The Disbeliever

Once Upon A Time... (on hiatus)

Little Kim Hyuna seemed to have hated the way they began and how they ended. She had also hated how many lives had turned into them.  She didn’t like how other little girls waited for their princes to rescue them, but Hyuna didn’t need any prince. She needed no one. What she needed was herself and that was all. Yes, the girl was pretty mature for her age, and she hadn’t showed much of it to anyone.

 

        As Hyuna lied on her stomach with a disgusted face while her Father continued on with the original story of Cinderella, “She had continued to run and she had accidentally tripped, but she turned her head to unexpectedly see her glass slipper on the staircase. She didn’t stop to retrieve it though. She had continued to run even though the prince was hollering out to her.” Hyuna sighed deeply which made her Father stop speaking.

 

        “Hyuna, is something wrong, darling? Don’t you like these fairytales? They’re quite amazing if you ask me,” Mr. Kim spoke out his opinion, he had enjoyed the fairytales, he didn’t understand why Hyuna couldn’t either. Her Mother enjoyed them too or she had before she died. “Darling, do you want to hear a different story perhaps?”

 

        The little girl shook her head and asked, “Daddy, why do fairytales exist? They’re rather useless, don’t you think?” It was pretty surprising that a girl as young as her could use such vocabulary and Mr. Kim wasn’t used to it.

 

        Mr. Kim raised an eyebrow, “Hyuna dear, these stories have morals. A moral is concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.  Morals are very important in life, Hyuna. You’ll learn from them if you really pay attention to them.” Little Hyuna didn’t listen to a word he said. She ignored it. She hated fairytales. She hated happy endings.

 

        “Morals don’t seem important Daddy. Power is one important thing and especially popularity to come with it, don’t you think? If you have power…even magic…you could do anything, wouldn’t that be fun? Have your own rules and have people listen to them?

 

        Mr. Kim was surprised of his little girl. This wasn’t something he’s ever seen. He’s never seen this side of his baby girl and he wondered why. He didn’t know why…but he sensed deviousness in his child, and not the good kind. He didn’t know why but he could’ve sworn he saw a flicker in Hyuna’s eyes after speaking out her opinion of morals. But, he didn’t acknowledge it. He ignored it.

 

        Mr. Kim closed the book and tucked Hyuna in, “Darling, who is your favorite character in fairytales? Who do you worship? Who is your hero? Who do you think should claim victory?” Mr. Kim smiled a bit since he was curious of whom Hyuna liked. Maybe she could learn to like the tales of a girl with evil stepsisters and a stepmother, or maybe she can learn to understand and not stray like what Little Red Riding Hood did, or maybe she can dream that her first kiss would be like Snow White’s?

 

        Little Hyuna smiled as she closed her eyes and whispered, “The ones who seek power and victory and who never get it most of the times.” Mr. Kim blew out the candle from the room. He thought of her words. Those who seek power and victory? Power and victory were two different things.

 

        Heroes usually wanted victory, but no power, of course not. They wanted to save the day and make sure everyone was fine. Power was the last thing they needed. But, villains claimed for victory already. They always claim it in the beginning, they always expect themselves to win, but they sometimes don’t. Villains do want power though and victory, but they claim to already have it. Are those Hyuna’s heroes?

 

        Mr. Kim couldn’t possibly believe Hyuna liked the villains. No one ever did. She was still young and a child, she’s probably confused. But those words didn’t seem like she was confused. Each word she spoke today during his reading, she had sounded serious and that no joke lied behind it. She looked serious and for sure. Confidence was also in the tone of her voice as she spoke out her opinions. Mr. Kim didn’t want to believe this.

      

  In Hyuna’s teen years, Mr. Kim had always been out working while Hyuna went to school; it was nothing big of course. It was a church with benches and chalk boards on each wall and then in the entrance small room there was a rack for jackets or coats and pails (where students kept their supplies.) Mr. Kim overheard they’d learn so much about some fairytales, like the Sword in the Stone which is how Arthur became king. He had seem a little worried when Hyuna came back blabbering out why Arthur had to be taken for the safety of their kingdom, or why couldn’t Arthur stay so the dangers could just finally come?

