SEVEN

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the day off Chanyeol had been waiting for. They had agreed to let them have a day off and Chanyeol wanted to get back to his house and be by Miyoung’s side as fast as possible. The medic told him he should rest in the ward but he told the doctor he’ll be alright. Chanyeol tried to reason with the doctor as he threw in dozens of reasons. Seeing his undying effort, the medic decided to let him go. So after wrapping up his broken arm in a cast, the doctor sent him off.

            Chanyeol wanted to give Miyoung a call first but then he thought he should give her a surprise. Miyoung didn’t know about this anyway and he could already imagine how happy she would be when she sees him. He went back to his camp and got changed into a simple plain green shirt and comfortable trousers. He quickly tossed his personal belongings into his backpack and hitched the first taxi he saw.

            After an hour or two, Chanyeol wasn’t sure. He had lost track of time as all he could think of was Miyoung. The taxi turned left into a familiar lane. It was fall season. The streets were full of yellowish and orange leaves. And a gentle breeze was blowing. The park which used to be their favourite spot is now full of couples walking around as the leaves flew one by one in the breeze. Chanyeol’s eyes shone as he looked at them and he felt envious. But soon, really soon, he would be reunited with the one he loved, Miyoung.

            Chanyeol thanked the driver, paid him and stepped out of the vehicle with his backpack slung on one shoulder. He stood there by the roadside for a moment as the taxi sped past behind him. He inhaled the fresh air sharply and sighed. It was good to be home again. Even the air smells different. Slinging the backpack onto his other shoulder, he headed towards his house down the road.

            He stood on the porch as he took a long look at his little house. He pushed opened the gate gently. The familiar squeak of the hinges made him smile. He didn’t bother to knock the door before he walked in. He took his time to look at the once familiar surroundings. Once again, he breathed in. The scent of both of his and Miyoung’s still lingered. He smiled. But then he suddenly realized the house had been too quiet. He wondered if Miyoung’s still asleep.

            “Miyoung?” he called out, “I’m back!” He expected to see her running out of the bedroom, squealing as she saw him standing there and ran into his wide open arms. But there was no answer. He was alone in the empty little house. Chanyeol dropped his backpack onto the couch and fished out his cellphone and punched in Miyoung’s phone number.

            Beep…beep… He tapped his feet. No answer. Strange, where could she have gone to at this early hour? Chanyeol thought, he knew Miyoung doesn’t like waking up early during weekends. He called the second time. This time, music came from the bedroom they had shared. Instinctively, Chanyeol walked towards it and found Miyoung’s cellphone lying on her nightstand. Thousands of thoughts ran through his mind. What could have happened that Miyoung left her phone at home? He slipped the phone back into his pocket, grabbed a jacket from the drawer and went out. He decided to take a walk in their favourite park as he run things through in his mind.

            The cool breeze caressed his face as he walked leisurely in the park with one of his hand shoved into his jacket pockets while the other one couldn’t quite feel the cold being wrapped inside of the cast. The breeze was cooling and relaxing. Chanyeol should really clear his mind during the leisure walk but too many things were crowded in that head of his. He had thought of all the possibilities of where Miyoung might be but sometimes he doesn’t trust his own instin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter