The Baby

With Time

 

Their first child came without problem, a baby girl.  She had Jinki’s eyes and Gwiboon’s delicate smile.  She was perfect. 

When the baby was cleaned and deemed fit and healthy, the midwife finally allowed Jinki to enter.  Gwiboon could tell in the way his hair stood up, as if he had clinched it in his fist, he had been worrying himself to death.  She could hear the soft twittering of voices in the other room, the whole family waiting to hear news, see the new baby and help her in anyway they could.  However, when the door was closed with a soft thud, it was just them.  Them and their new daughter. 

Gwiboon smiled; tired to her very bones but happy and content in a way she had never experienced before.  Nothing else mattered except the baby in her arms and her husband’s smile that was so wide it looked like it hurt.  

She knew she looked dreadful.  Hours of labor had left her worn and sweaty but Jinki had stars in his eyes, brushing her hair back with a soft, loving touch and kissing her forehead like she was everything to him. 

He hovered around the bed, as if uncertain what he should do.  

“Would you like to hold her?” Gwiboon asked, her heart bursting at the way his face seemed to light up even more as he nodded.

Jinki took the sleeping bundle into his arms, his actions awkward and cautious like he was scared he would break her.  Gwiboon laid back with a sigh, happiness seeping through her veins at the sight of her husband staring down at their new baby with so much love and tenderness.  She didn’t know what she had done to be so lucky; she had a loving husband, a healthy baby, a happy family.  She didn’t know if she really deserved so much happiness, but she was thankful. 

“What shall we name her?” Gwiboon asked, willing herself to stay awake, to bask in the joyous moment a bit longer.  

“I thought perhaps… Eunsook?” Jinki suggested, his voice filled with uncertainty.

“After my grandmother?” Gwiboon asked, somewhat surprised.  Her grandmother had passed a few years prior, Jinki had never met her.  

“Yes, I know how close you were with her,” Jinki whispered.  

“Eunsook,” Gwiboon tasted it on her tongue.  “She would have liked that,” Gwiboon said with a smile.  She missed her grandmother dearly and the woman would have loved to see Gwiboon now, married to a good man and now with a child of her own.  

“Hi, Eunsook,” Jinki cooed at the baby, still sleeping in his arms.  

“Let us name the next after your family.  Your mother perhaps?”  Gwiboon proposed.  

Jinki smiled, shooting her a playful glance, “We shall have one for every member of the family.”

“You will have to get a different wife if you wish for that many children,” Gwiboon replied, laughing weakly. 

“Well that simply won’t do.  I want no one else but you.  We shall just have to play favorites with our family members instead,” Jinki announced, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

“Let us hope they survive such a grievous insult,” Gwiboon muttered.

Jinki only chuckled in response.

Gwiboon was sure her mother would break down the door soon if the woman didn’t get to see the baby, but she couldn’t find it in herself to care.  Not as the siren call of sleep tugged at her eyelids.  She was pulled under to the soft sound of Jinki humming a soft lullaby to their own little bundle of joy, a smile on her face and bliss in her heart. 

 


Jinki with babies is a weakness of mine

i'm sure you all understand