       

Mr. Kim saw that through the years that all the children but Hyuna, loved fairytales. He didn’t know what was happening, but by that time, Hyuna hadn’t been doing so well in school. She made fun of girls younger than her and teased boys constantly. To solve the problem, Mr. Kim and Hyuna moved from their village and into the woods where it was close to a whole kingdom. Mr. Kim had decided to teach Hyuna at home and not in public with other children.

       

One day, on Hyuna’s 16th birthday, she had decided to stray from her house while her Father had left to help some other families to collect wood and how to hunt for food. Hyuna had left the woods and wandered in the huge kingdom. There were houses until it went to a small grass hill, and there it was. A big white castle.

 

       Hyuna grinned as she noticed her eyes couldn’t be taken off from the sight of the castle. She wanted to enter it. She wanted to live in it. She wanted to rule the whole kingdom. She had forgotten about her small house in the woods and…about her Father. She thought about seamstresses making her beautiful gowns and servants and maids doing whatever she told them to do.

   

     She hid behind a wagon with hay stacks when she noticed five horses were leaving away from the castle. She suspected each one from afar. She noticed 2 horses were brown and 2 horses were black while 1 was white. On the black and brown horses were men in metal armor and on the white horse was a handsome young man who wore a golden crown on top of his head while wearing armor. He had no helmet like the other men riding horses. Hyuna couldn’t keep her eyes off the prince.

 

       Hyuna knew what she wanted for her birthday. She desired for something. She wanted the prince. She wanted to be his queen. She wanted to be his wife. She wanted to be close to him. She wanted to be near him. She wanted to sleep next to him. She wanted to kiss and hug him. But, what would it take for her to be with him? Perhaps…except for the prince saving the princess’s life, maybe the princess can finally save the prince?

 

        Hyuna had taken a shortcut to get home. While walking, she had heard horse gallops and spotted five horses a couple miles away. So they were headed this way? Hyuna noticed they had swords with them. This could possibly turn out okay? Hyuna realized a pack of wolves were headed to the prince and his men’s way. Maybe Hyuna could have the wolves take them out, when they’ve fallen to the ground and when their horses had ran away.

 

       It wasn’t long until Hyuna’s idea had come to be. The pack of wolves had attacked the prince and his men while Hyuna was watching and waiting. She found this quite amusing. The wolves were already biting some of the knights’ limbs. Hyuna had noticed the prince was still conscious, but only half. That was when Hyuna went in action. She had found an abandoned sword by a now dead knight and had taken it.

       

She was able to fight off the wolves, surprisingly. Knights from the kingdom had come running and had taken a hold of Hyuna as she told her story. The prince and his men were riding until a pack of wolves attacked them and she was there at the perfect time and moment and so she decided to help. When the prince had woken up, Hyuna didn’t get the reward she had wanted though. Friendship from the prince was her reward. But maybe she could turn that friendship into something else?

       

Hyuna had left back home telling her story to her Father. He was happy to hear that she had saved a prince. He was also happy that Hyuna had found a friend and perhaps her first little crush. He was proud of her for helping someone. Hyuna had visited the prince almost every day and they both enjoyed each other’s company. Hyuna had discovered that this was the Metria Kingdom. What a pretty name for a kingdom, was what Hyuna had thought.

 

       Hyuna had grown older and was a bit worried to see Prince Kim Bum or Kim Sang Bum leave Metria to find a queen. Was she not enough? They were friends and she could’ve sworn that she was giving him signals. Perhaps he couldn’t see that she was his soulmate and queen. Because she could see that Kim Bum was her king and soulmate. Why couldn’t he though?

 

       One day, a girl who had come from the Ocobera Kingdom had arrived with her servants and maids. She was a pretty girl and was a princess, Princess Kim So Eun. She had light skin, dark brown hair, she had dark brown eyes with light brown specks, she had dark but light pink lips, and she seemed to be as tall as Hyuna. Hyuna knew she didn’t like the girl. She wanted her dead after she was announced Queen of Metria.

  

      Hyuna was invited to the wedding, of course. She had to be maid of honor since she couldn’t be a best man to Kim Bum. So Eun was fine with having Hyuna as the maid of honor and since she had rescued her husband, she might as well get to know her too. Even though the relationship was good between Hyuna and So Eun, it was all a lie and joke to Hyuna.

