Chapter 14: Writing all the way

My thoughts, Your memories

EARLY NOVEMBER 2012

 

Inter class competitions were back making Sungmin and her classmates more busy than ever. Everyone was determined to win the cup this time. Last year their class had become second only by a few points and this time they were set on changing that.

 

Key was showing the list of programs and the participants for them. Sungmin was shocked to see her name in almost everything.

 

‘Key, this is too much, I can’t participate in all this.’

 

‘Yes you can, you are one of our stars,’ Sungmin scoffed at that. ‘Star? The only price I got last year was at English poetry writing competition, and why in the hell have you written my name for Korean and Japanese writing competitions too? You know very well how horrible I’m at Korean.’

 

‘It would be different this year and Min-ah it’s nice to try out new things,’ Key said flashing his trademark smile.

 

Sungmin sighed. There was no arguing with this guy. Guess she has to bear through this. For the class, Sungmin, for the class.


 

It was the first day of the competitions. Sungmin ran her eyes over the schedule, she has some programs in the afternoon.  Sungmin was disappointed to say the least, she had checked the schedule the other day and most of her items were colliding with Kyuhyun’s. Guess she would be missing most of his performances this time too.


It was the last day of the competitions, by now Sungmin’s items were over and she and Key had reserved the front seats to listen to the last program of the day – KPOP BALLAD SINGING COMPETITION.

Kyuhyun came on stage. He was singing the song ‘7 years of love’.

 

The moment he opened his mouth Sungmin felt herself drowning in his voice. It felt like there was only him there, no one else, just him and the song. God, why did he have to choose a sad song? I’m really going to tear up. The song ended to a deafening applause. Don’t think we will have to wait for the results to know who got first place I guess.

 

It was time to announce the winners of the magazine writing competition they had held a week ago. Sungmin’s classmates were silent. They already knew the results. The other class had cheated them to get the first place. They received the trophy and were shouting at the top of their voice. ‘WE ARE THE BEST’ ‘IN WRITING NO ONE CAN BEAT US’ ‘WE HAVE THE BEST WRITERS HAHA’

Sungmin looked around. Almost all of her classmates had their head down, some were clenching their fists. She glanced at Onew who was sitting at the announcement desk.He was pointing at a piece of paper and smiling. Why the hell is he smiling? 

‘Excuse me, some results from the interclass writing competitions have come’ Oh that's what's in the paper.

 

‘English essay writing competitions first place goes to Lee Sungmin…. English short story writing competiton first place is taken by Lee Sungmin…. And lastly English Poetry writing competition the first place again goes to Lee Sungmin.’

 

There was a deafening silence for a moment. Sungmin couldn’t believe her ears. Oh god, did she just win all that?

 

Suddenly all her classmates were up on their feet. They were cheering so loud the room seemed to be shaking.

 

THAT’S OUR GIRL..

EVERYBODY SAY LEE SUNGMIN, LEE SUNGMIN, LEE SUNGMIN

 

The other class had gone silent. Sungmin couldn’t stop the smirk adorning her face as she shot them a look. ‘Not the best at writing anymore, aren’t we?’  it was one of the best days of Sungmin’s life. The whole college came to congratulate her. For once, she was the pride of her class.

 

LATE NOVEMBER 2012

 

Sungmin had a habit of writing down the important events in her life. But since she had entered college she hadn’t written anything despite all those things happening to her. She wanted to preserve all those memories so she finally decided to write them down. And in Korean for the first time. (The following is Sungmin’s writing. It’s in Korean)

 

Korean is my mother tongue, but I’ve never loved it the way I was fond of English. Writing, reading everything was in English, there was a time when I even dreamed in English, now would you believe that?

I have to appreciate my dad’s efforts though. He loved Korean literature like anything and made me read it as much as he would. I wouldn’t say his efforts were a complete failure.

Then why am I writing in Korean this time? Well, I think the answer is in the story that’s to follow. I guess whatever it may seem one’s emotions are best expressed in their mother tongue itself. That realization may have prompted me to write in Korean. Anyway to all those who have loved me till now I present to you my first effort at writing something like an autobiography.

 Come on lets walk through the roads that is my life.

 

21-11-12

 

My aim was to talk about all those moments I spend and going to spend at my college. But its been days since I wrote the introduction and I can’t bring myself to write the rest. One of the reasons may be is that there is a lot to write and I find the task heavy. Also presenting all those events in the right way is difficult too.

 Then this little thing happened today. Wookie had given a freshman a task. To write a love letter to me. It was in fun of course, when the freshmen come we usually assign them silly tasks and this was one of the. Anyway from that I got an idea. Ever since my mom told me about a pen friend she had I always wanted one. In this new era of technology hand written letters may seem old fashioned, but I have always loved them. It’s a pity nobody writes them anymore. So I decided I’m gonna describe my life in letters. One moment, one letter. But who am I going to write these letters to? The name that came to my mind was Kyuhyun. The main singer of our class, a not so bad writer himself, the handsome 20 year old, is going to be the recipient of my letters. So let’s go down to him shall we?

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE: YEAH, ANOTHER UPDATE. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE LETTERS ARE WRITTEN TO KYUHYUN BUT THEY ARE NOT POSTED. THEY JUST REMAIN IN SUNGMIN’S NOTEBOOKS FOR NOW.

FIRST LETTER WOULD FOLLOW SOON