The Meal

With Time

 

The excitement of the wedding was over and they had settled into their new home.  There was a tangible air of awkwardness that clung to them both like a second skin.  Gentle words and hesitant touches only emphasized how new the couple was to one another.  They were both trying though.

Jinki had to return to work almost immediately leaving Gwiboon alone to take care of the house.  She tried her best to be a good wife, rising early to prepare breakfast for him and spending her day tending to the home.  There was one problem however; Gwiboon had what her mother lovingly called a ‘burnt thumb.’  

She was a terrible cook.  

Before the wedding her mother had taught her a few basic dishes, drilling the procedures and ingredient portions into her head until the instructions were tattooed onto the inside of her eyelids.  

Gwiboon desperately wanted to live up to Jinki’s expectations, to fulfill her duties as his wife.  So under her mother's guidance, she studied.  

Every afternoon, while Jinki was still at work, Gwiboon would join her mother in the kitchen.  She would pack up the dishes they made together and bring them home for the evening meal.  Jinki made no complaints, but she still felt like it was cheating.  What kind of woman couldn’t even cook a proper meal?  All she wanted was to make her husband a full meal, all with her own hands.  

As the couple grew closer, talking more as they became comfortable in the others’ presence, she shared these concerns with Jinki.  He had only chuckle at her worries before kissing her on the temple, innocent and comforting.  In his soft manner, he assured her that he was not disappointed in her shortcomings and let the matter drop.  

However, from then on, he always had a word of praise for whatever passed his lips.  It was a sweet gesture but Gwiboon was no fool.  She longed for the day that those words of praise were made in sincerity rather than kindness.  

So, she practiced.


~~ 


That day, her mother was busy and had no time for Gwiboon, leaving the girl alone to prepare a meal for her husband.  She debated with herself, should she make a tired meal she knew would be satisfactory, or should she make something new even though her abilities were still lacking?  Jinki’s mother had recently mentioned a favorite dish of his and ever since she had longed to make it.  Today felt like a good a day as any to attempt it.  

Gwiboon checked and rechecked her ingredients, making sure everything was laid out and measured before she began.  She was more anxious than was normal for making a simple meal, but she couldn’t help herself.  Cooking was the most basic of skills a woman was required to do, it was shameful that she struggled so much to do such an ordinary task.  

Soon, the small kitchen was filled with a wonderful aroma and Gwiboon’s heart soared.  

Before she knew it, time had slipped away and Jinki would be on his way home.  She rushed to get the whole meal prepared and ready to be placed on the table.  

“It smells amazing in here,” Jinki commented when he walked in the door, slipping off his outer coat and toeing off his boots.    

She beamed.

When they sat at the table, Gwiboon didn’t even glance at the food on her own plate, only concentrating on Jinki as he took his first bite.  He gave her an encouraging smile before scooping up a spoonful.  “It’s delicious,” He assured her, smiling with his cheeks still full of food, making him look like a child.    

“Really?”

“Better than my mother’s,” He promised and she let out a giddy little chuckle in response.  

She sighed in relief, finally allowing herself to taste it as well.  As soon as the flavors hit her tongue, her smile dropped, the previous excitement bleeding out of her.  It was salty, slightly burnt and the spices were not balanced, making it bland and overpowering all at once.  “It is terrible,” she muttered, her eyes showing betrayal.  “How could you say otherwise?”

“It is not terrible.  It was made at the hands of my wife whom I know worked very hard on this meal.  I taste nothing but sincerity and hard work,” Jinki gave her a soft, genuine smile and she couldn’t help but blush at his words.  

“I promise, I shall do better,” She said anyway.  

“And I promise, I shall eat anything you put in front of me and love it all the same.” 

 


how ing cute are they, tho?

kill me

jinki is a precious little snowflake

in reality and in the au

<3