The Cold

With Time

 

The weather grew cold.

 

Usually Gwiboon enjoyed the winter, it meant cozy evenings in front of the fireplace, hot tea and heavy blankets.  It was a pleasant atmosphere that she tried to enjoy to its fullest.  However, the poor weather combined with the thin walls of their home meant the chill crept under her skin and stayed there, unwavered by her woolen clothes or their small hearth.  

 

Because of this, Gwiboon became ill.  

 

It was nothing serious, a small cough and an even smaller fever.  The doctor said a day or two in bed combined with some herbal medicine and she would be fine.  Gwiboon’s mother still fretted, coming over to care for her while Jinki was at work.

 

Even Jinki’s mother had stopped by, bringing food and some heavy blankets.  Gwiboon was grateful.  It was a thoughtful gesture and a true help in her current condition.  It was clear that Jinki took after his mother, she was kind, generous and all-around easy to like.  Gwiboon was grateful for that too.  

 

Somewhere between the spoonfuls of soup and the mothering touches, she fell asleep.  She awoke however, to Jinki’s soothing fingers combing through her hair and a cool cloth dabbing at her skin.  

 

“Are you feeling better?” Jinki murmured, looking at her with such affection and concern that it made her ache.  

 

“A bit,” She responded.  “Did you already eat?  Your mother prepared food for us.”

 

“I did.  Can I get you something?  Water?  Tea?  Porridge?” Jinki pressed, placing the cloth back into the basin and setting it aside.  

 

“Some water,” she requested.  She was lucky to have such a considerate man as her husband.  At first, it had been uncomfortable for her when Jinki had offered to do things that were considered women’s work.  She had mistaken his motives for something hurtful.  As if he were suggesting she was so incompetent at caring for him that he had to do things for himself.  She realized now how silly she had been.  She had confused consideration for insult.  He did not think ill of her but treasured her so much he wished to help her and care for her like she so often did for him.  

 

Jinki smiled, lifting himself off the bed and slipping out of the room only to return moments later with a cup of water.  He helped her sit up, waiting patiently for her to drink before taking the empty cup back and setting it beside the bed.  “Are you sure you won’t eat anything?”

 

“No, it is late,” she responded, burrowing down in the warm blankets once again.

 

“Ay, it is.  You should try to sleep more,” Jinki’s voice grew softer as he dimmed the lamp.

 

“I will.  My mother set up a sleep mat by the fire for you.”

 

“She shouldn’t have, there was no need,” Jinki whispered, slipping under the covers beside her.

 

“You must!  I don’t wish for you to become ill as well,” Gwiboon argued, frowning as he pulled her closer until her head resting in the crook of his arm.  Despite her own words, she shifted until she was comfortable against him, snuggling into his warmth and familiar smell.

 

“Nonsense, I should be by your side if you need anything,” He replied like it was the simplest thing in the world.  

 

“Jinki

 

“Hush you insufferable woman.  I won’t get a wink of sleep without you beside me and I will be up all night with worry if I am away from you,” he punctuated his confession with a gentle, reassuring kiss against her forehead.

 

Gwiboon sighed but knew there was no arguing with him.  Though it was a wrong, she couldn’t deny that she wanted him by her side as well.  

 

 

~~

 

 

The next morning, Gwiboon woke feeling rested, her energy back and her cough near gone.  Jinki however, was feverish and coughing pitifully.  She bit back her words of “I told you so” and instead went to heat the pot of porridge and make some hot tea to ease his sore throat.  She couldn’t fight back her affectionate smile as she spent her morning caring and doting on her sick husband.  She really was a lucky one.

 

 


they are cute

like... soooooo cute

this is very unedited

but it's late

forgive me