The Past

With Time

 

The first time Jinki became angry with her, truly angry, she was terrified.  She had started to grow accustomed to his ever-present smile.  When he was angry however, his face was red and distorted and wrong.  There was no smile, no glimmer in his eyes.  

 

It reminded her too much of her past, the scars she still bore.

 

Gwiboon’s father was a good man, but he had always struggled with the bottle.  He turned into someone to be feared whenever he indulged in spirits.  Because of this, he had gone without for many years now, but Gwiboon would never forget.

 

So to see her husband’s face twist and contort into a monster she was all too familiar with, it was her greatest fear.  Her cheeks were wet with tears, unable to suppress the shudders of terror that crawled down her spine at his tone.  

 

Her lack of response only seemed prod his anger.  

 

It wasn’t until she flinched as if he really had raised a hand against her that the yelling stopped.  

 

Instead of screaming she heard soft whispers filled with concern.  Instead of a fist she felt gentle fingertips wiping away her tears.  He held her close whispering apologies against her skin until she stopped shaking.  He didn’t ask her to explain, he didn’t need it.  

 

When she had calmed down, Jinki still kept his arms around her, cradling her head against his chest.  “My parents they they do not have a happy marriage.  My mother is a gentle woman who did not deserve the harsh life she was dealt.  I made a promise long ago, to my mother and to myself, that I would not become like my father.”  Jinki’s fingers made soothing down her back as he talked.  Her ear was pressed against him, listening to the steady thrum of his heart and the way his voice reverberated through his chest as he spoke.  More than anything though, she heard the thick layers of emotion coating each word.  He was sharing something deeply personal with her, something she suspected he had never shared with anyone before.  

 

“I will not become my father,” He whispered, as if to convince himself of that truth rather than her.  

 

“Jinki,” Gwiboon murmured, shifting so she could look up into his eyes, “You are not your father.  You will never be your father.  You are a good man; a good husband.  Do you remember what you said to me on our wedding night?  You said, you didn’t want your wife to fear you.  I don’t fear you, Lee Jinki.”

 

“I will never hurt you,” Jinki promised, his voice cracking as his arms tightened around her.  “I’m not my father.  I will never hurt you,” the words started falling from his lips over and over again and it was Gwiboon’s turn to sooth away the tears.   

 

When she fell asleep in his arms that night, Gwiboon felt closer to to him than ever before.  Something had changed between them, something tangible; something good.

 

 


obviously, a bit of a time shift here (at least I think that's obvious?) 

the story is in chronological order but not necessarily a day by day story

kinda just hitting the main events

anyway, i'm going to try to finish writing it this weekend

because there are only a few more scenes i haven't finished

so maybe i will be able to stick to this once a day business no promises tho ^^