Fairest of The Land

Once Upon A Time... (on hiatus)

He made his way out of his home and finding out from one of the maids that his stepmother had taken a young man and took him somewhere in the city only made things seem uncomfortable around Hyuna. He didn't understand how other people could deal with step parents. He had heard by some people that stepfathers of stepmothers are possibly better better parents than biological ones. He never got to meet his mother and since he was young he had never necessarily favored Hyuna.

 

He found it weird that he's known her for a while but never had a bond with her. He had always thought of her as a bad guy like some villain from superhero comics or something. He had never tried seeing the good side no matter how many times maids and servants asked him to try and do so. He was always angered by her. It seemed like she knew how to push her buttons and he tried to but it was all futile.

 

Hyuna had released him from his punishment and allowed him to use any technology and even leave his room. He wanted to go and see if he could find something that would catch his interest. There had to be something he could do in the city he was born and raised in.

 

A movie?

 

No, it was too dark.

 

The park?

 

No, it was just a bench with hills of grass.

 

The mall?

 

Np, too many people and crowds with a bunch of expensive stuff.

 

A friend's house?

 

Pfft. He had no friends that weren't animals.

 

The park it was.

 

When Kibum had arrived at the park there was no one there and therefore he sat at the bench with no one. He was all alone and he could think and say all sorts of stuff and not have to worry about what people said or thought about any of it. He tried thinking of his stepmother, his animal friends, his life...his parents. His father.

 

He really did miss his father a lot. He was young when his father was taken from him and he hadn't even got to say goodbye to him at all. His father had died on a hospital bed due to an illness that took him away. Apparently, the doctors couldn't really find what was wrong with him. They tried but to no avail. They had later on placed on the files, "food poisoning." It seemed to Kibum that the doctors at that time were terrible.

 

Kibum took his phone out and went through the images. He had never looked at his pictures because he had found no reason to do so. He never really took pictures and didn't feel the need to. When he had gotten this phone on his 13th birthday, his father had given him the phone with a memory card and he had never went through the pictures although for some reason now he was being curious.

 

He went through the gallery and was shocked to see there were only twenty-five. Majority of them were pictures of him when he was smaller. There were pictures of his youthful self near a cake with number candles that signified how old he was turning. The last picture had made his eyes widened. 

 

He was staring at a picture of a woman sitting up in a hospital bed and a handsome young man holding her close with his arm wrapped around her. The two were staring down with smiles at the white bundle the woman was holding. Due to the memory of his father's face, Kibum could tell that young man in the picture was his deceased father. The woman didn't look like Hyuna at all, so she must be his mother. And in her arms was him when he had been born.

 

Kibum's eyes became watery and he felt happy by the picture. He was happy there was something left of the three of them, excluding Hyuna. He giggled and held the phone close to his chest. He looked back at the picture and looked at it again and again as if it was the most valuable diamond in the whole entire world.

 

"Whatcha looking at?" He jumped when he heard the voice of a male. His phone had started falling but was caught immediately. Kibum looked at the male and was surprised to see it was the boy who had been eating Hyuna's apples.

 

Kibum smiled nervously. "I-it's nothing."

 

"No?" Changmin asked and held out the phone to the pretty boy. 

 

Kibum took the phone and rubbed the case with his fingers. He looked back at Changmin with a relaxed smile. He had nothing to worry about at all. After all, the boy didn't seem too bad.

 

"Hello, Changmin, it's nice to see you again. How's-how are you doing?" Kibum asked with a friendly smile.

 

Changmin shrugged and glanced at everyone who walked nearby. "Fine, I believe. How's the castle handling, Your Majesty?"

 

Kibum was going to question him, but felt no need to because he knew what Changmin had met. The first time they had met, he had revealed to the young man that people literally gave him the nickname "Snow White." 

 

"I bet you think your little joke is funny." Kibum said with a grin as he recalled their whole little meeting.

 

Changmin chuckled and smiled sweetly. "I suppose you can say that, but you do live in a large home must I say! A mansion, remember? It's white and so huge! I haven't seen the inside though, I wonder what secrets are kept in there."

 

Kibum rolled his eyes and chuckled lightly. "I don't know what secrets you're trying to look for, but I would think none of them would interest you at all. At least I don't believe so."

 

"Are you saying I would be bored?" Changmin with a hint of mischief.

 

"You wouldn't be excited as usual." 

 

"Are you saying I'm exciting?" Changmin asked deeply as he leaned close to Kibum.

 

Kibum felt his cheeks go red and his skin being as warm as the sun. He turned away and chuckled as he held out to his phone towards the male. 

 

"What are you doing? I thought you wanted it." Changmin said with a pout as he eyed the cell.

 

"You were wondering about what I was looking at and there it is. It's a picture that is now very special to me, I never realized I had it." Kibum explained as Changmin took the phone.

 

Changmin asked softly. "Who's the couple and the baby?"

 

Kibum crossed his arms and giggled. "It's my parents and me when I was an infant. It was a day before she had died from childbirth. She was with me after birth and was gone the next day."

 

"I'm sorry." Changmin said with an apologetic facial expression.

 

Kibum waved his hand dismissively. "There's no need for any condolences. It was so long ago and...I don't even remember her."

 

"She wasn't alive for you to remember anything." Changmin said as he realized he could hear the blame Kibum had for himself.

 

Kibum shrugged. "I wonder why she had to die...She had her child and then she was taken away from it? Maybe she wasn't supposed to have and a child and she did and her own punishment was death? What if it's all my fault she died? Oh my God, I'm a terrible son."

 

"Don't say that." Changmin said sternly as he placed an arm around Kibum's shoulders in a reassuring and friendly gesture. "I bet you're mother loved you when she found out she was pregnant to her last moments. She took care of you."

 

"Maybe because she had to? Maybe she didn't even want kids and my parents weren't careful enough and he pushed her into keeping me until I was born?" Kibum threw out the questions and he suddenly started feeling sick.

 

Changmin shook his head rapidly. "Stop it, stop saying that! You're the best thing that's happened to them and right now I bet they're looking down at you sadly because you're beating yourself up for no reason."

 

"What would you do if you had a stepfather or a stepmother?" Kibum asked randomly. He had been wondering what he should say or do around Hyuna. 

 

Changmin shrugged. "I don't know who my parents are. I was born in a church and was raised by nuns. Supposedly my parents had left me there, but the Mother Superior said the nun who had taken me into the church had disappeared the day after."

 

Kibum covered his mouth with his hand and widened her teary eyes. "Oh Changmin, I'm so sorry! I didn't know...Oh, I must sound so selfish. What was I thinking?"

 

"It's okay, really. But I've always thought if it was my fault they left or maybe it wasn't even them who had taken me to the church. I've always wondered why that nun left too." Changmin said with a small smile.

 

Kibum hugged Changmin tightly. “Don't ever believe you're a disappointment, Changmin. You're too good that people would even be shocked."

 

"Same goes for you. Your parents do love you, Kibum. They do." Changmin whispered as he hugged the pretty boy back with flushed cheeks. 

 

Why do I have the urge to kiss him? Changmin asked himself as he tried distracting himself with Kibum's arms that were around him.