 

       Hyuna was just playing along as if she did like So Eun. Hyuna wanted her dead and would make sure she did die. Hyuna would have Kim Bum as her husband and as her king. She would be Queen of Metria, not So Eun.

 

       One day, when Hyuna was just wandering around in the deep sides of the woods, she had found a house, a black house with colorful lights coming inside, which she would tell from the windows. Hyuna had knocked on the door as if someone was after her. An old woman had answered and smiled deeply and allowed Hyuna in. Hyuna was quite confused and the only reason she was here was because she was curious. No real reason.

 

        “So, why am I here? Why did you allow me in?” Hyuna asked with curiosity as she looked down at the dark green tea in her couple and she could only wonder if it was poisonous or not.

  

      The old woman seemed to notice Hyuna’s look, “It’s not poisonous, and why would it be? Do you think I’m some kind of witch, young girl? Do you think I’d allow you in my home and then immediately kill you?”

 

        Hyuna snorted and noticed vials with blue, black, pink, and other colored liquids inside, “You seem like a witch of some kind. What are with all of those vials then? Some scientist, I believe?”

 

       The old woman nodded, “And so I am a witch, and no scientist. But I allowed you in because you are like me. You want something and so you play dirty to get it? Am I right?”

 

       Hyuna sighed deeply and nodded as she took a sip of the tea, it was quite tasty, “I do play dirty to get what I want and I will until I have it. I seek for power and victory. Nothing more, but…I want someone and something at the same time.”

      

  “Let me guess, by getting that someone, you’ll still get that something in the end no matter what, right?” The old woman asked with a bright smile. Now Hyuna was confused. She wanted power and Kim Bum. How could she have it all? It’d be very pleasant for her, but is that even possible?

  

      “What do you mean? How can I get both the things I want? Can I really have power and the person I really want to be with? If so, explain to me please how that can be,” Hyuna wondered what the woman was going to say.

 

       “You can kill the queen with the power you have and while the king is mourning you could swoop him off his feet and he’ll have to allow you to become his queen since you were there to comfort him and tell him nice and soothing things. He’ll have to make you his queen. Afterwards, if you’re ever bored of him, you could kill him and still be queen,” the old woman explained with specific facts and details that went perfectly together.

 

        “My power I have? I am no witch or wizard. I have no powers like a sorcerer or sorceress. I am a plain human girl,” Hyuna spoke sternly to the woman.

       

The old woman took a vial full of purple glowing liquid and held it out for Hyuna to take, and she did, “This will give you all the powers I have left of me. I am too old and can’t wander in this world. But since you’re still very young, you can continue, while I became a witch when I was 50 and now I can’t go on. Now, it is your turn. You turn the tables, you have everything you wanted. But…as everyone always says…magic has a price.”

      

  Hyuna raised an eyebrow, but had immediately put it to her lips and gulped it down quickly. She felt a bit strange, but once she closed her eyes and opened them once more, she wasn’t in the old woman’s house anymore. She was in her very own home. Was the witch dead? Was she dying, was that why she gave all the power she had to Hyuna? All that Hyuna knew was that she had powers and she smirked as she thought of the first thing to use it on. So Eun.

  

      “Hyuna,” Kim Bum had spoken softly as he held her hands in his, he smiled brightly, “Can you believe it? Eun is pregnant and I’m going to be a Father! It could be a baby boy or a baby girl…oh I don’t care, I just can’t wait! Nine months later, there’ll be an heir to Metria. Oh, Eun and I need to start thinking of names; the whole kingdoms need to hear about this!”

 

        Hyuna was angrier. She didn’t know anything about this. She was aware that now So Eun had taken her place, but she was upset now that they were going to have a child together and how Kim Bum was overly excited. Would he have been this excited if he found out that Hyuna was having his baby if she were his wife? She yearned to have a baby that belonged to her and him. She wanted to be with Kim Bum so bad.

  

      “I’m…happy for you, Bum. I really am,” Hyuna replied shortly. She wasn’t happy for them. She was angry. She was in rage. She wanted both So Eun and the prince or princess to be dead immediately. Perhaps…Hyuna could use her power to not only kill So Eun, but the baby too? Hyuna had decided to not spend time with So Eun during her pregnancy. It was when So Eun was on her 8th month, was when Hyuna had finally used her powers. She had made a tea that was poison.

