Choices

Evanesce

Kim Wonshik borrowed a truck from his mother's gardener, drving Hakyeon in silence back to the apartment. Intent was to repair what he broke, to give Hakyeon the happiness he wanted and deserved, but on the chance that he couldn't, he was prepared to gather up his belongings and bring the man home with him. Glancing over at the redhead, he vowed to do whatever he could to give him the life he needed.

"Hakyeon... Whatever happens..." Breaking the silence as he parked the truck, he turned to touch his love's cheek.

"Wonshik... Don't..." Sadness evident in his eyes, Hakyeon put his hand over Wonshik's and the blonde could feel it in his soul. He would be leaving this place alone.

"No. Baby, hear me out." Pressing his forehead against the tan man's, he closed his mind. "Whatever you choose... I just want you to be happy." Giving him what he was sure would be their final kiss, he slipped out of the truck and went around to help Hakyeon get out as well. 

Walking silently, hand in hand, Wonshik steadied his nerves. Aware of what was to come, his heart ached and tears welled up. Blinking, he fought them off, doing his best to savor his last few moments with the only person he ever cared for.

It took three knocks for Taekwoon to answer the apartment door, the smell of alcohol permeating from his pores, the living room destroyed as though a tornado had lived and died within its walls. Instinctively, Wonshik kept himself between the drunk man and Hakyeon, not trusting what he might do. Grabbing his collar, Taekwoon glared him down, free hand clenched into a fist.

"I should beat your face in..." The dark haired man whispered, seething with hatred. "I should smash your head into the wall until you die..." Glaring back, Wonshik refused to back down.

"Taekwoon!" Hakyeon let out a whimper, his fear evident, and Wonshik felt his arms wrap around his waist. "Taekwoon, please... Don't hurt him..."

"Hakyeon..?" As though awoken from a dream, Taekwoon turned to look at the shaking man. "Hakyeon..." Hugging the redhead in a tight embrace, pinning his arms to his side, Taekwoon pulled him away from Wonshik.

"O-ow... Stop..." Pushing the taller man away, Hakyeon stepped back, holding his injured shoulder. Moving between them, Wonshik gently pulled down Hakyeon's coat to inspect the inflamed flesh.

"It's starting to bruise..." Sighed, he shook his head. "Do you want to leave until he sobers up?" Knowing he had to walk away was one thing, but he couldn't leave his love in danger.

~~~

"No. I can do this." Cha Hakyeon gripped Wonshik's arms tightly, meeting his gaze for a moment before stepping away. Turing to Taekwoon, he felt his heart drop.

"Hakyeon? Did that punk hurt you?!" Taekwoon's anger almost took him by surprise. How could he ever believe Wonshik would hurt him?

"The one who did this damage is you..." Crossing his arms over his chest, Hakyeon did his best to contain his pain. "Last night... You did this to me..."

"I... I am so sorry..." Stepping closer, Taekwoon reached out to him. "Hakyeon... I love you... I love you, okay?" Words he had waited far too long to hear cut at him, making his head spin and his legs weak. Mind made up, Hakyeon moved away again until his back was against Wonshik's chest. Arms wrapped around him and he felt strength return.

"It's too late for that. I can't do it anymore." Tears began to fall down his cheeks as he watched confusion turn to hurt on Taekwoon's face. "I will always love you, but I can't be your secret anymore. I'm sorry."

"But I... I love you..." The pain in Taekwoon's voice was breaking his heart and he just wanted to escape.

"Hakyeon... You don't have to pick me..." Voice unsure, he felt Wonshik squeeze him gently. "I just want you to be happy."

"I'm doing what I need to do, to be happy..." Turning, he gave Wonshik a small, sad smile before retreating to the bedroom to pack his bags.

~~~

Jung Taekwoon watched in shocked silence as Wonshik packed up everything that belonged to the man he loved. A numb buzzing sensation began at the base of his skull as he slowly sank to the floor. Everything he had valued in life was leaving him and the only one he could blame was himself.

"Hakyeon..." Holding his arms out to the redhead once Wonshik left to bring the first boxes downstairs, he begged for forgiveness. "You don't have to do this... I... I'll change... I need you..."

"Taekwoon..." Hakyeon's cheeks were slick with tears and it made his chest ache. "I will never stop loving you... But in the end... Maybe this wasn't good for either of us. Take care of yourself, okay?" With those final words, Hakyeon lifted the box and exited his life, leaving only five pictures and an apartment key to remember him by.

Covering his face, Taekwoon began to sob. In less than twenty-four hours he had lost his entire world. It was over, and finally... Finally he knew how Hakyeon must have felt all those years by his side. He would change and become the man Hakyeon had always needed him to be. And maybe some day, if the chance arose, that beautiful redhead would return to his arms. Maybe someday...