chapter 3 - Past, Present, and Future

Suju's Oneshots Collection

 

yewon, slight!kyumin, slight!eunhae, broken!kanghyuk, hanmi, friendship, romance

***

 

In this kind of world, there were some peoples that had a big and important role on your life...

Yesung’s POV

I met them in my first year in middle school. That wasn’t such a drama where the main character had a feeling that he met his partner in crime on the first sigh. That wasn’t like that. It was more like the time that would prove that.

On the first months, we were just going in our own path. The path where we hadn’t met each other. But became a classmate, our path found their own way to meet in one point.

Their friends were mine, too. And that increased our frequent of meeting. But that was all, we haven’t found a point to become close friends that time. But, along the times, and problems of course, we realized that it was right to become bestfriend in first place.

And here we are, 4 years later, still hung on our precious friendship.

We have a different characters, me with my weird act as people said. Eunhyuk, with his innocent and kind heart. And last Zhoumi, the one that has a bubbly personality that sometimes went beyond our imagination.

My role was as a energetic person. Where I might not showed my weakness, even to Eunhyuk and Zhoumi. I was a type where I would cry by myself if I couldn’t hold my tears anymore. I just showed my bright side to everyone. I remembered once time when Yunho, one of my friends told me.

“You know Yesung, if there were a time you cry, maybe I would cry along with you. I can’t imagine you cry at all,” he said to me.

I smiled slightly by his statement, ‘if only you know that I cried everynight, you wouldn’t say that..’

Zhoumi’s role as the one that brightened our daily life, comforted us when he felt that something wrong about us. But as me, he was a type that never showed his tears. Just an anger and stubborness sometime. And in the some chances, he had his mood swing. I hate it if he were in that condition.

Eunhyuk, you could call him as the most innocent among us. He always did everything that he thought was the best for us. He shared everything that he had to us. Never wanted a return even a bit. He was sensitive and soft-hearted, of course. And he always be the good listener, gave me advice when i needed it.

We never compete to each other. We were special on our own way, we knew that completely. We completed each other, that was why everything going smoothly these years. We were never getting into a big fight, and I was grateful for that. Having both of them by my side was the most precious thing that I had.

“What are you thinking about?” Zhoumi asked me curiously. We were in middle lunch in our favourite cafe.

“Just about us..” I answered.

Zhoumi raised his brows, while Eunhyuk just looked at me carefully.

I sighed,” I just don’t want to lose our friendship, even when we’re going to different way. And someday we would find our own path. I’m afraid that it would separate us.”

Zhoumi giggled,” Silly, of course we won’t. Some day, the years later, we’re going to around the world. Explore every place that we just dreaming about now. Just three of us.”

I rolled my eyes. Zhoumi was bubbly as usual. But I loved his idea.

Eunhyuk smiled slightly. He sipped his strawberry milkshake slowly.

“You look happy, Hyukkie. What’s going on?” I asked Eunhyuk.

He blushed, “I officially date Kang-in last night.” He looked down, hid his embarrasment. That was so adorable.

I moved to his side and gave him a big hug. I was really glad he could date Kang-in out. For me and Zhoumi that didn’t matter that Eunhyuk date a man. We were same kind of person at all.

“I’m glad to hear that, Hyukkie. Congrats,” I smiled to him.

Zhoumi wrapped his arm around Eunhyuk’s shoulder and smiled widely.

The atmosphere was bright. But then a ringtone of a phone that be heard surprised us.

“Wait a minute,” I told them.

“Yeobeoseyo,” I talked to my phone.

“Yesungie!” the man in the line shouted. I moved my phone further from my ear.

“Stop shouting, Sungmin. I don’t want to be deaf earlier,” I said jokingly.

“I’m sorry, Yesung. I just want to tell you a good news,”he said anxiously.

“What news, Min?”

“I date out Kyuhyun. He confessed me,”I could hear a happiness in his voice.

I choked, a knive stabbed on my heart. I turned my face aside, didn’t want to show my bestfriend a tear that formed in my eyes.

Sungmin was my closefriend in class. The one that I knew for the first time I entered my high school. We became closer, of course wasn’t as close as me with Zhoumi and Eunhyuk. We had a crush to the same person, Kyuhyun. He was a sweet and gentle person. The thing that made me fell for him. But what could I do, when my close friend, felt the same toward him. I just could back off. As usual. It wasn’t my first time to give way to my friend. This case happened many times. But I prefer to keep what I felt by myself than I have to face the fact where I risking on losing my friend.