 

       It wasn’t until August 21st was when So Eun was immediately rushed into the Infirmary where doctors and nurses were everywhere while King Kim Bum was outside with worry and fear. It was only her 8th month and she was giving birth already? Why couldn’t this have happened a couple days later? What if something was wrong with the baby? Hyuna hid her happiness. The poison was doing its job. The doctor had brought Kim Bum inside of the Infirmary, which made Hyuna all by herself outside of the room.

 

       “Dear…oh my God,” Kim Bum gasped as he saw how weak and sick So Eun looked. The baby was wailing in the small incubator that was only a couple inches from the bed that So Eun was on. She had pale skin, she had dark circles and eye bags, and her bones were popping out where her stomach was. Kim Bum was shocked. He had never seen this side of his wife.

        So Eun smiled, “It’s…it’s…Kibum,” That was the name they were going to give their baby if it was a boy. It was based on Kim Bum’s name, but instead of it being Kim Bum it was just Kibum and no Kim, just Ki. It was just Prince Kim Kibum of Metria.

 

       “What happened, Eun? What’s wrong? Are you okay? Are you sick or something?” Kim Bum asked with a worried tone, but smiled sadly with watery eyes as he approached his wife who looked almost dead.

 

       “They…they found poison in me…poison is what…they found…but it didn’t just affect me…but Bummie too,” So Eun pointed her finger at the wailing child who should’ve been fast asleep right now. Kim Bum realized why the baby wasn’t. He was in pain. It was because of the poison.

 

       “You both…are going…to be fine, right?” Kim Bum asked as he tried to brighten his smile, but it was rather impossible. One of them or maybe even both of them were going to die. Perhaps the baby since he’s still young?

 

       “They have an antidote…but it can only be for one of…of us,” So Eun whispered slowly and placed her hand on her husband’s cheek, Kim Bum took her hand and kissed it, “Give…give it to him…don’t…don’t allow…our child to die…because of poison...heal him…let him live…let him find love…and…let him give us grandchildren...” Those words made Kim Bum cry. So Eun was right. Why kill someone who didn’t get to experience life? Who didn’t get to love or have children at least? It was a hard decision, but allowing Kibum to live was the best choice.

 

       Kim Bum nodded and kissed he top of So Eun’s head and burst into tears, “We’ll…meet again, my love. I promise…we’ll get to meet each other once again…we will, I promise.”

       

“Goodbye…let Bummie…know who…I am,” So Eun’s wish pierced Kim Bum’s heart. Of course he’d tell the baby or son about his Mother he never got to know about. He’d never forget to tell Kibum about his Mother.

 

       On the date of Prince Kim Kibum of Metria was born, was the death of Queen Kim So Eun of Metria. Hyuna was upset of how the baby was still alive. Was this the price of killing the queen? Having the baby in her way? Having only a mere child blocking her and Kim Bum? No, Hyuna wouldn’t allow that. No child, especially Prince Kibum, would stop her from having the King of Metria as her king.  She’d have Kim Bum as hers, she would, and no one was going to stop her.

 

        It was four days after So Eun’s death, was when Hyuna decided to set up her plan. She had been greeted by maids and servants who were gloomy and it was all because of the queen’s death. Hyuna could just nod and pretend to be gloomier. When she asked them where the king was, they had answered, “In their child’s room,” Hyuna groaned since they were acting so dramatic. But surprisingly, those weren’t the only servants and maids talking about their child. They made some comments about the child too that Hyuna couldn’t and didn’t ignore.

 

        “Have you seen him?” One maid had asked a servant, the servant replied with confusion, “Him? King Kim Bum’s and Queen So Eun’s baby son? Why? Is there something wrong with him? I heard he was poisoned when he was born? Is he okay? Did it affect him?”

 

       The maid answered with a shocking tone, “He’s rather…beautiful.”

   

     The servant had chuckled lightly, “Aren’t all newborn children or babies considered as beautiful though? All parents say that and if any of us were to say bad things to the Prince of Metria we’d lose our heads.”

