Break Apart

Evanesce

Kim Wonshik woke up before the man nestled in his arms. Yawning as quietly as possible, he slid out of bed, careful not to wake the other man. Hakyeon looked so worn down and pitiful, even in his sleep, that it ripped at the blonde's very soul. Marks on his wrist had darkened overnight and his shoulder had began to show signs of bruising and mild swelling. Cheeks red from shed tears, the tan beauty's eyes were puffy, dark circles evident.

With a soft sigh, he tucked the blanket around his companion, giving him a soft, fast kiss on the cheek. Retreating to the kitchen, he started a pot of coffee, ordering something for breakfast from the local bakery. After they ate, he would return with Hakyeon to Taekwoon's apartment, for no other reason than to retrieve their belongings. Best case senerio, though, at least in terms of what he believed was best for Hakyeon, they would reconcile. It destroyed him, thinking if giving the man he loved back to the black haired , but if it meant Hakyeon's happiness, then he'd accept the pain of losing him all over again.

Opening the freezer, Wonshik got out the tray of ice and emptied it into a Ziploc bag. Securing the bag so no icy water could escape, he wrapped the bag in a hand towel to reduce the risk of injuring Hakyeon with the harsh temperature. Returning to the bedroom, he sat on the edge of the bed, gently applying the ice pack to the older man's injured shoulder.

"Wonshik?" Quietly, voice brittle from sobbing himself to sleep, Hakyeon spoke, awoken by the chill on his shoulder.

"Did I hurt you?" Shifting on the bed, the blonde relieved the subtle pressure on the injured shoulder. Concerned he had accidentally made things worse, he inspected the inflamed skin.

"No. Just cold." With a groan, Hakyeon sat up. "I bet I look like hell."

"You're beautiful, Hakyeon. Always." Helping the redhead out of bed, Wonshik gave him a quick kiss on the forehead before he went to answer the door. In a few hours, everything would come to an end. Whatever decision Hakyeon made, he would accept.

~~~

Jung Taekwoon took a swig of the alcohol he had stumbled out to buy shortly after his breakdown in the bathroom the night before. Only a few swallows into his liquid breakfast, he gazed down at the large stuffed bear sitting in the corner of his living room. Already feeling the effects of the alcohol, he wobbled slightly, sneering down at the plush animal.

"I don't care if you had him first..." Growling, he slapped at the bear. "He's mine. He's my baby and you're just a way to kill time."

Anger rose up past his heartbreak for what felt like the millionth time since he arrived home to find his lover in bed with someone else. Mood bounced from blinding rage to earth shattering heartbreak at such a rapid succession he was as beginning to feel like a real life case of Jekyll and Hyde. Kicking the bear, he turned to throw a lamp across the room. Colliding with the wall, the impact brought down a picture frame.

Heart dropping, he approached the frame, slowly lifting it. Half of the structure broke off, dropping to the floor, glass shattered over a gorgeous, smiling face. Touching it gently, Taekwoon sighed, tears threatening to spill forth again. All that he had to show for his most sacred relationship were five pictures he had to be forced to take, afraid of people discovering and judging his life with Hakyeon. Each year the smile on Hakyeon's face lost a little light beside his own ever scowling face. This whole situation was his own fault.

~~~

Cha Hakyeon sat in silence beside Wonshik, allowing the blonde to feed him bits of breakfast pastry. If it weren't for the man by his side, he knew he wouldn't have even had the energy to wake up that morning. Laying his head on the blonde's shoulder, he closed his eyes, hoping the pain medication would take effect quickly.

Shoulder throbbing in pain, he turned to hide his face against Wonshik's collarbone, stifling a whine. Soft lips brushed the top of his head as fingers trailed through his hair. Wonshik had always known the best way to calm him and he found himself easing slightly into the other man's embrace.

"Everything will be okay, Hakyeon." Voice soothing, the blonde gathered him onto his lip. "I'm here... I'll fix this."

"Wonshik..." Looking into the other man's eyes, he leaned in, kissing him deeply. Soul shattered and broken, he still knew his choice was clear. He wasnt going to let Wonshik suffer because of him anymore.