I took a deep breath, tried to sound normal.

“Congratulation, Sungmin. You must be really happy,” I said half-heartedly.

Sungmin laugh,” Of course I am. Thanks Yesung, for your help to get Kyuhyun’s heart for me.”

“Yeah, of course.”

I hung up and smiled bitterly. I was so stupid. I always regret the  times when I lost a person that I loved just because of myfriends. Ironnically, I helped them to get the man I loved, instead.

“Are you okay?” Eunhyuk asked me in concern.

I smiled slightly and nodded. My eyes getting hot.

“I have to back home now. I need to go to my cousin’s home,” I said as I stood up. I knew that wasn’t stupid thing for lying to my bestfriend. But no, I wouldn’t show them my weakness.

“Okay, we’ll walk by you,” Zhoumi said.

I shook my head,”No, I’d be okay.”

I left them, knew that they curious about me. But I couldn’t let them saw my cry.

I arrived in my house in half of hour. I slammed my door, slipped onto my floor. My back leaned against the door as I hugged my self tightly. My body was trembling as the tears run on my face.

It was hurt, so much. If my heart was made by a glass, I was sured that it broke into small pieces right now. I cried in silent. Let out the pain that I felt inside my heart. I walked toward my room, climbed onto the bed and lied my self. I opened my diary, looked at Kyuhyun’s picture. The same that I took for Sungmin. I know it was wrong, to gave up before started. But I was too coward to admit my feeling. I my i-pod. Listen to the music as I cried loud. I couldn’t breath, as I remember everything backward. If only I showed my feeling toward Kyuhyun, if only I confessed him, if only I had a second chance. But no, it just my mindless dreaming, if only just useless at all...

***

Eunhyuk’s POV

I know something wrong about Yesung. Although he didn’t told us, I know that there was something about him. I could see a hurt in his eyes. I knew him so well. We were bestfriends for the years for God’s sake.

He never showed us his sadness. He always as bright and warm as sun in the morning. I turned to face Zhoumi, I knew he felt the same thing as me. But none of us, speak it out.

“Maybe it’s time to back home,” Zhoumi broke the silent.

I nodded,”Okay.”

“Do we need go home together?” Zhoumi asked.

“No, I’ll ask Kang-in to pick me up. Is it okay?” I said.

Zhoumi nodded. I know that he was worried about Yesung as I felt. He stood up, waved his hand as he left me alone.

I texted Kang-in to pick me up, looked outside as I sipped my milkshake. ‘I’ll call Yesung tonight’, I thought. He had to stop his strong act. I know that he just pretended it.

A hand patted my shoulder, surprised me. I looked up and smiled to Kang-in that stood beside me.

I loved this man so much. I knew him from the YM. I loved chatting and surfing in the net world. Glad that I got my beloved boyfriend because of that.

He took a seat in front of me.

“Have you eat?” I asked him. His gaze absorbed me when he smiled and nodded his head.

“Where’s your friend?” he asked me.

“They’re home,” I told him.

His presence warmed my heart. I couldn’t hold my heart beating fast.

“Let’s go home then,” he asked.

We left the cafe, I want to reach his hand and held in. But I hesitanted, what if he didn’t like it. What if he didn’t want people knew that his lover was a guy. That thought stuck in my mind.

I gasped as a hand grabbed mine. I look at him, Kang-in smiled and squeezed my hand lightly. Butterflies flew on my stomach as I blushed.

A warm that wrapped my hand moved to entire of my body.

***

Zhoumi’s POV

I sighed as I left Eunhyuk alone. I thought that it would be a good day, especially for Eunhyuk. When Eunhyuk happy, me and Yesung would happy as well.

But that was wrong. I know that people considered me as a self-centered and carefree person. But I swore that I realized something wrong about Yesung. Although I didn’t know why, and I had no courage to ask him.

I just felt like I didn’t want to get involved at the other’s life although they were my bestfriends, because sometimes I didn’t want them to their nose into my life, too.

I know that was wrong for being not open to your bestfriends, but I couldn’t deny that I didn’t like they got further into my problems.

