The Ceremony

With Time

 

The day of the ceremony arrived quickly.

Gwiboon was up at dawn, her family helping her prepare.  A milk bath scented with lavender was followed by expensive oils for her hair.  The whole morning occupied with beautification rituals and laughter.  Her siblings and cousins gathered around to give her advice and encouragement, the love and support was such a comfort to her.  Despite her nerves, she was happy.  Her hair was pinned tight and the dress even tighter, making her look dainty and beautiful.  Intricate designs covered her hands and arms and gold rings and bangles adorned every inch of her body.  She struggled to recognize the reflection staring back at her.   

 

Her stomach fluttered with anticipation as her father gave her one final kiss, reassuring her with his worn smile.  

 

The hall was overflowing with flowers and colorful ribbons, decorations to celebrate such a joyous occasion.  It looked beautiful, but she barely noticed, her eyes too focused on catching glimpses of the man beside her.   

 

He looked like a cut out of one of her childish fantasies.  He stood tall and proud, not giving away a single hint of emotion.  She felt so small, so inadequate beside him.  As if she were an imposter, a fraud.  He looked so assured while she was shaking with anxiety.  

 

She pressed her shaky palms against her sides, taking her place beside him.  Rather than focusing on how scared she was, she tried to lose herself in the ceremony.  

 

She had always loved weddings, the colors, the symbolism, the rituals; the beautiful words.  Most of all, she had enjoyed the tangible joy as two families merged into one.  As a girl, she had dreamed of her own wedding, how she would look, how she would feel beside her husband.  Her childhood self hadn’t accounted for how terrifying it could be.   

 

Their hands brushed as they raised the mirror together and her heart stuttered.  His skin was warm and soft, sending shivers through her whole body.  She lifted her eyes, meeting his gaze in the glass to find orbs that were equally as warm and soft.  Her stomach danced with nerves as she saw the face of her husband for the first time.  She didn’t note a single thing about his appearance in those brief moments.  All she could recall was the fear that mirrored her own, shining in his eyes.  

 

And like a dream, suddenly… it was all over.  

 

She was married.  

 

 


I promise, they won't alllllll be short like this

for some reason these first few parts are just breaking up really nicely into these tiny chunks
the next part is short as well
but after that... we get some dialog!!!!!!!  ^^