 

        “Indeed, that’s true, but have you face-to-face seen him? He’s what you call beautiful. He has so much of his Mother, especially the looks.”

  

      Hyuna seemed to wonder what the baby actually looked like. She didn’t really go to see him after his birth. It’s not that she didn’t have time, if anything she didn’t want to see the child that had been created by Kim Bum and So Eun. But these comments she kept hearing…it really got to her. But there was one thing she had heard from one of the maid’s as she almost entered Prince Kim Kibum’s nursery. This comment had made her want to kill someone, that’s how mad she was or in rage she was in.

 

       “His hair is as black as coal, lips as red as blood, skin as white as snow, and heart as fair as the fairest of them all,” The maid spoke, the words taunting Hyuna’s mind and heart.

 

        Hyuna had spotted Kim Bum immediately. He wasn’t holding his son in his hands, but he was looking at his son. He was standing up and looking where the edges of the crib was. Kim Bum and So Eun had chosen white as the color of the room since they didn’t want to choose pink if it was a boy or blue if it was a girl, white was the only color they had thought of that time. Hyuna approached him and wrapped her arms around his left arm and leaned on him.

 

       “He’s beautiful, isn’t he?” Kim Bum asked with an adoring look, he was referring to his child, but Hyuna hoped that maybe he was talking to her, but she wasn’t a boy, and she had just came and she was his friend.

 

        Hyuna cleared , “Um...Kim Bum, you’re still mourning, aren’t you? You’re still gloomy after her death, right? You do know that…So Eun doesn’t want that, don’t you? She wants you to be strong and to move on.”

 

       Kim Bum let go of gazing at his son and turned to face Hyuna and chuckled bitterly, “Move on? How am I supposed to do that? I loved her, Hyuna, I loved her to death and I wanted her to stay so we could die to together and have children together. I think she had wanted that too.”

 

       “I bet you did and I think she wanted that too, but that can’t happen and I don’t think she wants you gloomy, but she wants you happy. She wants you to…to stop mourning and start living happily again.”

  

      “How? How am I supposed to?” Kim Bum asked with confusion.

     

   “Maybe,” Hyuna spoke quietly and rubbed his arms with her hands, “You can move on and…find someone else to be with.” Kim Bum raised an eyebrow and turned to look back at his sleeping son.

  

      “What are you talking about, Hyun? Replace Bummie’s Mother, no, I can never do that. Even…even if I did want to, I just…I couldn’t. I lost my love, and the Mother to my child, and I can’t have someone else confuse him. He knows who his Mother is, and that’s…that’s So Eun, no one else but her. He’ll know and he’ll only be confused if another woman to enter our lives, it’s not worth it,” Kim Bum explained.

    

    Hyuna didn’t like his words. She knew now that he was too determined and strong. Her words and pleads or begging wouldn’t do anything or cause any effect on him. But…she couldn’t let go, not now. She was way too determined. She didn’t know why, but she knew what she had to do. She had to use her powers. And so, she did.

 

       “I understand,” Hyuna let go of his arms and smiled brightly, “I’ll visit you again tomorrow, be careful.” She didn’t say goodbye to the prince or king and she knew she probably should’ve.

  

      She exited the room and went downstairs. She didn’t leave the caste, but entered the kitchen. She held her hand out and moved it in front of her and all of the chiefs and assistants fell onto the floor she had lifted her pinky, a little treat for the people in the kitchen, erasing what they had just experienced. Hyuna used her fingers to control objects, including her mind.

 

       She opened a cabinet with a glass door, took out a porcelain cup and placed it on a marble counter. She took out a kettle from the bottom cabinets and poured hot water in it. She placed a teabag in there as the water allowed the tealeaves to settle in and turn the water a brownish color. She took out another porcelain cup. Hyuna approached the cup and took out a vial from her pocket and dumped the smoky rosy pink liquid into the cup.

 

        She took the kettle and poured tea into the cup full of pink rosy liquid and the smoke went up and formed a heart and crown. She smirked in response and took a spoon and the kettle, having the kettle form into a piece of paper and the spoon forming into a pen. She had taken the pen in her hand and scrawled some stuff on the paper and laid the paper beside the tea and exited out of the kitchen.

