Chapter 1 - The early days

My thoughts, Your memories

September, 2011

 

Sungmin breathed in the serenity the place had. Her college/university, it was beautiful, especially with those beautiful gardens, lush green grass and huge trees. It was just her first day of college, and she was loving it already. This was the place where she was going to spend her next few years, and she was delighted by the idea.

 

The place felt like home, more so than her own one. Back at her parent's house, she always felt trapped, alone and miserable. Being away in the confinement of her parents gave her a sense of thrill, a taste of freedom.

 

Before her first subject started, she already found her room. Maybe she was too eager since she's the only one inside the class. She sat and waited patiently, then one by one, her classmates entered. A bunch of teenagers  who like her were trying to take in this new phase of their lives. A dark haired girl with beautiful eyes looked at her, Donghae looked innocent, almost like an angel. She smiled in recognition. They had met the day before, at the dorm. Donghae was her roommate, and quite frankly, she had made quite a good impression in Sungmin’s mind despite the short introduction.

 

The classes started, and ended before they knew it. The time flew quickly. Nonetheless, Sungmin was having the time of her life. She was happy as she gained new friends. Donghae was an impulsive person. She also could be irritating at times, yet she still managed to be impossibly cute. Although she was a bit stupid at a few things in Sungmin’s opinion, it didn't mattered. What mattered was they loved and appreciated each other’s company. They were even nicknamed the ‘Siamese twins,’ for the time they spent together. They had their circle of friends, or rather, Hae’s circle. Min was more or less friendly with everyone.

 

There was this guy, her friend, Siwon. He was easily labeled as the face of the class. He had the looks, and he knew it. Sungmin loved his company; he never failed to make her smile. He was her first friend. They knew each other even before she met Donghae. And like Donghae, he had a special place in her heart.

 

A few months had passed since they started college.  Everything was going on well, until the day Siwon decided to ruin it.

 

‘I like you Min,’ Siwon stammered. Worry was evident in his tone, 'will you be my girlfriend?' He liked the girl and was not amused by the thought of getting rejected. He was confident enough that he would not be rejected.

Sungmin was beyond shocked. It was the first time anybody had asked her to be their girlfriend. It took her sometime to process what he said, but she still responded in a low voice, ’I’m sorry Siwon. I can't. 

 

A few days had passed. Still, Siwon had no intention to give up. He pestered her with calls, even begged her several times.

It was wasting him up. He became grumpy to everyone and looked like , but he couldn’t care less. He was so desperate that he decided to play it in another way.

 

Jessica, one of Sungmin's classmate and dorm mate, talked to Sungmin after they had finished their meal. ‘I need to talk you. Come with me.’

Sungmin followed her to her room, and Donghae was there. Sungmin knew from Jessica’s tone that it was something serious, so she was glad her friend was there. Jessica wasn’t really the friendliest person she knew.

‘It's about Siwon’ she began.

‘What the...’Sungmin cut her.

‘let me finish what I have to say Min. You owe him at least this. You know he really likes you, and don’t you feel anything seeing the state he is in?'

'It's not like I intended it...'

'Oh don’t act so naïve!' Jessica exclaimed. 'Why are you still talking to him then?'

'What are you trying to say? He is my best friend; of course I talk to him.'

'Best friends my . I can see the way he looks at you, and you being lovey-dovey isn’t really helping him.'

'But...'

'No buts Min, the more you stay, the more he will yearn for you and the more he gets hurt. It's time for you to make a decision. Either you ignore him completely, so that’ll help him forget, or you can just agree to his proposal.'

Her words were like piercing arrows directed at Sungmin’s heart. Leave him? Ignore him? No, she couldn’t. He was her friend, her best friend, and she needed him.

Sungmin thought. She thought a lot in those few minutes, than she had for years. Well come to think of it, Siwon wasn’t a bad person. He was caring and funny. If anything, he was also almost too handsome for her.

The prospect of young love was exciting. She had never been in love, and in her eighteen years of life, she had never had a boyfriend. While she was at it, she couldn’t find a single fault, or any reason for her to reject him.

 

‘I accept,’ she told Jessica.

The surprise in Jessica’s face was evident. She hadn’t even expected this to become successful so soon. For her, it had been an easy job. One she had done countless times for many aspiring lovers.

’Call him. ’She ordered while extending her phone.

 

With a shrug, Sungmin pushed Jessica's hand away and took out her own phone. ’Ok Min, calm down, you can't surely be this excited’, she told herself.

'Hey Min,' Siwon answered.

'Hey…' she paused. A moment of silence followed. 'I got something to tell you... I decided to accept your request.'

Another moment of silence.

'Could you repeat what you just said?'

'Don’t tell me you suddenly became deaf'

'No its just… is this for real?'

'Yes it's for real you idiot. I agree to be your girlfriend.'