I just want to be a wind that comforted others people but invisible in sight, so they couldn’t reach into me. Honestly, that was true. I was wind for another reason, too. I couldn’t stay remain in one thing for a long time. I changed my direction wherever I wanted to. I could become a small hurrican sometimes, when I upset about something.

Yesung was another case. You could called him a rigid rock. Yeah, he could be a brat and stubborn sometimes, but the rest he could be your supporter when you need.

Eunhyuk was water. He calmed and stayed in is path. Sometimes he splashed out, but it just happened when it was caused by the wind and the rock, me and Yesung.

And that we were. Three different characters, three different personalities, three different stories, but involved in one of the life’s path.

I stopped in second by the sight in front of me. There he was, a most handsome man that standing before me. Hankyung.

People said that he was a best choice of lover. He was gentle toward everyone, he was kind-hearted, he was a definition for a perfect guy that everyone wanted to be.

I could say that I was the luckiest person in the world. The reason behind my statement would made you envy me. I was sured about that when I told you that Hankyung was fell for me. I wasn’t kidding, I swore! He was the one that confessed to me the months ago.

But you also could call me the most stupid person in the world. Why? Because above everything, I haven’t answered him yet. (Stop yell at me!!) I admit that I was a jackass. I know that it was stupid for hung his feeling like this. But what could I do?

I know that he was serious about me. But as I’ve told you before, I was a wind-like. What if when once we got in relationship, I changed my direction. That I felt we didn’t suit each other. That I thought he was too good for me to keep. That I thought I would find another better person. That my feeling toward him would change. I was afraid about that all possibilities.

Yeah, I admitted that I had a feeling toward him. Who wouldn’t, for God’s sake? He always there for me when I needed. He didn’t mind that I hung him so long, he didn’t mad when I attracted to another person sometimes. He was patient in waiting for me. So what’s wrong about me? I wondered that by my self.

“Hey,” he greeted me as he approached me. Gave me his sweet smile that could made people melted in second.

I smiled widely, all my worries were gone as I faced his bright face. His gaze, I could see a love there. A genuine love for me. I was a jerk for treatening him like this. He deserved got a person better than me. But I couldn’t deny that that thought annoyed me. I couldn’t imagine him with another person but me. But when he smiled, I know that there was no need to worry. He loved me so much, that was so obvious.

***

Normal POV

Yesung fell asleep after the long cry. He was so exhausted. Physically and mentally.

A phone’s ringtone woke him up. He reached for his cellphone. Dialled the answer button.

“Yeobeoseyo,” he greeted.

“Sungie,”Eunhyuk greeted him back.

“Hyukkie..” Yesung said softly in his husky voice.

“Are you okay?”Yesung could hear a worry in Eunhyuk’s voice.

Yesung smiled slightly, glad that Eunhyuk concerned about him.

“I’m okay Hyukkie, don’t worry,” Yesung said. There was no need to made his friend worried.

“Are you sure?”Eunhyuk asked.

“Yes, I am,” Yesung answered in a tone that he wanted to end that topic.

Eunhyuk sighed,”Okay, then. I just want you to know that me and Zhoumi always here for you.”

And that was it. That sentence broke Yesung’s self-shield. The tears started run in his eyes in silent.

Yeah, Eunhyuk was right, Yesung thought. His bestfriends would always be there for him. Even when he lost his love, he didn’t lose Eunhyuk and Zhoumi.

These tears, it wasn’t because of sadness anymore. It was filled by happiness right now. Happiness that caused by his bestfriends.

“Yeah, I know...” Yesung said.

***

“I thought I have to leave now,” Hankyung said to Zhoumi.

“Don’t you want to sleep over?” Zhoumi asked. He was alone in his house. so there wouldn’t be a problem if Hankyung stayed there.

Hankyung shook his head. Zhoumi understand that. Hankyung couldn’t do that such of thing even if he wanted to when there wasn’t clarity about their relationship.

“Bye then,” Zhoumi said as Hankyung exit his house.

***

Eunhyuk looked his phone. He was sured that Yesung just cried. His voice sound a bit huskier than usual.

He knew he couldn’t force Yesung to admit that. It would make everything getting worst. And he had a clear-mind enough to not make everything harder for Yesung.

