Chapter 7 - Guilt and Fear

My thoughts, Your memories

Sungmin woke up with a headache. After the conversation with her mother she had found it hard to sleep. That day she had to go back to college, and how Sungmin was dreading that fact for the first time.

 

After two hours of travel she reached the dorm. Her mom called and reminded her of something she had to do as soon as possible, something she couldn’t run from, the break up with Kangin.

 

She was sitting in bed thinking about how to carry out the task when Donghae approached.

“It’s almost 8:45 Min, aren’t coming to class?”

“I will Hae, but there is something I have to do before that”

“What is it Min? You look pale, anything happened?”

“I’ll explain later Hae, you go on to class.” Donghae looked apprehensive at first but her attendance was low so she went off to class.

 

Now alone in her room Sungmin found herself in fear. ‘Oh come on Min just get it over with, the longer you think, the more difficult it becomes’, she thought to herself. Sighing she took out her phone and called the one person she thought would be actually capable of handling this lest it goes out of hand.

 

“Heechul oppa..”

“Hey there Sungmin, why are you calling now?”

“There is something I have to tell you guys…”

“Are you okay Min, you voice appears troubled?”

“Just come oppa and bring Kangin oppa with you, I’ll be waiting in front of the Central Auditorium near my dorm.” With that she ended the phone call and proceeded to the said place.

 

She didn’t have to wait long before Heechul’s bike came in to view. They stopped in front of her and Kangin gave her a loving smile that pained her more thinking about how she was going to wipe that smile off in a few minutes.

 

Their smiles disappeared when she started talking about what her mother told, how her mother told she and Kangin were not suited to each other and that they had to break up. She hadn’t finished when Kangin muttered how he could not take it anymore and walked off to somewhere leaving her with a furious Heechul. Sungmin for the first time in her life felt scared of Heechul. The person in front of her now was not her favorite oppa, but the best friend of the person whom she had just betrayed.

 

“That’s it eh? You are going to break up with him just because your mother told you to?”

“Oppa.”

“And for what reasons?  He isn’t suitable for you? Not your religion? What reasons are those?

I don’t love him too. But she couldn’t bring herself to say that, she was scared, scared to answer the questions that revelation may follow. Instead she replied with an “I’m sorry.”

 

Heechul let out a sneer, “You are sorry? Well you better be. Just go. I don’t want to see you right now.”

With that he left, leaving Sungmin alone and miserable. She knew she deserved to feel miserable. She was a coward who couldn’t even admit her wrong.


 

“Psst..”

“Psst..”

“Cut it out Wookie, I’m trying to listen to the teacher”

“oh really, since when did that happen Hae?”

“Since you started bothering me”

“Whatever. Hey listen, where’s Sungmin?”

“At the dorm I think”

“At the dorm? Why isn’t she in class? Is she sick or something?” Ryeowook saw a look of concern pass through Donghae’s face as she replied, “I don’t know Ryeowook, but I’m gonna find out.”


After the classes ended Donghae hurried back to the dorm. She could feel something was wrong. And her feeling was proved correct when she opened her room’s door and found Sungmin curled up on the bed, looking lost and scared.  Donghae moved closer and she could see dried tear tracks all over Sungmin’s face. She gently called her.

 

“hey..” Sungmin’s eyes shot up to Donghae’s face and in seconds fresh tears started running. She hugged Donghae tightly. Donghae was in panic, she had never seen Sungmin like this.

“Sungmin..”

“…”

“Min, please look at me and tell me what happened”

 

A few more seconds passed before Sungmin’s tears succumbed a bit and she narrated the entire story to Donghae who gasped and hugged her again. “Hae, I’m so scared.. I don’t know what to do…what if… what if…something bad happens…, god Hae I’m so sorry, sorry all this happened.” “Shh.. its okay.. its okay… everything will be okay.”

 

The day changed from bad to worst. Kangin kept calling Sungmin and telling all kinds of things. Donghae and Tiffany found the scene before them hard to take in. Their once bubbly roommate was now curled up on the bed and crying her eyes out. They didn’t know what to do and there wasn’t much they could do too.

 

Sungmin by now had resorted to begging. “Please Kangin oppa, I can’t, please just let me go.” On the other line one could hear a more desperate Kangin. “After everything, after all this, I can’t Sungmin and I won’t.”

 

The scene kept repeating over and over again. At some point Sungmin had called her mother. Her mother’s voice brought a slight relief. Her mother was ready to take on blame and talked to Kangin for her daughter’s sake. After her mother intervened  Kangin stopped calling and to Donghae’s utmost relief Sungmin’s crying came down.

 

Everybody was basking in the relief that everything had finally settled down when Sungmin’s phone rang. It was Heechul calling.

 

“Do you know where Kangin is?”

“Oppa..  I don’t understand”

“I asked whether you know where Kangin is,” Sungmin could hear the anger in Heechul’s voice, “he has been missing for half an hour now.”

“Missing..how?.wha…” Sungmin found it unable to voice out anything. Her fear had returned tenfold. Heechul however had plenty to say.

“Don’t you see what you have done to him? I have searched god knows where but still no sign of him. What if something bad happens to him? What if he does something stupid? Huh, what would you do then? DAMN IT SUNGMIN, ANSWER ME”

Sungmin was shaking and sobbing uncontrollably by now. “I..I do-don’t k-know.”

Heechul had cut the line.


Author's note: Hope you guys liked the chapter, its the longest one so far I think. I would love to see your comments so please do comment, you can also message me if you want.