you think would be appropriate for a birthday gift.” Heechul suggested as he felt bad for the boy.

 

“What would be good for a birthday gift? I don’t even know the guy.” The boy said as he held tightly onto his wallet as he looked at Heechul.

 

Heechul was surprised by what the boy was saying. He couldn’t believe parents would have their children meet complete strangers. He always sees new people every day so it’s not like it mattered much. The boy looked older than the age of twelve, so it seemed reasonable. Besides, he was here at this moment right now.

 

“A birthday card would seem friendly, but…Who knows? Maybe he already has a few cellphones or tablets. Do you even know his first name?” Heechul asked.

 

The boy shook his head slowly. “No, sorry, but I don’t even know how helpful that would be.”

 

“A birthday card will just have to do, then. Sorry there was no way I could be of any help.” Heechul apologized as he approached the boy and wrapped an arm around his shoulders reassuringly.

 

The boy smiled and hugged Heechul before pulling away. “I’m fine, it’s okay. I think a birthday card would seem fine, thanks by the way.” He turned away and approached the exit.

 

“Wait!” Heechul was surprised that he had actually prevented the boy from leaving. He didn’t know where that came from, but he felt like stopping the boy. “W-what’s your name?”

 

“Henry…Henry Lau,” The boy said with a brightened smile and waved his hand and exited the booth.

 

Heechul would remember that name.