There was always problem on each of them. He was so grateful that his problem never getting as complicated as Yesung’s and Zhoumi’s.

Yesung with his doubtness about his self and his feeling. Zhoumi with his fear of love. If he could be honest, his life was going smoothest among three of them.

Yeah, he had a problem. But that were just common problems. A little fight with his parents, his siblings, and his boyfriend. But that’s all. The rest were okay for him.

Eunhyuk lied his self. Dialled some number, then waited for the answer.

“Yeobeoseyo,”the man in other line greeted.

“Zhoumi...” Eunhyuk greeted him back.

“What’s going on, Hyukkie?”

“About tomorrow, Yesung, we should act as usual, okay? Don’t mention anything about what happened today. Wait for him to tell us by his self. Arasso?”

“Arasso,”Zhoumi answered,”I know something happened. Do you know something?”

Eunhyuk sighed,”I have some expectations. But I’m not sure is it right or not. Just act normal okay? Don’t bother him even he looked different.”

“Yeah, goodnight. I’m kind of sleepy,”Zhoumi said.

“Goodnight,” Eunhyuk hung up the call.

***

Zhoumi’s POV

His eyes were red and puffy. Yesung I meant. But his act just as usual. He touched my philtrum(I really didn’t understand this weird habit of his>o<) when we met this morning. I just could shake my head lightly.

But I was happy that he greeted me with a wide smile. Just as usual. His eyes, although they were a bit swollen, glowing in excitement. I smiled as well.

“Morning, hyung,” I . I know that he didn’t really like me or Eunhyuk called him like that. He always said me and Eunhyuk just younger for a couple months, no need to made him looked old.

“Stop it,” Yesung pouted. It was so amused me. I really wanted to pinch his rosy cheek.

We walked toward my and Eunhyuk’s class. Unfortunately we weren’t in same class. Yesung’s class was different while me and Eunhyuk were in the same class.

Eunhyuk was there. He always the one that came earlier than me and Yesung. I could see that he noticed Yesung’s eyes. But he kept silent and just gave us a sweet smile.

***

Eunhyuk’s POV

As I thought. That red eyes of yesung proved that he cried last night. But as I told Zhoumi, I wouldn’t mention it even a bit.

“Morning, Hyukkie,” Yesung greeted me. As Zhoumi just smiled at me.

“Morning,” I greeted back.

I was relieved that Yesung’s voice and tone were as usual. He used his cheerful tone. That meant that he was in usual-mode. It would be better to see him in that mode than in gloomy-mode.

We spent some times to chit-chat. I had a feeling that Yesung didn’t want to come to his class early. But it was okay. I loved to talk to my bestiest anyways.

***

Yesung’s POV

I knew I couldn’t spend all my time in their class. Bell would ring soon. No matter what happened I should back to my class over all.

I was glad that they didn’t say anything about my eyes. I knew that my eyes were red and puffy, I have prepared excuse to them if they asked. That I awake all night, read my new novel. Fortunately they didn’t say anything about that.

“I need to go, now. See you guys at lunch,” I said as I waved goodbye for them.

Eunhyuk waved me back as Zhoumi just nodded. I walked slowly, wished that something happened that made all classes canceled today. Like alien’s attack or that some war declared in the school. I slapped my self on my mind. That was the result for watching too much action and sci-fi movie.

I reached my class in minutes and met a sight that I really didn’t want to watch. Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

I sighed as I entered in my class. Hoped everything would be okay. That I could manage my self for not tearing up here

***

Normal POV

They day passed as usual. Each of them had their own activies. But that didn’t prevent them to hang out together.

There were some days when they couldn’t gather together. But that was okay, thanks to the modern technology.

That was one of those days.

Yesung was sitting by his self on the park bench. Sipped his black coffe slowly. Eunhyuk was in date with Kang-in, as Zhoumi was going to play basketball with Hankyung.

Yesung knew that he needed to give them private time with their boyfriends. Although Zhoumi wasn’t admitted Hankyung as his boyfriend, his act showed the opposite. Everyone always considered them as couple.

Yesung was glad that Hankyung had a will for waiting Zhoumi. Yesung shooked his head. Zhoumi must be really stupid if he rejected Hankyung after all that happened. If that were happened in the future, he would knocked Zhoumi’s head by himself to woke his sense up for letting Hankyung go. But he was sured that Zhoumi would realized he loved Hankyung sooner or later.

