Unexpected Reunion

Evanesce

Cha Hakyeon got up a few hours later and stretched, his phone telling him it was nearly nine in the morning. Getting out of bed, he cleaned up the broken alarm clock before showering and heading into town. It was his primary goal to get the perfect indestructible device to withstand his boyfriend's early morning fury, if such a thing existed.

Cold winter air nipped at him as he walked down the sidewalk. Cursing himself, he realized he had forgotten mittens and a scarf in the apartment. Inside had been so cozy, he had forgotten it was winter. With relief, he realized had at least had the forethought to grab his jacket.

A smile spread over his lips as he imagined Taekwoon rubbing his hands to warm them up, buying him hot chocolate at lunch. Taekwoon may have issues expressing himself but he had always been very attentive toward Hakyeon's needs. Sometimes Hakyeon was happiest when he had a cold and Taekwoon would stay home and take care of him. If he were lucky, maybe he'd get sick on his outing and have some cuddle time with his tall, dark lover. His mind slipper into an array of fantasies while he trudged down the sidewalk.

Making his way past an ice cream shop he used to go to frequently as a teenager with his ex boyfriend, his closest friend, his mind must have went from fantasy to vivid reminiscing. It was almost as thought he saw... But no. That would have been impossible. The man he'd thought he saw had been away for a long time.

Stopping, he took a few steps back. A blonde had his hand pressed against an old statue of a tiger Hakyeon used to pretend to ride while he ate his frozen desserts. Something about the man seemed so familiar to him and he couldn't quite shake it...

"Wonshik?" The question left his lips without meaning to. Shock found him as the blonde turned slowly to face him, looking startled himself.

"Hakyeon?" His voice was deeper than it had been before he left, but Hakyeon would know him anywhere. This person in front of him was the one he had grown up with, his first everything and his best friend. Before he knew it, he was hugging the blonde.

"I missed you so much. You didn't write me or anything!" He felt like he might start to cry but Wonshik wrapped his arms around his waist and Hakyeon felt his nerves calm. "When did you get back?"

"I'm sorry. I was selfish for disregarding our friendship like that." Wonshik held him tightly and Hakyeon noted that he was more muscular than he had remembered him to be. "I got back a few hours ago. My parents are out of town so I'm going to rent a hotel room."


"Don't be silly. Stay with me." Hakyeon grinned, excited at the thought of having Wonshik close again. "I have to get an alarm clock and then we'll head right over." Stepping away from Wonshik, he picked up one of his bags, leaving him little room to argue.

"Hold on." Wonshik caught him gently by the wrist and took off his own scarf and gloves, helping Hakyeon into them before he got a big fluffy hat out of his suit case and placed it snuggly on the red haired man's head. "Better. Let's go." Hakyeon felt a blush rise to his cheeks as he reached out to hold his friend's hand, walking toward the nearest electronics store. More than he cared to admit, he had missed his easy friendship with Wonshik.

~~~

Kim Wonshik had been bewildered when he turned to see the only person he had hoped to avoid. Yet, the moment his eyes took in the still beautiful Hakyeon, he was trapped again. How had he managed to live for five years without the redhead?

Then again, what he had been doing hadn't exactly been living, had it. He had been merely existing at best. This, this was living. The way his heart pounded when Hakyeon said his name, the electricity he felt jolt through him as they held hands, the eruption of joy that bubbled through him when their eyes met and Hakyeon blushed, that was what life felt like. And it was truly nice to be alive again.

Listening to Hakyeon chatter away, it was amazing all the things Wonshik had missed. It was wonderful to see him still so happy after all those years, but Wonshik's heart sank slightly when Hakyeon informed him on the way to the apartment that he had been living with Taekwoon for a year and a half. Taekwoon... The one Hakyeon had always loved more than Wonshik, thehe one Hakyeon had left him for.

He wasn't sure he could handle staying a week in that apartment, knowing that in the other room the man he loved was curled up with someone else. Never had he been so sure that it would hurt too much to endure, but when he looked at Hakyeon's smiling face to tell him he'd changed his mind, all resolve to do so vanished. Impossible as ever, he knew he couldn't disappoint him, even if it hurt Wonshik.

Before he knew it, they were in Hakyeon's tidy apartment drinking coffee. Wonshik filled Hakyeon in on his time in the United States as his eyes scanned his surroundings. There hadn't been a lot of pictures of the couple that resided there, only five. One for each year they had been together, one for each year Wonshik had been away.

An urge to scream swelled in his throat, nearly suffocating him. No evidence he had even been in Hakyeon's life seemed to remain. Once he left, had Hakyeon shoved him aside so easily? Then he saw it, the big stuffed white teddy bear the height of an adult sitting in the corner of the living room, a blanket halfway hiding it from view.

"Remember when I got this for you?" He questioned as he got up and uncovered the plush animal.

"Yeah. The day you asked me out. I had wanted it so bad but the guy at the carnival said you couldn't buy it, you had to win it." Hakyeon was smiling as he got up and came over to hug the bear. "You spent all your money at the stupid game booth and the guy ended up feeling so bad he just gave it to you."

"At least you still have it. You were so happy, you even kissed me." Wonshik laughed at how horribly he had actually failed at winning that bear. But it had been fun and he knew Hakyeon had enjoyed himself. Biting his lip, he felt Hakyeon lean against him a little. His arm went around Hakyeon's waist instinctively and Wonshik found himself looking into Hakyeon's big, beautiful eyes. Leaning toward Hakyeon, bringing their lips closer together, his breathing was harsh and his nerves were on fire. And then Hakyeon's phone rang.

~~~

Jung Taekwoon had bought a boquet of his lover's favorite flowers when he got off for his lunch break, heading immediately to the cafe where he had promised to meet with Hakyeon. Usually the redhead beat him there but this time he was alone. Finding a table, he sat down to wait.

The clock ticked by the minutes as he waited but after ten minutes he was getting worried. Hakyeon was never late to meet him. What if something bad had happened? Pulling out his cellphone, he dialed the familiar number.

"What's up, Taek?" Hakyeon's voice sounded strained, causing Taekwoon's concern to increase.

"I'm at the cafe. Where are you? Are you alight?" He fought to keep the panic out of his voice.

"Oh! Lunch!" Hakyeon sounded like he was suddenly remembering something very important. "I'm sorry. I ran into an old friend and lost track of time. I'm on my way now."

"Okay. I'll order for you." Taekwoon sighed in relief, glad his lover was alright.

"Thanks. I love you." Hakyeon replied and Taekwoon felt a new wave of panic, hanging up, unable to think of a suitable reply. He groaned and smacked his head against the table, angry with himself.

As he waited for Hakyeon he wondered who his friend would have been. All of Hakyeon's friends were familiar to him. Hongbin and Sanghyuk had lunch with them every weekend and Jaehwan was always popping in and being annoying. Beyond those three, he couldn't think of who Hakyeon would be catching up with. Maybe he'd have to ask, but for the time being he was just going to be happy Hakyeon had been distracted and wasn't injured.