Visitor

Evanesce

Kim Wonshik woke up to the sound of a knock on the apartment door. Sleeping soundly, the redhaired man cuddled against his chest barely reacted to the noise. It took a moment to detangle himself from his lover, hoping the visitor would leave first, but the steady thump of a fist against hard wood persisted. With a barely audible groan, he pulled on his boxers, giving Hakyeon a gentle kiss on his forehead, tucking him in before sleepily stumbling out to answer the door before it could wake up the sick man.

"What do you want?" His voice was harsh from sleep, his words slurring slightly from exhaustion as he ran a hand through his blonde hair. "What time is it?"

"Okay. Couple things. A. It's noon. Two. Who the frackalack are you?" The brown haired man at the door looked him over slowly, his eyes lingering on thin lines left on his skin by Hakyeon's nails the night before. "III. You better not have hurt my sweet baby Hakyeon."

"What?" It took longer than it should have for Wonshik to comprehend the gibberish he had just heard. "One of those was a letter. And I'm pretty sure one was a roman numeral... Who are you?"

"I'm the man you wish you were." With a wide grin, the man pushed by him, a drink carrier and a pastry bag held tightly in his hands. "CHA HAKYEON! IF YOU'VE BEEN MURDERED BY THIS HALF GUY BLINK TWICE!"

"Would you shut up? He's sleeping. Hakyeon has the flu. And no. I did not murder him." Growling lightly, Wonshik shoved the intruder out of the way, entering the bedroom to ensure the tan man wouldn't be caught exposed.

"You're not Taekwoon." The stranger pouted, tapping his foot on the floor just outside the door.

"Hakyeon. Sweetheart. You have company." Wonshik used his body to shield the older man from view as he kissed him awake.

"I know." Hakyeon finally whispered against his lips. "That's Jaehwan. Can you get me my underwear and a shirt?" With a final peck on the lips, Wonshik did as he was asked, handing the other man some underwear and Wonshik's own shirt.

"Here." Wonshik smiled softly, running his fingertips through Hakyeon's crimson locks. "I'm going to go buy some groceries. If you need anything at all, just text me." After slipping on the sparce articles of clothing, Hakyeon gently wrapped his fingers around Wonshik's wrist, looking up at him with an expression of such insecurity that Wonshik fought back a growing lump of anger and pain in his chest.

"You'll come back, right?" Voice wavering, the tan male looked close to tears, clinging to Wonshik, grip getting tighter.

"Hey. Hey listen. I'll be back soon enough. Maybe an hour at the most." Sighing, he sat beside the other man, brushing his fingertips over Hakyeon's cheek as he leaned in for a gentle kiss. "I love you." With another kiss, he dressed and left the apartment, ignoring the scrutinizing gaze Hakyeon's friend gave him until the door was firmly shut behind him. Silently cursing himself for putting so much pressure on he man he loved, he made his way down the hallway. Phone chirping, he took it from his pocket to read the text from Hakyeon.

"I love you too."

~~~

Jung Taekwoon slipped out of his breakfast meeting with the excuse of needing to use the restroom. Going back to his hotel room, he dialed Hakyeon's number, praying the man had forgiven him. Twice, the phone rang before a familiar voice answered.

"Heeeeey Taekwoon. What's crackalackin'?" Jaehwan questioned, cackling joyfully.

"Hand the phone to Hakyeon." Taekwoon groaned, irritated not to hear his boyfriend's voice but relieved to know he wasn't currently alone with Wonshik.

"I can't. We're about to Netflix and Chill." Came the light reply and Taekwoon could feel a twitch begin at the very corner of his eye.

"I have told you a million times, Jaehwan. It doesn't mean what you think it does." Taekwoon hissed, gripping his phone tightly, not having the time for the other man's games.

"You don't know my intentions. I am definitely going to put it in his-" The rest of his words were cut off as Taekwoon heard a scuffle ensue, ending in a panting Hakyeon finally speaking.

"Taekwoon? I figured you'd be too busy to talk today." His lover's voice was quiet, almost broken, and he felt his knees grow weak as he sank to his hotel bed. Guilt felt like a weight on his chest, crushing him and laboring his breathing.

"I... Are you feeling any better today?" Covering his eyes with his hand, he tried to take a calming breath. The tension between them felt like a death sentence.

"What do you care?" Hakyeon huffed, causing a pang of regret to shoot through him.

"Hakyeon..." Taekwoon bit his lip, overwhelmed by the feeling of dread creeping over him.

"I'm fine, Taekwoon. Wonshik is taking care of me." The sound of Jaehwan shreiking in the background wasnt enough to mask the hallow sound of his boyfriend's voice. "I've got to go."

"Hakyeon!" His tone was more urgent than he had intended but he couldn't deny the panic brewing.

"What, Taekwoon?" The tan man replied with clear exasperation.

"Do you still love me?" He questioned, hoping his vulnerability wasn't evident.

"Jung Taekwoon... Even now, I love you. The real question is if you ever really loved me." The line went dead, Hakyeon's sound of defeat echoing through his very being. This was it. Hakyeon was slipping through his fingers. With a small sob, he forced himsef to stand, wiping the tears from his cheeks as he returned to work, doing his best not to think about what may be left for him when he got home.

~~~

Cha Hakyeon sat his phone on the nightstand and leaned against his friend. Jaehwan held his hand tightly, their legs entangled as a movie played on the bedroom flatscreen. How could Taekwoon ask him that after five years of never saying it himself? A mix of anger and overwhelming sadness caused him to release a strangled whimper.

"Hakyeon, you okay?" Jaehwan's concern only made it harder to maintain his sobs. Everything was falling apart and he wasn't sure how to fix any of it.

"I... I cheated on Taekwoon." He confessed between shuddering breaths and soft cries.

"I know." Jaehwan rubbed his back, trying to soothe him to no avail. "Tell me about it."

"It's all so complicated, Jae..." He murmured, laying his head on his friend's shoulder. "You know I love Taekwoon. He's my whole world. But... But five years is a really long time to be somebody's dirty little secret. And Wonshik... I'd be lying if I said he didn't have a part of my heart. And, my God, Jaehwan, Wonshik is proud of me. He wants to be with me. He makes me feel like I mean something. And I just... I dont know what to do..."

"Hakyeon." Jaehwan took his hands, holding them gently as he looked into his eyes. "Just run away with me." A smile spread across his friends face as Hakyeon let out a soft half-laugh.

"Oh yeah. Sure." Hakyeon closed his eyes, yawning. "Lets just elope, Jae."

"That's the spirit." Jaehwan chuckled, wrapping an arm around Hakyeon's shoulders. "We can join the circus."

"You can be a lion tamer." Hakyeon snuggled close to him, sleepily. "And I can be a mermaid." Hakyeon knew Jaehwan was replying but exhaustion overtook him, drained from emotions and illness, and he found himself succumbing to dreamland, grateful for the moment of joy his friend had managed to bring him without all his torment.