Yesung sighed. These recent days everything going smoothly. Although sometimes he felt a sting of pain in his heart whenever he saw Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

But he could bear it at least. He felt a warm liquid in his cheek. He didn’t realize that he was crying in silent. He thought that everything was okay, but why in sudden he teared up again.

A handkerchief was hold out in front of his face. He looked up and saw a most handsome man that he ever saw. He showed him his dimples when he smiled.

“You can use this,” the man said to Yesung. His voice was so gentle in Yesung’s ear. He couldn’t take his eyes of the man.

Yesung reached the handkerchief slowly, hesitanted. But the man smiled, reassured him. When he smiled, Yesung could feel a smile formed in his face, too.

“Are you okay?” the man asked in concern.

Yesung just nodded.

“Anyway, my name is Choi Siwon. What’s yours?” he asked.

“Kim Jongwoon. But you can call me Yesung,” Yesung said.

Siwon frowned for a second, then smile sweetly to Yesung.

Yesung, didn’t know why, but he thought that everything would be better as he saw Siwon’s smile.

***

“I have decided,” Zhoumi said. As he wipped the sweats in his forehead.

“About what?” Hankyung asked before drank a water in his hand.

“That I’ll try to date you,” Zhoumi said unhesitantly.

“Eh?!” Hankyung choked. Couldn’t believe what he just heard.

Zhoumi patted Hankyung’s back, “As you heard, I agree to date you, if you still wanted it of course.”

“Of course I want to. Are you serious?” Hankyung asked anxiously.

Zhoumi nodded. Hankyung hugged him tightly in second. He was really happy that time. So did Zhoumi. He could a warmth filled his heart as Hankyung embraced him. And he just knew that he made the right decision.

***

But everything never always going okay. If there were a new pair, in the other hand there were a broken pair.

The months past, Yesung officially date Siwon for three months after he met Siwon. Hankyung and Zhoumi was officially dating two months before them.

But for Eunhyuk, it was his first time he felt his life so complicated.

He lost contact of Kang-in almost a month. He didn’t answer his calls and messages. He always told Eunhyuk that he was busy. Eunhyuk noticed that the time where they reached the ending would come. But he never thought that it would come when they reached a first year of their relationship.

It was just like that. Kang-in called him one night. Told him that everything didn’t work for both of them. That he tired of denying his feeling. That he couldn’t find Eunhyuk as the same person that he met in the first time. Eunhyuk in the other hand was ready for this. But that didn’t prevent him for crying for the end of their relationship. So that was all. They just broke up like that.

The first thing he did after Kang-in hung up, he called Zhoumi and Yesung. His bestfriends came as soon as possible as they heard Eunhyuk crying. Although Eunhyuk didn’t say anything, they knew what happened.

Eunhyuk was so grateful that his friends accompanied him. He cried lot in Yesung’s embrace as Zhoumi patted his back. Zhoumi cursed Kang-in many times, but Yesung stopped him. Did that thing didn’t change anything afterall.

The minutes passed by. Eunhyuk fell asleep after the long cry. Yesung lied beside him, as Zhoumi lied in the other said. Both of them wrapped their arms around Eunhyuk. Wished the youngest would felt better.

***

If there were sadness, then there were also happiness...

Eunhyuk moved on by the help of Zhoumi and Yesung. Even from Siwon and Hankyung. He never got jealous because of Yesung and Zhoumi had their own pair. It didn’t bother him at all. Over all, their friendship was more precious than anything.

Along the time passed, his wound was healed. He could smile genuinely from his heart. And he met another man. The man that made the butterflies fly over his stomach whenever they met. Lee Donghae. And that was the start line of his new happiness.

***

It was six years after their first met. They all cried in the high school graduation. Hugged each other in happiness. Their lovers came of course. Made their happiness tenfold better.

They also cried because of the fact that they finally arrived in the point where they were going to go in their own way, different way.

But that wouldn’t change their promise to be bestfriends for ever. They were always bestfriends at all. In the past, the present, and the future.

That was they were for. To hold their bestfriends in the good, as well as, bad times. Together to face the world that waited for them.

Together and forever....