 

       It was almost midnight when a knight had come to Hyuna’s and her Father’s home, saying that the king requested to see Hyuna. Mr. Kim had questioned the knight, but Hyuna had told him that it’d be perfectly fine. Mr. Kim felt hesitant as he allowed Hyuna to follow the knight. Hyuna had walked while the knight rode his horse. Hyuna predicted that Kim Bum had finally gone to his senses and chose to move on, like how she wanted.

 

       Hyuna didn’t need anyone to go with her or her as she passed the child’s room and entered Kim Bum’s and So Eun’s bedroom. She spotted the king sitting at the edge of the bed and glaring at her. Hyuna understood the stare and she liked it. He was ready to pounce on her and devour her. He must’ve gotten the tea and affected him the way she had wanted him to be affected.

 

       “Hyuna,” Kim Bum whispered deeply, which Hyuna found handsomely, “I want…you to stay with me,” Hyuna flinched when she noticed that she wasn’t looking and as Kim Bum approached her and wrapped his arms around her waist and leaned towards her ear and whispered, “I want you…to be my queen…my lover…my wife.”

 

        On August 25th, a new queen was brought to Metria. Kim Hyuna was crowned as the Queen of Metria. She had worn a long and wide golden dress that was made by famous and professional seamstresses, and the silver glimmering shoes cost probably thousands, but she was queen, so she could afford it. Her Father was there, but he looked a bit…disappointed and sad. Hyuna noticed it, but tried to cheer him up with, “Daddy, I’m a queen,” or “Father, I’m finally married!” or even, “You’re going to have grandchildren,” but that didn’t cheer him up, and so Hyuna ignored him the whole coronation. Afterwards, like what Hyuna wanted, she had her wedding night and spent it all night with her husband.

 

        It was once Prince Kibum lived for 3 years, was when Hyuna knew for sure that he didn’t like her at all. Kibum would always cry whenever she held him. All the maids, servants, and his Father could pick him up and not earn wails or cries from the child, except for Hyuna. It was as if she was a ghost or goblin.

  

      Hyuna was now watching 3 year old Kibum and 6 year old Prince Choi Siwon from the kingdom called Zena. They were in Kibum’s nursery, Prince Siwon and Prince Kibum had placed a blanket over the fake castle that they were inside of right now, giggling and speaking a language they only knew.

 

       Hyuna raised an eyebrow and approached the castle. She didn’t enter it, but she listened clearly. She overheard little Siwon was saying something about being the prince while Kibum being Snow White. Hyuna felt annoyed as she heard that name. Fairytales. But by that maid’s comment and after looking at Kibum herself, he did seem like a male Snow White. She could see the resemblance.

   

     Hyuna cleared and took off the blanket, little Siwon and Kibum ran out of the castle while gasping and looking at whom took their blanket off. Hyuna could only brightly smile at them and she had frowned once she saw little Kibum look scared and hid behind little Siwon. Kibum was scared of her. This was both a gift and curse, she had been trying to win over the boy’s heart but at least she knew that he wouldn’t get in her way.

 

       Little Siwon stepped forward and tilted his head, “Hello…Auntie, um, do you…need something?” Hyuna had overheard that the Choi’s had raised their children in a good environment. She had heard that the prince knew so much more grammar than other children his age did. She had heard that Princess Jiwon was already learning how to write her name, Siwon’s younger sister.  In conclusion, the Choi royal children were smarter than other children.

 

       Hyuna placed her hands on her hips and looked into Siwon’s eyes, “Bummie has an appointment today with the doctor, and I just came to take him. Come on Kibum, we should get going now.” It was the truth and lie. Kibum had an appointment, but his nanny was supposed to bring him.

 

       Kibum wrapped his arms around little Siwon, Siwon replied back, “Will…will Bummie be coming back?”

 

        Hyuna chuckled lightly, this was amusement, the prince and little Snow White separating, “No, Bummie will be back and will need to take his nap once he gets back. I think you’ll be leaving quite soon, other prince.”

 

       Siwon nodded and turned around and pulled Kibum into a hug and whispered, “I’ll see you soon.” Hyuna could hear little sniffles, meaning Kibum was in the urge of tears.

