Chapter 6 - Mother knows best

My thoughts, Your memories

Author's note: I know its been a long time and I'm really sorry for that, hope you guys still follow this fic. About the last chapter, some of you maybe wondering what's the big deal with a kiss on the cheek but where I come from it is a big deal. Hope you guys understand. I'll try my best to update sooner next time.

 

March, 2012

 

Sungmin thought long and hard. She was upset not because Kangin had kissed her, but because he had done it just as simple as that. For her a kiss meant a lot, she had been preserving it for a long time, a kiss even if just on the cheek was something to be earned. A kiss was something she had lot of expectations for and she was not sure Kangin’s kiss felt so.

 

But she couldn’t get angry at Kangin for that though she told him what she felt. The guy apologized for acting without her permission but he couldn’t help himself at that time. And she soon forgave him.

 

Valentine’s Day arrived and Sungmin was looking forward to it. Kangin gave her a set of heart shaped earrings, but what touched her most was the handwritten card which contained another poem describing how precious she was. Kangin made her feel like the most beautiful person in the world.

 

 

The thing Donghae was most worried about after Sungmin’s break up with Siwon was the scenario of the two of them not talking. Both of them are Donghae’s best friends so she couldn’t stand them not talking. But her worries were for anything as after about a month or so Siwon and Sungmin were back to normal. They weren’t the best buddies they were before but they came on friendly terms with each other.

 

But that didn’t help even a tiny bit at how awkward Sungmin felt when she was showing her valentine’s day’s gift to a classmate and Siwon walked in. He waltzed in, checked the gifts and remarked they were beautiful. And then he smiled and left. Sungmin could only let her breath out then. She was glad he didn’t ask who gave them; Sungmin was sure he knew but she wasn’t ready to talk about Kangin with Siwon yet.

 

 

For Sungmin her mother is her first and foremost friend. Being an only child, her mom was the one who she confided everything in. Her mom was her pillar of support, the person she loves the most in the world. 

 

Seeing how serious her relationship with Kangin was Sungmin was finding it hard to hide from her mother. Though Kangin had warned against it, saying it was not the right time Sungmin decided to finally tell her mother.

 

Her mother knew about Kangin as the guy who was madly in love with her, Sungmin had told her that much. But not even in her dreams had her mother thought her precious daughter would reciprocate it.

 

They were lying side by side on the bed. Sungmin was used to sleeping beside her mom; it gave her a comfort that nothing else in the world could match.

 

“Mom..”

“What is it, Min?”

 

“There is something I have to tell you..”

 

“Go on...”

 

“I… I…Mom, you know Kangin right?”

 

“Yes”

 

“Well…you know how he loves me and all and then I thought how much he loves me and I told him yes”

 

The last line was almost a whisper but Sungmin was sure her mother had heard it; the silence that followed was a clear indication. Sungmin was going to say something when her mother spoke

 

I never thought you would do something like this, I thought you were above all this

 

Her mother was speaking in a low voice, but there was something in it that made her heart clench.

 

“He is not a good match for you, his personality doesn’t suit you, moreover he is a Buddhist not even our religion, what were you thinking Lee Sungmin?”

 

Sungmin flinched a little at how her mother called her full name; she only did that when she was really upset. She replied unsteadily, “I thought as he loves me a lot and he is a reputed guy and all it would be good”

 

“Oh Sungmin how naïve you are. Do you even love him? If you do then what is it about him that you love?”

 

Sungmin froze. She had never thought of that. ‘Do I love him?’ the more she thought the more dreadful she felt. She had been in a dream world, languishing in the love someone provided that she had gone too far. If love was all she had read about then this wasn’t love. She wouldn’t have thought about it if it was. For if it was real love she wouldn’t have questioned it in the first place.

 

Her mother told her to break up with Kangin, an order she accepted without a word. She had been wrong. She had overdone herself. She had driven a guy’s hopes up only to crash them. Unknowingly or knowingly she had committed a sin, and  god knows she was sorry for it.