 

       “Come on Bummie, we don’t want to be late,” Hyuna broke the silence in a demanding way, Siwon let go and Kibum walked slowly towards Hyuna. The two toddlers waved at each other before they couldn’t see each other anymore.

 

       Kibum had come back being diagnosed as a healthy child. No disease or sickness. Hyuna had escorted the young prince to his nursery and had tucked him in bed, but Kibum didn’t speak a word. He just stared at her. Hyuna knew what hid behind those dark eyes, he was scared of her. Hyuna thought perhaps he was the only child scared of her, but she noticed Siwon’s face. He seemed scared of her. Did young children know what witches or wizards were?

  

      In Kibum’s now 13 years of life, young Prince Siwon hadn’t come back, and Hyuna had witnessed that. Hyuna had also noticed something different about Kim Bum. He and his son had gotten too close and Kim Bum barely had time for her. Hyuna couldn’t believe she was jealous of a child, and she knew…she couldn’t allow this.

 

       Hyuna sat at the edge of hers and Kim Bum’s bed as he took of his boots, he and Kibum had been riding all day, “Bum, why spend so much less time with me and not Kibum? Doesn’t he have maids and servants to play with?”
 

       Kim Bum tilted his head, what was wrong because he was confused, “What are you talking about? I need to spend time with my son before he goes independent.”

 

        “Yes, but maybe that’s what he needs. He won’t have you when he becomes king, will he? He is 13; I think independence is what he needs to start working on!” Hyuna snapped.

 

       “Hyuna, understand that…I’m his Father and if he ever needs me, I’ll be there,” Kim Bum said gently and softly.

 

That is if you’re alive when he needs you, Hyuna thought.

 

“Understand that, he’s my son,” Kim Bum said with a little anger in his voice. He entered the bathroom and slammed the door. He was upset and so was Hyuna. She felt like her skin was burning and so was her soul.

 

It was the night of Kibum’s 14th birthday, was when Hyuna had put her new plan in action. She was lying beside her husband and looking at her right while he was facing his left. They both hadn’t talked to each other yet. The heir from Zena still hadn’t come, but he had a servant drop of a gift. It was an apple. Hyuna found it quite weird and thought of the gift as stupid.

 

Hyuna could hear her husband snoring quietly and sleeping peacefully, he was asleep for sure. Hyuna wasn’t asleep though. She was just waiting. She sat up on her bed and looked at her husband. She drew a knife out of her nightgown’s sleeve and held it above her husband and didn’t yet stab him. She felt uneasy, but she allowed the blade to touch her husband’s skin, multiple times. Blood was all over her face and nightgown. She had stabbed him 10 times.

 

She ran to the window and opened it and took the blankets and threw them onto the floor and the knife too. She wouldn’t have power if she was caught killing her own husband. Once it looked as if someone climbed from the window, took their knife and stabbed the king and then hurried quickly that they messed up the blankets and then ran out the same way he came in. She then started to scream.

 

It wasn’t long until maids and servants ran in with confusion and worry on their faces. Hyuna continued to scream and burst into tears. These were both fake and real tears. She felt regret. She felt sad. She felt mad. She was in rage. She had killed her own husband and she didn’t know that she’d miss him once she lost him.

 

Kibum had also entered since his room was right next to theirs. He gasped deeply and fat wet tears fell from his eyes and landed on the floor he was standing on. He passed the servants, maids, and ignored Hyuna. He took his bloody Father’s body in his arms and held him tightly. He lost his Mother on his birthday and he had lost his Father, on his birthday too.

 

King Kim Sang Bum of Metria was officially announced dead on August 25th, but died on the night of August 21st Kibum was devastated. Hyuna was too, but she was a bit happy, which made her disgusted. Kibum couldn’t handle letting his Father go. So he was the last one there and a servant holding an something over him, to keep him from getting soaked, but Kibum had told him to go and so the servant went.

 

It was a year after Kim Bum’s death, was when Hyuna had taken a mirror and had placed it in her chambers.  She made sure all of So Eun’s and Kim Bum’s stuff was burnt since she didn’t want anyone bringing their name up, it’d be too sad and she wouldn’t be able to handle it all. Hyuna was a widow. Hyuna was the queen. Hyuna was a stepmother. Hyuna…was the ruler.

 

“Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?”